canadian forums
bottom

Canadian Forums

Author Topic Options
CKA Uber
CKA Uber
 Vancouver Canucks
PostPosted: Tue May 19, 2020 4:48 pm

Title: Trudeau government cancelled replacement of 60-year-old Snowbird planes in 2018
Category: Military
Posted By: uwish
Date: 2020-05-18 14:43:58
Canadian

CKA Uber
CKA Uber

GROUP_AVATAR
PostPosted: Tue May 19, 2020 4:48 pm

It's in the new breed of Liberals DNA to cancel everything military the Conservatives may have implemented. So, this should come as no surprise given that every Liberal PM since Trudeau the senior seems to think cancelling military contracts, even ones their predecessors paid buckets of money to participate in is the best way to win votes and protect Canada.

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
PostPosted: Tue May 19, 2020 5:49 pm

Freakinoldguy Freakinoldguy:
It's in the new breed of Liberals DNA to cancel everything military the Conservatives may have implemented. So, this should come as no surprise given that every Liberal PM since Trudeau the senior seems to think cancelling military contracts, even ones their predecessors paid buckets of money to participate in is the best way to win votes and protect Canada.

Yeah just the liberal ones not any of the conservative ones over the decades eh lmao. Funny how that works out for those with liberal derangement syndrome

Harper was elected PM in 2006, the snowbirds were supposed to retire in 2010 and Harper deferred it to 2020 he didn’t implement jack squat. Announcing big spending projects in your final term as you’re on the way out the door is old political trick. Don’t let your liberal derangement or garbage rags like post millennial get in the way of actual facts.

https://www.google.ca/amp/s/nationalpos ... l-2030/amp

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
 Vancouver Canucks

GROUP_AVATAR
PostPosted: Tue May 19, 2020 7:22 pm

I wondered how long it would take for someone to turn a tragedy into a "blame Trudea" rant and meme.

CKA Uber
CKA Uber

GROUP_AVATAR
PostPosted: Tue May 19, 2020 8:41 pm

herbie herbie:
I wondered how long it would take for someone to turn a tragedy into a "blame Trudea" rant and meme.

About as long as it took him to use the Nova Scotia tragedy to tell Canada he was banning legal guns.

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
PostPosted: Tue May 19, 2020 9:03 pm

herbie herbie:

About as long as it took him to use the Nova Scotia tragedy to tell Canada he was banning legal guns.

Their new gun control bill already on the parliament’s agenda before the shooting and was also a campaign promise. Which was pointed out previously.

CKA Uber
CKA Uber

GROUP_AVATAR
PostPosted: Tue May 19, 2020 9:38 pm

BeaverFever BeaverFever:

Yeah just the liberal ones not any of the conservative ones over the decades eh lmao. Funny how that works out for those with liberal derangement syndrome

Harper was elected PM in 2006, the snowbirds were supposed to retire in 2010 and Harper deferred it to 2020 he didn’t implement jack squat. Announcing big spending projects in your final term as you’re on the way out the door is old political trick. Don’t let your liberal derangement or garbage rags like post millennial get in the way of actual facts.

https://www.google.ca/amp/s/nationalpos ... l-2030/amp

The snowbirds are 60 years old, so this falls on more gov'ts than the Harper one with the biggest onus being on our current PM, but hey you'll never admit that. I'll give you that the Harper gov't belatedly finally did something which is better than the Trudeau gov't that just cut the planes with no replacement in place.

I'm sure that the 775 million set aside for the planes was much better spent financially coercing the mainstream media with his 600 million dollar bailout? Hell he even had pocket change left over to spend on the important things like securing his rightful place on the UN Security council.

$1:
The vote to send a new country to the Security Council table at the United Nations is creeping up, and so is Canada's spending to secure a seat around that table.

