canadian forums
bottom

Canadian Forums

Author Topic Options
CKA Uber
CKA Uber
 Vancouver Canucks
PostPosted: Wed Mar 19, 2008 3:53 pm

<strong>Title: </strong> <a href="/link.php?id=31470" target="_blank">Tories want a recount in Vancouver Quadra</a> (click to view)

<strong>Category:</strong> <a href="/news/topic/1-political" target="_blank">Political</a>
<strong>Posted By: </strong> <a href="/modules.php?name=Your_Account&op=userinfo&username=mtbr" target="_blank">mtbr</a>
<strong>Date: </strong> 2008-03-20 11:35:10
<strong>Canadian</strong>

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
PostPosted: Wed Mar 19, 2008 3:53 pm

I doubt it will change the result but it's clever politics. It keeps the issue alive and will draw more attention to how close the Libs came to losing a supposedly safe Liberal seat. Clever stuff! No mudslinging just good politics!

Forum Super Elite
Forum Super Elite
PostPosted: Thu Mar 20, 2008 1:23 pm

agree the recount is a good idea and it shows the race was close , its not likely to change result as i know of lots of recounts over the years yet none that have changed the result enough to make a difference.

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
 Vancouver Canucks
PostPosted: Thu Mar 20, 2008 1:30 pm

EyeBrock EyeBrock:
I doubt it will change the result but it's clever politics. It keeps the issue alive and will draw more attention to how close the Libs came to losing a supposedly safe Liberal seat. Clever stuff! No mudslinging just good politics!

Not really. It makes sense to do simply because it's close enough to possibly overturn.

GROUP_AVATAR
PostPosted: Thu Mar 20, 2008 1:32 pm

I agree with sandorski, close elections like this should always be recounted for the sake of democracy.

CKA Super Elite
CKA Super Elite
 Ottawa Senators
PostPosted: Thu Mar 20, 2008 1:43 pm

I don't think it would change the result either... the recount will either place the CPC a handful of votes closer or farther. It would be nice if the recount did find the CPC victorious however... Dion would be shaking in his booties then. :lol:

Forum Super Elite
Forum Super Elite
 Toronto Maple Leafs
PostPosted: Thu Mar 20, 2008 1:52 pm

Aren't there automatic recounts in federal Canadian elections if the margin of victory is within "x"% (thought there was [huh] )?

CKA Super Elite
CKA Super Elite
 Montreal Canadiens
PostPosted: Thu Mar 20, 2008 2:42 pm

are there any torys who can count past 10 ? :) nice try

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
 Toronto Maple Leafs

GROUP_AVATAR
PostPosted: Thu Mar 20, 2008 2:53 pm

kenmore kenmore:
are there any torys who can count past 10 ? :) nice try

Eleventy two.

CKA Super Elite
CKA Super Elite
 Montreal Canadiens
PostPosted: Thu Mar 20, 2008 3:27 pm

lol.....gotta love it pluggy :)

CKA Super Elite
CKA Super Elite
PostPosted: Thu Mar 20, 2008 4:55 pm

sandorski

$1:
EyeBrock wrote:
$1:

Not really. It makes sense to do simply because it's close enough to possibly overturn.

Recounts are funny thing that really amount to more than just counting. Making calls on spoiled ballots for example. Remember that PQ referendum---if the make strayed beyond the box it was considered spoiled unless it suited the counters.

CKA Elite
CKA Elite
PostPosted: Thu Mar 20, 2008 5:31 pm

mapleleafsnation mapleleafsnation:
I agree with sandorski, close elections like this should always be recounted for the sake of democracy.

I agree with both of you.

CKA Elite
CKA Elite
PostPosted: Thu Mar 20, 2008 5:45 pm

They should be used to that in that riding. That one is always a close call. Even when John Turner won it as Liberal leader

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
PostPosted: Thu Mar 20, 2008 5:54 pm

sandorski sandorski:
EyeBrock EyeBrock:

Agreed, but it's a nice move for the Tories either way, plus it rocks that liberal boat a bit more. I'm not a rabid partisan, I just appreciate good strategy when I see it. It's been rare from both sides of the House recently.

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
PostPosted: Thu Mar 20, 2008 8:26 pm

lily lily:
$1:
I'm not a rabid partisan,

:lol: Good one!

Point out my partisan posts then Lily! People like derby can attest to my attitude. I vote Tory but I'm not blindly loyal. I am open to others ideas and suggestions, I just wouldn't vote liberal at the moment. If they changed a few policies I might rethink that.