canadian forums
bottom

Canadian Forums

Author Topic Options
CKA Uber
CKA Uber
 Vancouver Canucks
PostPosted: Sat Apr 19, 2014 8:29 am

Title: Veal industry under scrutiny after hidden camera footage reveals horrific conditions and abuse
Category: Business
Posted By: wildrosegirl
Date: 2014-04-19 08:27:06
Canadian

News Moderator
News Moderator
 Edmonton Oilers

Warnings: (-20%)
PostPosted: Sat Apr 19, 2014 8:29 am

Regulations and guidelines need to be put in place, and enforced, throughout the entire livestock industry.
Yesterday.

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
PostPosted: Sat Apr 19, 2014 8:39 am

I'm by no means a member of PETA. Like my meat, try not to think about where it's coming from too much. But I do draw the line at veal. I'd like to see us move to grass fed beef the way the Aussies and Kiwis do that produces delicious meat.

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
 Toronto Maple Leafs

GROUP_AVATAR
PostPosted: Sat Apr 19, 2014 8:42 am

andyt andyt:
I'm by no means a member of PETA. Like my meat, try not to think about where it's coming from too much. But I do draw the line at veal. I'd like to see us move to grass fed beef the way the Aussies and Kiwis do that produces delicious meat.

Me too, although the mighty dollar prevails.

News Moderator
News Moderator
 Edmonton Oilers

PostPosted: Sat Apr 19, 2014 8:54 am

Research the current practices of most chicken and pig barns, and the large cattle growers. They've all become equally as irresponsible. It's disgusting. That's largely the reason I've become and "evil hunter". I'm 100 times more humane.

News Moderator
News Moderator
 Edmonton Oilers

PostPosted: Sat Apr 19, 2014 8:55 am

andyt andyt:
I'd like to see us move to grass fed beef the way the Aussies and Kiwis do that produces delicious meat.

Our smaller farmers still do it that way.

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
PostPosted: Sat Apr 19, 2014 8:55 am

Canada is just phasing out using antibiotics for growth purposes and also the egg industry is voluntarily ending injecting each egg with antibiotics (didn't know they did that), so there is room to do better. As I say, the Aussies seem to make a go of it only range feeding beef - those cattle lead a natural life on the range, are not penned up in fattening pens (afaik) and are then slaughtered. Doesn't seem too bad a life of a cow vs any alternative (not existing, living in the wild). We don't need to grow Kobe beef, but we can improve our practices, make things a bit better for the animals, and produce better quality meat at the same time.

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
PostPosted: Sat Apr 19, 2014 8:56 am

There's also those hidden camera vids from inside turkey farms - not nice at all.

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
PostPosted: Sat Apr 19, 2014 9:13 am

The whole meet industry is like this. It's just just some we subconsciously accept as a fait accompli and don't really question how the food we eat gets to our plates. At least I do.

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
 Montreal Canadiens
PostPosted: Sat Apr 19, 2014 10:45 am

One of my cousins had a veal operation like this. He's a decent guy and he decided on his own that it was just too much and he wound it down, went back to school and he's a P. Accountant now.

Livestock can be raised humanely and a lot of it is, though. If you want cheap food (and most people do) there is a direct correlation between cutting costs and forcing animals into crowded feed lots and "containerised" living. You, the consumer, drives all of that not the nasty, old farmers.

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
PostPosted: Sat Apr 19, 2014 10:47 am

So the farmers are just meeting a demand, like drug dealers? It's a two way street, one that should be cleaned up by the cop on the beat - the govt.

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
 Montreal Canadiens
PostPosted: Sat Apr 19, 2014 10:58 am

The cop on the beat will be pelted with vegetables if he causes a doubling of our meat prices. The consumer, you and I, drive this. " The old clarion call: Why doesn't the government DO something about it?" Why don't the public grow up and start thinking for themselves?

Last edited by Jabberwalker on Sat Apr 19, 2014 12:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
PostPosted: Sat Apr 19, 2014 11:21 am

Because at the moment, for most people the choice is between the regular product or a specialty product that costs a lot more. If industrial production was just humanized a bit more, it would only raise prices a bit and still be more humane to the animals as well as producing a better and healthier quality meat.

I've already pointed out that the govt has banned wholesale antibiotic use and other drugs, being phased in. And I've pointed out that Australia manages to produce a leaner, healthier, very tasty beef by grass feeding only without it becoming way overpriced.

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
 Montreal Canadiens
PostPosted: Sat Apr 19, 2014 12:10 pm

Australia doesn't have winter ... at least not like ours. That is a huge competitive advantage to not have to feed animals during a cold winter when nothing grows. Why are our supermarkets full of New Zealand lamb and not Canadian lamb? The New Zealander don't have to make hay and their sheep happily range all year.