Canada has been campaigning for one of the rotating slots on the UN Security Council for three years. There's one year left until that 2021 spot is decided, and the spending isn't slowing down.

https://www.cbc.ca/news/politics/canada ... -1.5113585

But, do me a favour and humour me about how Trudeau cancelling the plane purchase makes it Harper's fault because I'd be very interested to see how Trudeau's delaying the warship purchase till the 2030's and buying burned well used F18's after we've spent billions paying for the development of the F35 were Sir Robert Bordens fault.

I also wonder why the Liberals are still spending money on the development of a plane they have made no committment to buy?

$1:
The federal government has extended the $19-billion competition to replace Canada’s aging CF-18s by another mont h because of COVID-19 — one week after it made another multimillion-dollar investment into the development of the F-35 stealth fighter jet.

https://globalnews.ca/news/6910220/cana ... velopment/

And, please don't claim that it's because Canadian companies will get contracts from Lockheed Martin because they said very explicitly that these companies would lose out on the 825 million in contracts we were going to be awarded if we purchased another plane.

$1:
U.S. defence giant Lockheed Martin is warning Canada that $825 million in aerospace industrial contracts signed with Canadian companies to build and equip F-35 jets would be moved to other partner nations if the Trudeau government decides to buy a different fighter jet.

https://www.cbc.ca/news/politics/stealt ... -1.3629403

CKA Uber
CKA Uber

GROUP_AVATAR
PostPosted: Tue May 19, 2020 9:44 pm

BeaverFever BeaverFever:
herbie herbie:

Their new gun control bill already on the parliament’s agenda before the shooting and was also a campaign promise. Which was pointed out previously.

Then why did he also ban a type of coffee and an airsoft rifle if this was such a well thought out and prepared law?

My guess is Trudeau being Trudeau saw an opportunity to push his agenda through with no opposition and while parliament was in islolation and took it. Hell if he's willing to wait for two years to force legal gun owners to turn over their not assault rifles, why couldn't he wait till parliament was back in session before passing his anti gun bill? XD

CKA Elite
CKA Elite
 Calgary Flames

GROUP_AVATAR
PostPosted: Wed May 20, 2020 4:14 am

Trudeau is the common denominator for all that is wrong in Canada today.

-J.

CKA Uber
CKA Uber

GROUP_AVATAR
PostPosted: Wed May 20, 2020 1:24 pm

Oh please, defence spending has been screwed up for decades, and the blame falls on every government since Pearson.

Trudeau cannot claim much success on the defence portfolio aside from ordering another slushbreaker, new SAR aircraft and new rifles for the Canadian Rangers (if the last one is even a success is debateable).

Harper was quick to promise all sorts of stuff for the CAF, and then reneged when he got the bill. His per capita spending on defence in many years while he was PM was actually lower than Chretien during the so-called 'Decade of darkness' and the lowest spending since before WW2 was in 2013 and 2014 under Harper, at a measly 1.0% of GDP!

Remember Harper's "three heavy armed icebreakers" promise from 2006? Instead, he ordered five medium icebreakers with next to no weaponry, and Trudeau's Liberals added a sixth to the order. Harper's Canada First Defence Plan was so screwed up that NONE of its signature systems were ordered before they left office in 2015. They dithered on the JSS while our AORs were falling apart, they didn't get new DDHs even on the drawing board after a decade in office, and they didn't order new fighters, despite that being a 2011 election promise.

Harper wasn't a complete failure, buying new artillery and tanks for the Army, and CC-117 and CC-130J transport aircraft and Chinook heavy lift helos for the Air Force. The Navy however, got nothing, just decommissioned DDHs and AORs.

Chretien before him cancelled the EH-101s and cut spending on defence, cashing in a huge peace dividend when the troops came home from Europe (about $1 Billion/year IIRC), and also sold off the Chinook helos. Despite his cuts, he grudgingly ordered the LAVs, Griffon helos, MCDVs, and one of the worst purchases in Canadian military hisory (up there with the Ross Rifle) - the Victoria SSK subs.

