Login 
canadian forums
bottom

Canadian Forums

Author Topic Options
CKA Moderator
CKA Moderator
PostPosted: Mon Aug 26, 2019 8:30 am

The Soviets actually had a pretty cool anthem, that Russia ripped off unapologetically.

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
 Toronto Maple Leafs

GROUP_AVATAR
PostPosted: Mon Aug 26, 2019 8:42 am

llama66 wrote:
Not to sound like a Communist, however; eventually we'll reach that point where people will not be able to purchase the baubles that bring these companies all their money and either the market will implode or we'll riot because we can no longer afford to live.

And I think that day will happen sooner, rather then later.

Or dig deeper into debt financed by greedy bankers, a vicious cycle.

CKA Super Elite
CKA Super Elite
 Toronto Maple Leafs
PostPosted: Mon Aug 26, 2019 8:47 am

DrCaleb wrote:
The Soviets actually had a pretty cool anthem, that Russia ripped off unapologetically.

They almost copied it word for word.

CKA Moderator
CKA Moderator
 Vancouver Canucks

GROUP_AVATAR
PostPosted: Mon Aug 26, 2019 1:45 pm

DrCaleb wrote:
Preaching to the choir there bud. The only way to offset our rise in taxes is to buy stocks from companies that pay dividends.

Which isn't an option for many people.

Sure it is. No one is stopping you from opening your own equity account and trading on your own. You can start buying stocks generally with just $25 to get your account going.

CKA Moderator
CKA Moderator
PostPosted: Tue Aug 27, 2019 5:19 am

BartSimpson wrote:
DrCaleb wrote:
Preaching to the choir there bud. The only way to offset our rise in taxes is to buy stocks from companies that pay dividends.

Sure it is. No one is stopping you from opening your own equity account and trading on your own. You can start buying stocks generally with just $25 to get your account going.

For many people, that $25 is the difference between paying the electric bill and eating.

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
 Montreal Canadiens
PostPosted: Tue Aug 27, 2019 6:09 am

Survival of the fittest. 8O

Forum Super Elite
Forum Super Elite
 Calgary Flames
PostPosted: Tue Aug 27, 2019 7:15 am

BeaverFever wrote:
The only thing new about this is that you conservatives are finally waking up to what we’ve been telling you for the last 40 years while you screamed and called us communists for even daring to bring up the subject. Welcome to the party.

If you'd stop chugging the Liberal Kool-Aid for a second, you'd see that this isn't a partisan issue. This is a 'state of the world' issue. Things that used to change by decade are now changing even faster.

Companies used to value loyalty and work ethic, and reward the employee accordingly. Nowadays, it's all about 'what have you done for me lately?' and 'what can I get out of you right now'. Add to the mix that most companies/businesses underpay, and a lot of people are happy just to have a job, and you have the volatile combination that exists today.

We're also on the doorstep of a recession, and that will degenerate things even quicker. Just wait until some companies/businesses start using it as an excuse to give layoff notices an such. Even though I am working two jobs, the thought of a recession is very unsettling.

We live in uncertain times.

-J.

CKA Super Elite
CKA Super Elite
 Toronto Maple Leafs
PostPosted: Tue Aug 27, 2019 8:23 am

CDN_PATRIOT wrote:
BeaverFever wrote:
The only thing new about this is that you conservatives are finally waking up to what we’ve been telling you for the last 40 years while you screamed and called us communists for even daring to bring up the subject. Welcome to the party.

If you'd stop chugging the Liberal Kool-Aid for a second, you'd see that this isn't a partisan issue. This is a 'state of the world' issue. Things that used to change by decade are now changing even faster.

Companies used to value loyalty and work ethic, and reward the employee accordingly. Nowadays, it's all about 'what have you done for me lately?' and 'what can I get out of you right now'. Add to the mix that most companies/businesses underpay, and a lot of people are happy just to have a job, and you have the volatile combination that exists today.

We're also on the doorstep of a recession, and that will degenerate things even quicker. Just wait until some companies/businesses start using it as an excuse to give layoff notices an such. Even though I am working two jobs, the thought of a recession is very unsettling.

We live in uncertain times.

-J.

This is the sad reality, It doesn't matter who's in, People are going to make less and pay more. The good news is this can't be maintained, the bad news is this can't be maintained.

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
 Dallas Stars

GROUP_AVATAR
PostPosted: Tue Aug 27, 2019 8:58 am

I didn't read the article but it got me thinking. Is at least part of the reason for less deposable income do to Debt such as student loans, credit cards, living beyond their means of income?

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
PostPosted: Tue Aug 27, 2019 9:03 am

Of course it’s partisan Left-wing attempts to reign in corporate greed over these last 40 years were largely unsuccessful as the rich got richer and everyone else got poorer.

Union-busting, offshoring, holding back the minimum wage, predatory lending, rampant real estate speculation, massive deregulation, privatizing public sector jobs, giving investors priority over employees and pensioners when a business goes bankrupt, allowing foreign corporate acquisitions with no direct benefit to Canada who then layoff all the Canadian workers, the list goes on and on.

So I say again: the left has been pointing this out for 40 years while you screamed communist at us just for daring to bring it up. Conservatives and centrists created this world, or at least allowed it to be created in the foolish belief that the wealth created would trickle down. It hasn’t. It never will. Trickledown economics is now widely exposed as a a right wing lie but by now the corporations have become far too powerful and control too much of government for anything to be easily done about it.

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
 Toronto Maple Leafs

GROUP_AVATAR
PostPosted: Tue Aug 27, 2019 9:40 am

BeaverFever wrote:
now the corporations have become far too powerful and control too much of government for anything to be easily done about it.

Including left wing governments.

CKA Super Elite
CKA Super Elite

GROUP_AVATAR
PostPosted: Tue Aug 27, 2019 10:10 am

Hmm. The ex used to get her birthday off with pay. If she didn't take any time off sick, she got an extra week "wellness" pay. I used to get a day off every month and was forced to take it off whether I wanted to or not. And 3 weeks vacation after two years there. and COLA clauses!
In the bad old days. When I quit 2 jobs in one day and had a third that paid more by 4:00 pm.
And BC's "free enterprise gov't" gave you $5000 to help buy a house. Not charged you &14,000 or more GST and $3500 transfer taxes...

Just came back from a wedding out of town. Bridesmaid had to leave town early and drive back as neither could get Sunday off. Her son couldn't make it at all, his boss wouldn't give him Saturday off to go to his mother's wedding.
Thank God for Reagan, Mulroney, Thatcher who fixed all that and the wimps that won't defend their own rights cuz it might be soshulist....

CKA Moderator
CKA Moderator
 Vancouver Canucks

GROUP_AVATAR
PostPosted: Tue Aug 27, 2019 10:28 am

DrCaleb wrote:
BartSimpson wrote:
DrCaleb wrote:

For many people, that $25 is the difference between paying the electric bill and eating.

Betcha' they'd have more money if they cancelled their cable subscription, ditched their $100 a month cell phone, stopped spending $100 or more every month for coffee, stopped eating out at fast food joints, didn't have expensive student loans to repay, and were not making payments on a stupid car they can't really afford. :idea:

Forum Elite
Forum Elite
PostPosted: Tue Aug 27, 2019 10:31 am

There’s a peak to everything.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 27, 2019 10:35 am

herbie wrote:
Thank God for Reagan, Mulroney, Thatcher who fixed all that and the wimps that won't defend their own rights cuz it might be soshulist....

Still whining about 40 years ago. :lol: