Montreal Canadiens
PostPosted: Wed Apr 15, 2015 1:56 pm

mmmm, dig that new car smell, now with refried bean flavour ! :lol:

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
PostPosted: Wed Apr 15, 2015 4:16 pm

2Cdo 2Cdo:
Welcome to Liberal run Ontario. All the decent paying jobs heading out. :lol:

Where did you read this decision had anything to do with Liberal policy or even with Ontario? Also,The article suggests there won't be jobs lost as it says a new car will go into production at the Cambridge plant

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
 Montreal Canadiens
PostPosted: Wed Apr 15, 2015 4:18 pm

I had heard that they're replacing it with another model and investing another pile of money to re-tool that line. They are not shutting the line down.

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
 Vancouver Canucks

GROUP_AVATAR
PostPosted: Wed Apr 15, 2015 5:56 pm

Friend of mine bought a VW, drove it home and discovered on line it was built in Mexico.
Drove it back the nect day and screamed and carried on until they gave him 100% refund credit + $1000 on a German built model.

CKA Super Elite
CKA Super Elite
 Vancouver Canucks
PostPosted: Wed Apr 15, 2015 6:23 pm

herbie herbie:
Friend of mine bought a VW, drove it home and discovered on line it was built in Mexico.
Drove it back the nect day and screamed and carried on until they gave him 100% refund credit + $1000 on a German built model.

My Mexican built 2009 Jetta was nice looking but a lemon. My 2012 German built CC was nice looking but also had a few issues not much as the Jetta still when you buy German you expect it to be built in Germany not in a Mexican factory where it was built on a Friday.

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
 Montreal Canadiens
PostPosted: Wed Apr 15, 2015 6:53 pm

Volkswagen has had reliability issues for a very long time. Nice cars but the components have an inordinate tendency to go "boing".

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
 Vancouver Canucks

GROUP_AVATAR
PostPosted: Wed Apr 15, 2015 7:57 pm

Like my friends German built one that had the gas filler cover snap off in -35 weather his very first fill up?
He said the dealers cringed when they saw him come back... and of course fixed it immediately, lent him a car for the day while they did, gave him a restaurant gift certificate and a free tank of gas...

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
 Boston Bruins

GROUP_AVATAR
PostPosted: Thu Apr 16, 2015 5:44 am

BeaverFever BeaverFever:
2Cdo 2Cdo:

Where did you read this decision had anything to do with Liberal policy or even with Ontario? Also,The article suggests there won't be jobs lost as it says a new car will go into production at the Cambridge plant

I'll blame everything in Ontario on the government in charge of the province at the time, just like you and yours blame the Conservatives when they are in power.

I didn't get to read the article until this morning but I'll bet you dollars to donuts that jobs WILL be cut at this plant. I don't know how many, but there will be some.

CKA Moderator
CKA Moderator
PostPosted: Thu Apr 16, 2015 6:03 am

2Cdo 2Cdo:
I didn't get to read the article until this morning but I'll bet you dollars to donuts that jobs WILL be cut at this plant. I don't know how many, but there will be some.

Reports I've read say they won't lose jobs. Labour costs in Canada are too high for an entry level car like the Corolla. So that production goes to Mexico where labour is cheaper. The Cambridge plant is expected to produce higher value cars, like the Camry, where the labour costs still make the car profitable.

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
 Montreal Canadiens
PostPosted: Thu Apr 16, 2015 8:34 pm

DrCaleb DrCaleb:
2Cdo 2Cdo:

Reports I've read say they won't lose jobs. Labour costs in Canada are too high for an entry level car like the Corolla. So that production goes to Mexico where labour is cheaper. The Cambridge plant is expected to produce higher value cars, like the Camry, where the labour costs still make the car profitable.

The trade-off is that they get really high quality cars built in Canada. Thee Canadian lines tend to produce better built cars with fewer defects than from other jurisdictions in NAFTA. I can see, though, that it isn't enough of an advantage for a car that is going to sell formless that $20,000 or so. I surprised that even the Mexicans can compete against China.

CKA Uber
CKA Uber

GROUP_AVATAR
PostPosted: Thu Apr 16, 2015 10:24 pm

BeaverFever BeaverFever:
2Cdo 2Cdo:

Is it entirely the provincial Liberals fault? Not really, but their policies are a big factor in manufacturing going to Mexico and the southern US:

$1:
DesRosiers said a host of factors – labour costs, government regulations, tax structure, delays in building a third border crossing, lack of port infrastructure as well as lower costs and richer government incentives in other jurisdictions – are contributing to the industry’s ongoing decline.

When it comes to greenfield investments, Canada is no longer competitive, and the gap with other jurisdictions keeps growing, he said.

“The U.S. southern states have done almost everything in terms of government incentives, while governments here have grown more cautious.”

http://www.edmontonjournal.com/business ... story.html