Mulroney was like Harper and promised big in 1988 and then balked at the bill, and bought almost nothing from his 1987 White Paper on Defence. His one saving grace was that he ordered an additional six Halifax frigates for the Navy.

Trudeau Senior made all sorts of disasterous decisions for the Forces (cutting spending to under 2.0 % most years, getting rid of HMCS Bonaventure and unification are prime examples), but at least he bought new tanks, fighters, destroyers, frigates and other weapons systems often enough to keep our NATO allies somewhat happy. His per capita spending was MUCH higher than Harper's and only a little lower than Mulroney's.

The last PM who didn't drop the ball on defence was Pearson, and that's probably because he lived through WW2 and knew that the cost of war was far higher than preventing it by being ready for one.

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
PostPosted: Wed May 20, 2020 5:48 pm

The snowbirds are 60 years old, so this falls on more gov'ts than the Harper one with the biggest onus being on our current PM, but hey you'll never admit that. I'll give you that the Harper gov't belatedly finally did something which is better than the Trudeau gov't that just cut the planes with no replacement in place.

I'm sure that the 775 million set aside for the planes was much better spent financially coercing the mainstream media with his 600 million dollar bailout? Hell he even had pocket change left over to spend on the important things like securing his rightful place on the UN Security council.

$1:
The vote to send a new country to the Security Council table at the United Nations is creeping up, and so is Canada's spending to secure a seat around that table.

Canada has been campaigning for one of the rotating slots on the UN Security Council for three years. There's one year left until that 2021 spot is decided, and the spending isn't slowing down.

https://www.cbc.ca/news/politics/canada ... -1.5113585

But, do me a favour and humour me about how Trudeau cancelling the plane purchase makes it Harper's fault because I'd be very interested to see how Trudeau's delaying the warship purchase till the 2030's and buying burned well used F18's after we've spent billions paying for the development of the F35 were Sir Robert Bordens fault.

I also wonder why the Liberals are still spending money on the development of a plane they have made no committment to buy?

$1:
The federal government has extended the $19-billion competition to replace Canada’s aging CF-18s by another mont h because of COVID-19 — one week after it made another multimillion-dollar investment into the development of the F-35 stealth fighter jet.

https://globalnews.ca/news/6910220/cana ... velopment/

And, please don't claim that it's because Canadian companies will get contracts from Lockheed Martin because they said very explicitly that these companies would lose out on the 825 million in contracts we were going to be awarded if we purchased another plane.

$1:
U.S. defence giant Lockheed Martin is warning Canada that $825 million in aerospace industrial contracts signed with Canadian companies to build and equip F-35 jets would be moved to other partner nations if the Trudeau government decides to buy a different fighter jet.

https://www.cbc.ca/news/politics/stealt ... -1.3629403

Funny there’s a CKA thread right now about the 4.7 BILLION Trudeau spent for new SAR Aircraft that are being delivered as we speak.

Keep whining about how Trudeau is singularly responsible for the Tutors that every single PM including your beloved Harper, kicked the can on. Harper postponed the project for TEN YEARS, well after his government would be out of office, he had no intention of spending a penny.

The fact is that Canadian governments both liberal and conservative have been absolutely terrible at military procurement all the way back to colonial times and outside of WE2 neither conservative nor liberals had any interest in procurement except to create jobs and generate profits for lobbyists. What’s hilarious is you cherry-picking only the liberals for criticism when conservatives have been no better. Military mismanagement is as Canadian as Maple syrup and hockey amd BOTH parties have been equally inept throughout history.

As for the gun ban I told you it was already on the agenda before the shooting and they simply fast tracked it I didn’t say they had a complete list of all the guns. But here’s a national post article debunking the right wing bullshit about them banning coffee, air soft rifles etc. They are actually real firearms components. Don’t you guys feel embarrassed that Trudeau knows more about guns than you do?

https://www.google.ca/amp/s/nationalpos ... es-why/amp