canadian forums
bottom

Canadian Forums

Author Topic Options
CKA Uber
CKA Uber
 Vancouver Canucks
PostPosted: Sun Jun 18, 2017 9:21 am

Title: U.S. punishes American firm after its Canadian subsidiary leases cars to Cuban embassy in Ottawa
Category: Business
Posted By: ShepherdsDog
Date: 2017-06-18 09:17:10
Canadian

CKA Uber
CKA Uber

GROUP_AVATAR
PostPosted: Sun Jun 18, 2017 9:21 am

The useless tit we have in Ottawa should tell the whiny little bitch in Washington to go F*ck himself rather than Ivanka

Forum Junkie
Forum Junkie
PostPosted: Sun Jun 18, 2017 12:35 pm

What is this obsession US politicians have with Cuba? Granted it's close and easy to push around but, still, they should be thinking more about that plump young lad in North Korea right about now.

I remember when they threatened to arrest French businessmen over breaches of Helms-Burton, the French just said fine, we'll arrest some of your guys too for reasons yet to be determined. Result: no French guys arrested.

Forum Elite
Forum Elite
PostPosted: Sun Jun 18, 2017 4:17 pm

I can't think of a more failed American policy in modern history than this Cuban embargo bull shit!!! I'm 52 years old. The embargo started before I was even born. I can't even count how many American Presidents have come and gone (and even died for that matter) attempting to change things in Cuba. Talk about banging your head against a wall. The very definition of insanity. President Obama made a step in the right direction. His mistake was not going all the way. He should have ended the embargo, normalized relations, the whole nine yards, (also a lot earlier than he did). There would be so much back and forth trade and traffic that it would create a firestorm to even talk about changing things for the worse. Obama did not go far enough. Trump is reinstituting the most failed, pathetic policy ever concocted in American policy. Hell we have better relations and trade with Vietnam FFS!!! Sometimes you have to know when to quit.

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
PostPosted: Sun Jun 18, 2017 5:54 pm

i feel the rest of the cuba thing was intended to be dealt with after barack passed the baton to hillary. probably intended to have her finish a lot of the kind of things he intended.

which was stupid, greedy, and arrogant.

CKA Super Elite
CKA Super Elite

GROUP_AVATAR
PostPosted: Sun Jun 18, 2017 9:28 pm

If the definition of insanity is doing the same thing repeatedly and expecting different results, then Trump going back to this policy proves he's insane.
Just read a post elsewhere supporting Trump's move: because Cuba got everything it wanted but America gets nothing.
What did they want, forgiveness?

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
 San Jose Sharks

GROUP_AVATAR
PostPosted: Mon Jun 19, 2017 9:07 am

rickc wrote:
I can't think of a more failed American policy in modern history than this Cuban embargo bull shit!!! I'm 52 years old. The embargo started before I was even born. I can't even count how many American Presidents have come and gone (and even died for that matter) attempting to change things in Cuba. Talk about banging your head against a wall. The very definition of insanity. President Obama made a step in the right direction. His mistake was not going all the way. He should have ended the embargo, normalized relations, the whole nine yards, (also a lot earlier than he did). There would be so much back and forth trade and traffic that it would create a firestorm to even talk about changing things for the worse. Obama did not go far enough. Trump is reinstituting the most failed, pathetic policy ever concocted in American policy. Hell we have better relations and trade with Vietnam FFS!!! Sometimes you have to know when to quit.

The trade embargo with Cuba started when Cuba seized American-owned companies and American bank assets in Cuba without compensation. The matter of that compensation is still unresolved and until it is we choose not to do business with people who steal from us.

That's our choice as a sovereign nation.

In the meantime Cuba is perfectly free to trade with everyone else.

The policy is not a failure for anyone but Cuba. The US hasn't suffered one damned bit because we don't trade with a communist dictatorship but that dictatorship has suffered because they don't have access to the wealthiest consumer market in the world.

Let them release their political prisoners, hold free elections, and then settle their accounts and we'll be happy to do business with them. Until then we won't.

That's our choice.

Now what I do object to is the US trying to enforce our rules on Canada. That's not right. Not in the least.

Forum Junkie
Forum Junkie
PostPosted: Mon Jun 19, 2017 8:44 pm

BartSimpson wrote:
rickc wrote:

The trade embargo with Cuba started when Cuba seized American-owned companies and American bank assets in Cuba without compensation. The matter of that compensation is still unresolved and until it is we choose not to do business with people who steal from us.

The policy is not a failure for anyone but Cuba. The US hasn't suffered one damned bit because we don't trade with a communist dictatorship but that dictatorship has suffered because they don't have access to the wealthiest consumer market in the world.

Let them release their political prisoners, hold free elections, and then settle their accounts and we'll be happy to do business with them. Until then we won't.

That's our choice.

Now what I do object to is the US trying to enforce our rules on Canada. That's not right. Not in the least.

