canadian forums
bottom

Canadian Forums

Author Topic Options
CKA Uber
CKA Uber
 Vancouver Canucks
PostPosted: Tue Aug 10, 2021 7:22 am

Title: 'Up to 1 million' bitcoin processors could be relocated to Alberta from China under energy firm's proposal | CBC News
Category: Tech
Posted By: DrCaleb
Date: 2021-08-10 06:31:10
Canadian

CKA Moderator
CKA Moderator
PostPosted: Tue Aug 10, 2021 7:22 am

Do not want.

CKA Uber
CKA Uber

GROUP_AVATAR
PostPosted: Tue Aug 10, 2021 8:32 am

$1:
It's unclear what the project could mean for Alberta's tax base. Black Rock said the site would be staffed by Chinese and English speaking technicians and other employees, but it's unclear how many jobs the project would entail.

The irony that Chinese jobs are getting outsourced to Canada is delicious, but I'm still not interested in having these in Alberta, because they'll eat up energy, create extra emissions from fossil fuels, and likely not add very much to our tax base.

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
 Vancouver Canucks
PostPosted: Tue Aug 10, 2021 11:20 am

Let's heat up the planet by having millions of computers generate huge prime numbers. How stupid is that?

CKA Moderator
CKA Moderator
PostPosted: Tue Aug 10, 2021 11:23 am

Zipperfish Zipperfish:
Let's heat up the planet by having millions of computers generate huge prime numbers. How stupid is that?

You don't get rewarded for verifying the CRC of the blockchain. It's random. So extra stupid.

Forum Super Elite
Forum Super Elite
PostPosted: Tue Aug 10, 2021 12:36 pm

If they built something to draw the heat and used it to heat local neighbourhoods I’m sure it will be fine (free heat for all!!!).

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
 Calgary Flames
PostPosted: Tue Aug 10, 2021 5:09 pm

I'm sure that in the fine print the UCP has already ensured that the full cost falls on the taxpayer each and every time this crypto crap-currency goes through it's usual cycle of collapses. Free market? Hoorah! :roll:

Forum Elite
Forum Elite
PostPosted: Wed Aug 11, 2021 12:19 pm

I get that oil and gas aren't what they used to be, but does that really justify turning to glorified Ponzi schemes to diversify our economy?

Plus, the computers that run these things are incredible energy hogs. Is that something our electricity grid really needs right now?