canadian forums
bottom

Canadian Forums

Author Topic Options
CKA Uber
CKA Uber
 Vancouver Canucks
PostPosted: Fri Nov 22, 2019 9:23 am

Title: Toronto Star axes dozens of jobs despite taking $115K a week in federal bailout funds
Category: Business
Posted By: N_Fiddledog
Date: 2019-11-22 01:20:49
Canadian

Forum Junkie
Forum Junkie
PostPosted: Fri Nov 22, 2019 9:23 am

Even Fed money directly pumped in for the propaganda can't save the Red Star. They are truly that bad.

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
PostPosted: Fri Nov 22, 2019 9:34 am

Martin15 wrote:
Even Fed money directly pumped in for the propaganda can't save the Red Star. They are truly that bad.

^ That’s a big pile of propaganda right there.

:roll:

No news outlets have received any tax credits yet and a tax credit is not “money directly pumped in” but you people haven’t let ignorance stop you before so why start now?

CKA Uber
CKA Uber

GROUP_AVATAR
PostPosted: Fri Nov 22, 2019 12:39 pm

BeaverFever wrote:
Martin15 wrote:

No news outlets have received any tax credits yet and a tax credit is not “money directly pumped in” but you people haven’t let ignorance stop you before so why start now?

Quote:
Paul Godfrey, the CEO of Postmedia, which publishes the National Post and daily broadsheets in many of Canada’s largest cities, said that tax credit “could be looked upon as a turning point in the plight of newspapers in Canada.”

“I tip my hat to the prime minister and the finance minister. They deserve a lot of credit,” said Godfrey. “Everyone in journalism should be doing a victory lap around their building right now.”

https://nationalpost.com/news/politics/ ... -in-canada

Given who they were dealing with maybe they should have asked for the money up front. ROTFL

I guess the recipients of Trudeau's largess aren't so happy now that Socks has gotten re elected and they're not needed at the moment. But not to worry, I'm sure that around 2022 they'll be promised even more lucrative tax and charity packages to ensure their compliance.

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
 Vancouver Canucks

GROUP_AVATAR
PostPosted: Fri Nov 22, 2019 1:51 pm

2020 tax season isn't far off. But the Red Star axed the jobs now.

Quote:
According to the Canada Revenue Agency, the Refundable Labour Tax Credit included in the 2019 Liberal budget entitles media companies to get a maximum benefit of $13,750 per newsroom employee.

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
PostPosted: Fri Nov 22, 2019 3:36 pm

Freakinoldguy wrote:
BeaverFever wrote:
Martin15 wrote:

Quote:
Paul Godfrey, the CEO of Postmedia, which publishes the National Post and daily broadsheets in many of Canada’s largest cities, said that tax credit “could be looked upon as a turning point in the plight of newspapers in Canada.”

“I tip my hat to the prime minister and the finance minister. They deserve a lot of credit,” said Godfrey. “Everyone in journalism should be doing a victory lap around their building right now.”

https://nationalpost.com/news/politics/ ... -in-canada

Given who they were dealing with maybe they should have asked for the money up front. ROTFL

I guess the recipients of Trudeau's largess aren't so happy now that Socks has gotten re elected and they're not needed at the moment. But not to worry, I'm sure that around 2022 they'll be promised even more lucrative tax and charity packages to ensure their compliance.

It was always proposed as a credit for the 2019 tax assessment, which hasn’t happened yet. How did Fiddle figure that out before you did?

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
 Toronto Maple Leafs

GROUP_AVATAR
PostPosted: Fri Nov 22, 2019 3:43 pm

BeaverFever wrote:

It was always proposed as a credit bribe for the 2019 tax assessment, which hasn’t happened yet. How did Fiddle figure that out before you did?

Fixed.

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
 Vancouver Canucks

GROUP_AVATAR
PostPosted: Fri Nov 22, 2019 3:48 pm

The central question remains. Why is the Red Star axing it's employees now, just before it's windfall is due to come in?

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
PostPosted: Fri Nov 22, 2019 5:23 pm

N_Fiddledog wrote:
The central question remains. Why is the Red Star axing it's employees now, just before it's windfall is due to come in?

I guess it’s not quite the “windfall” you’re making it out to be, is it?

CKA Super Elite
CKA Super Elite

GROUP_AVATAR
PostPosted: Fri Nov 22, 2019 6:31 pm

Because it's utter BULLSHIT.
The gov't will not be handing them $6 million next year in any way shape or form.
It's just our local dispensor of fake news feeding the gullible their daily dose.

CKA Uber
CKA Uber

GROUP_AVATAR
PostPosted: Fri Nov 22, 2019 10:35 pm

BeaverFever wrote:

It was always proposed as a credit for the 2019 tax assessment, which hasn’t happened yet. How did Fiddle figure that out before you did?

There's a bit more to the Liberals largess than just a "tax credit" for the news media. They've essentially turned some of the these media outlets into charity organizations who can solicit donations and issue tax receipts for their donors which makes them a money making venture because unlike charities they don't donate their money.

But maybe you can clarify this for me because I looked and couldn't find any other businesses or corporations being given refunds for labour costs other than when they involve maintenance and repairs.

So it that common practice to give for profit organizations tax credits and refunds for their labour costs or is this another anomaly.

Quote:
Finance Minister Bill Morneau said the government wants to protect the “vital role that independent news media play in our democracy and in our communities.”

The plan in the government’s fiscal update allows non-profit news organizations to accept donations and issue tax receipts to donors. To be eligible, charitable journalism operations will have to release content for free under a creative commons licence, which the government hopes will have a knock-on effect for local news organizations that can post the stories or incorporate them into their own journalism.

The plan also includes a new refundable tax credit for labour costs at both for-profit and non-profit news organizations. To determine eligibility for the credit, the government plans to create an independent panel drawn from the “news and journalism community,” which will also “define and promote core journalism standards (and) define professional journalism.”

But it really doesn't matter anyway because much like the promises of our new warships, by the time the Liberals get around to issuing the refund checks most of these media outlets will be gone.

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
PostPosted: Fri Nov 22, 2019 10:46 pm

Well I know conservatives would love it if the only information sources were russian troll farms, it’s not good for democracy.

And you’re wrong about another thing (shocker). Only not-for-profit news organizations can apply for charitable status, allowing them to receive donations and issue tax receipts to donors.