Well now, you do trade with some dictatorships. You trade with the Chinese, the Arabs and the Stans and you don't give a damn about their human rights abuses so let's drop the hypocrisy here. Trump even said that on his bizarre visit to KSA. You have even kept a piece of Cuba, Guantanamo, taken under duress during a war long before Castro, essentially stealing it with some legal gibberish. Now you use it as an infamous prison colony - and again you've no guilt about that. And then you have the gall to lecture the Cubans about theft. BTW do you think the indigenous people of your country were adequately compensated for the land taken from them?

Cuba's real crime is to stand up for itself. The nerve of those people. Haven't they heard of the Monroe Doctrine? Don't they know Cuba should be just an offshore playground for Americans like it was in the good old days when those people knew their place.

Last edited by Sunnyways on Tue Jun 20, 2017 5:04 am, edited 1 time in total.

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
PostPosted: Mon Jun 19, 2017 9:23 pm

BartSimpson wrote:
rickc wrote:

That's our choice.

Once again I call bullshit.

Funny none of your objections have prevented any Republicans from trading with "communist dictatorship" China or "communist dictatorship" Vietnam, both of whom have killed tens of thousands of US servicemen in direct combat.

In fact the Republican Richard Nixon is the one who visited China to open trade not even 20 years after Chinese soldiers were running bayonets through the bellies of American GIs in an offensive that would cause one of the longest retreats in US military history, and from which the US never regained territory . And Nixon initiated this even as the Chinese were supporting North Vietnam against the US. Donald Trump still makes his fashion line in China despite all his American jobs lies.

Any response to that Bart?

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
 Montreal Canadiens
PostPosted: Mon Jun 19, 2017 9:55 pm

Sunnyways wrote:
Well now, you do trade with some dictatorships. You trade with the Chinese, the Arabs and the Stans and you don't give a damn about their human rights abuses so let's drop the hypocrisy here. Trump even said that on his bizarre visit to KSA. You have even kept a piece of Cuba, Guantanamo, taken under duress during a war long before Castro, essentially stealing it with some legal gibberish. Now you use it as an infamous prison colony - and again you've no guilt about that. And then you have the gall to lecture the Cubans about theft. BTW do you think the undigenous people of your country were adequately compensated for the land taken from them?

Cuba's real crime is to stand up for itself. The nerve of those people. Haven't they heard of the Monroe Doctrine? Don't they know Cuba should be just an offshore playground for Americans like it was in the good old days when those people knew their place.

:lol: :lol:

How can you be taken seriously when you post nonsense like this ?

The 'other dictatorships' didn't nationalize and steal American assets in the their countries.
The deal with Cuba over Gitmo is fine and legal. You are welcome to show us the court decisions that says otherwise.
Until then, you are just posting lies.
And your pathetic slide of "undigenous" strawman is just funny.

So, which one is it ?

Are you truly ignorant ?
Are you just stupid ?
Are you being paid by Castro ?

:lol:

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
 Dallas Stars

GROUP_AVATAR
PostPosted: Tue Jun 20, 2017 12:52 am

IMO If Cuba and the US settle up on money issues from frozen accounts and nationalized US owned businesses why not normalize relations. As for political prisoners and such we deal with other countries that do the same and never say a word about it, unless it's behind closed doors. The US wants to change Cuba do it via trade and tourism. Would love to go there some day and see what it's like.

Forum Junkie
Forum Junkie
PostPosted: Tue Jun 20, 2017 4:49 am

martin14 wrote:
The 'other dictatorships' didn't nationalize and steal American assets in the their countries.
The deal with Cuba over Gitmo is fine and legal. You are welcome to show us the court decisions that says otherwise.
Until then, you are just posting lies.
And your pathetic slide of "undigenous" strawman is just funny
So, which one is it ?

Are you truly ignorant ?
Are you just stupid ?
Are you being paid by Castro ?

:lol:

Thank you for your reply. Might I suggest you read what was written? If one bring up Cuba's deplorable record on human rights in this way as a reason for sanctions (and not as a simple fact), one should be prepared for the obvious comparisons that illustrate America's double standard in this matter.

History shows that small countries have to live with treaties while big countries change them. That is what I mean by legal gibberish. Guantanamo is retained by force and Cuban sovereignty is not respected in any way.

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
PostPosted: Tue Jun 20, 2017 5:43 am

America's failed Cuba policy isn't about anything except getting votes in Florida, plain and simple.

CKA Uber
CKA Uber

GROUP_AVATAR
PostPosted: Tue Jun 20, 2017 6:29 am

BartSimpson wrote:

This is not the first time, nor will it be the last, that Helms-Burton has been enforced on a Canadian company.

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
 Montreal Canadiens
PostPosted: Tue Jun 20, 2017 6:45 am

Sunnyways wrote:
Guantanamo is retained by force and Cuban sovereignty is not respected in any way.

:roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll:

No, it isn't.

Stop posting lies and bullshit.