bottom

Canadian Forums

Author Topic Options
CKA Uber
CKA Uber
 Montreal Canadiens
PostPosted: Fri Aug 01, 2014 2:21 am

Winnipegger Winnipegger:

I had admired the nuclear reprocessing plant in Italy, which recovers usable nuclear fuel from reactor fuel that has accumulated so much waste that they can't be used any more. There's still a lot of uranium in that "spent" fuel. Reactors transmute some uranium into other elements close to it on the periodic table. However, most of those other elements can be used as fuel. The reactor in Italy uses those other elements as fuel to run the process, and generate energy as it produces fuel for other reactors. Neither Canada nor America has anything like that. But Germany wants to shut this system down? Typical politician over-reaction. Japan had identified the problem with their reactor design, and was building reactors to replace the old ones. Unfortunately the earthquake hit before the new reactors were ready.

I would characterize moving from nuclear to non-renewable fossil fuel as moving backward. But moving from energy independence to dependence on Russia? I would like to include Russia in the world economy, but becoming dependant on them while the Ukraine situation is happening? That's just stupid.

I don't know what you are on about with Italy, nuclear died after Chernobyl, and that was in the 80's.

They now import nuclear generated electricity, mostly from Slovakia.

Funny, most Italians completely fail to see the irony in Enel buying and producing
nuclear power, only not on Italian soil.
But then it's ok, others can get irradiated, no problem.

Germany closing NPPs and moving to gas is the direct result of electing utterly retarded Greens to Parliament.

Yes, the left wingers really are this stupid.

CKA Elite
CKA Elite
PostPosted: Fri Aug 01, 2014 4:34 am

CKA Moderator
CKA Moderator
 Vancouver Canucks

GROUP_AVATAR
PostPosted: Fri Aug 01, 2014 4:33 pm

First off, "Vice" is the investigative news magazine for HBO - the folks who bring you 'Real Time with Bill Maher'. They're not typically anti-Russian. Just saying.

Now Vice is reporting that the Crimean Tatars are being persecuted by the Russians.

Again.

https://news.vice.com/video/crimea-march-of-the-tatars

Forum Elite
Forum Elite
PostPosted: Fri Aug 01, 2014 5:53 pm

PostFactum: could you help with translation? I used translate.google.ca and translate.bing.com for this. But I don't understand "prodovzhuetsya duty seven naval-katernymy Task Force". I don't understand the words "prodovzhuetsya" and "katernymy".

Thanks

CKA Elite
CKA Elite
PostPosted: Fri Aug 01, 2014 9:45 pm

Winnipegger Winnipegger:
PostFactum: could you help with translation? I used translate.google.ca and translate.bing.com for this. But I don't understand "prodovzhuetsya duty seven naval-katernymy Task Force". I don't understand the words "prodovzhuetsya" and "katernymy".

Thanks

Продовжується (prodovzuetsja) - continues
Катер (kater) - boat
katernymy (Катерними) - with boats: they mean "naval"

"In the Azov Sea, in order to prevent the infiltration of subversive-intelligence groups on the coast of Donetsk region and security raids of ports of Mariupol and Berdyansk, continues duty of seven naval tactical groups"

CKA Elite
CKA Elite
PostPosted: Sat Aug 02, 2014 1:00 am

Today we saw this:

Forum Elite
Forum Elite
PostPosted: Sat Aug 02, 2014 4:45 am

The word "infantry" is based on the word "infant", meaning child. Children have been used as soldiers for as long as history can remember. Sad.

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
 Montreal Canadiens
PostPosted: Sat Aug 02, 2014 5:04 am

... and Canada did it too, a hundred years ago (including one of my at-the-time 15 year old relatives who wrote "18" on his attestation papers).

CKA Elite
CKA Elite
PostPosted: Sat Aug 02, 2014 6:30 am

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
 Vancouver Canucks

GROUP_AVATAR

GROUP_AVATAR
PostPosted: Sat Aug 02, 2014 7:14 am

Winnipegger Winnipegger:
The word "infantry" is based on the word "infant", meaning child. Children have been used as soldiers for as long as history can remember. Sad.

Only by modern standards is it sad. Children have indeed been employed in the military since time immemorial - be they drummers, midshipmen, ship's boys etc. It might be sad to see it happening now but to apply 2014 moral standards on Nelson as a 12 year old midshipman is wrong.

Then again, when one is at war, morals shift and the concept of a child soldier isn't so terrible.

CKA Moderator
CKA Moderator
 Vancouver Canucks

GROUP_AVATAR
PostPosted: Sat Aug 02, 2014 8:27 am

Winnipegger Winnipegger:

Infantry comes from the Latin infante which means a foot soldier.

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
 Montreal Canadiens
PostPosted: Sat Aug 02, 2014 5:59 pm

Marine comes from the old cooking term marinate ... to soak in booze, etc.

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
 Montreal Canadiens
PostPosted: Sat Aug 02, 2014 6:03 pm

...derived from the Latin word infantem (“babe in arms”).

CKA Elite
CKA Elite
PostPosted: Sun Aug 03, 2014 10:09 am

Look at this nice picture.

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
 Montreal Canadiens
PostPosted: Sun Aug 03, 2014 2:22 pm

What are those? Regular Russian Army military uniforms?

Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 2612 posts ]  Previous  1 ... 154  155  156  157  158  159  160 ... 175  Next