GROUP_AVATAR
PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2012 12:11 pm

andyt andyt:

Awesome! :lol:

Forum Super Elite
Forum Super Elite
PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2012 12:30 pm

Gunnair Gunnair:
Huh. Well, so the guy supports in principle but won't support a divisive public policy that cost a lot but sis not work all that well. Fair enough.

No, I don't think that's "fair enough". The "divisive" part is just obfuscation and needs to be discarded. Then you arrive at the kernel of the matter --- He would still support a policy that he characterizes as a failure.

Doesn't make much sense, does it. :oops:

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2012 12:39 pm

Jonny_C Jonny_C:
No, I don't think that's "fair enough". The "divisive" part is just obfuscation and needs to be discarded. Then you arrive at the kernel of the matter --- He would still support a policy that he characterizes as a failure.

No, that's not it at all. The failure has already happened. Keeping the registry doesn't further the failure. That failure is in the past. If Quebeckers want to keep it, Trudeau says he'd support that. That's a very different thing from supporting a policy that he characterizes as a failure.

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
 Vancouver Canucks

GROUP_AVATAR

GROUP_AVATAR
PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2012 1:27 pm

Jonny_C Jonny_C:
Gunnair Gunnair:
Huh. Well, so the guy supports in principle but won't support a divisive public policy that cost a lot but sis not work all that well. Fair enough.

Doesn't make much sense, does it. :oops:

To me the kernel of the matter is that he will not resurrect it irrespective of his regional musing.

I'll take that from a politician and be content.

Forum Super Elite
Forum Super Elite
PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2012 2:15 pm

Continuing his "musing" ways may well be a trap he falls into...

http://fullcomment.nationalpost.com/201 ... n-remarks/

PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2012 2:17 pm

The pretty pony rides again!

Forum Super Elite
Forum Super Elite
PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2012 2:28 pm

Lemmy Lemmy:
Jonny_C Jonny_C:
No, that's not it at all. The failure has already happened. Keeping the registry doesn't further the failure. That failure is in the past. If Quebeckers want to keep it, Trudeau says he'd support that. That's a very different thing from supporting a policy that he characterizes as a failure.

Trudeau said that the long-gun registry was a failure, and that there are better ways to keep Canadians safe.

Oh, I forgot, Quebeckers aren't Canadians. 8O

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2012 2:48 pm

Jonny_C Jonny_C:
Trudeau said that the long-gun registry was a failure, and that there are better ways to keep Canadians safe.

Yes, and he's right. So what?

Jonny_C Jonny_C:
Oh, I forgot, Quebeckers aren't Canadians. 8O
:?

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
 Vancouver Canucks
PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2012 10:29 pm

PluggyRug PluggyRug:
What we need is a shorter long gun registry and a longer short gun registry.

Funny!

Forum Super Elite
Forum Super Elite
PostPosted: Thu Dec 06, 2012 1:05 pm

Lemmy Lemmy:
Jonny_C Jonny_C:

Yes, and he's right. So what?

So in Quebec he says that he would support what in the rest of Canada he calls a failed policy. I'm not getting why this is so hard for you to understand. It must be some "Liberal" filter getting in the way.

I, on the other hand, don't think the proclivity for talking so blatantly out of both sides of your mouth is a good recommendation for an aspiring PM.

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
PostPosted: Thu Dec 06, 2012 2:10 pm

You must be dim. The policy is failed not becuase it's useless but because its costs do not justify its benefits. But those costs, being sunk costs are in the past, so at this point, there's no reason not to keep it, if a certain region chooses to do so. Get your head out of your ass.

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
PostPosted: Thu Dec 06, 2012 2:22 pm

Lemmy Lemmy:
You must be dim. The policy is failed not becuase it's useless but because its costs do not justify its benefits. But those costs, being sunk costs are in the past, so at this point, there's no reason not to keep it, if a certain region chooses to do so. Get your head out of your ass.

The gun registry isn't revenue neutral.

Where's the sense keeping a program that costs money and does nothing for public safety? We paid 66.4 million from 2010-2011 to maintain this program.

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
PostPosted: Thu Dec 06, 2012 2:39 pm

It doesn't "do nothing for public safety". Police chiefs unanimously support keeping it because it is of some value. Not enough to justify the total cost, but certainly enough to justify the up-keep, at least among Quebeckers who seem willing to pay to keep it.

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
PostPosted: Thu Dec 06, 2012 2:42 pm

OnTheIce OnTheIce:
Where's the sense keeping a program that costs money and does nothing for public safety? We paid 66.4 million from 2010-2011 to maintain this program.

Wait a minute, what? But Lemmy just said those costs were in the past?

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
PostPosted: Thu Dec 06, 2012 2:43 pm

2010-2011 is in the past. What calendar are you using?

Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 102 posts ]  Previous  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  Next