Category: Sports
Posted By: Freakinoldguy
Date: 2016-11-24 01:45:22
Canadian

CKA Uber
CKA Uber

GROUP_AVATAR
PostPosted: Thu Nov 24, 2016 2:50 am

The Devil's minion, Gary Bettman strikes again. Even more dilution of a once great league just so the owners can pocket even more money.

Given that most people don't go to Vegas to watch a hockey game, I'd say that in about 5 years when the new owners discover this, the good people of Quebec City may just get that NHL franchise they so richly deserve.

CKA Uber
CKA Uber

GROUP_AVATAR
PostPosted: Thu Nov 24, 2016 2:54 am

Gary Bettman strikes again. Even more dilution of a once great league for greed by the owners.

My guess is that most people don't go to Vegas to watch a hockey game so, I'd say in about 5 years the good people of Quebec City may get an NHL team.

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
 Montreal Canadiens
PostPosted: Thu Nov 24, 2016 3:01 am

What ?

Who ?

The California Golden Seals have come back ?

:lol: :lol:

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
 Montreal Canadiens
PostPosted: Thu Nov 24, 2016 3:21 am

Last I checked, the NHL is a business so of course the owners will do anything they can to make more money. :?

...and if you don't like the product, stop buying. :lol:

CKA Elite
CKA Elite
PostPosted: Thu Nov 24, 2016 3:35 am

They will win the Cup before any Canadian team will. That's what is sad.

Canadians don't win anymore...

CKA Uber
CKA Uber

GROUP_AVATAR
PostPosted: Thu Nov 24, 2016 3:57 am

raydan raydan:
Last I checked, the NHL is a business so of course the owners will do anything they can to make more money. :?

...and if you don't like the product, stop buying. :lol:

:roll:

No problem. I went for 2 years without watching an NHL game after the last strike and if the Bettman run gong show keeps going in this direction that'll be happening again sooner than later. But, it's good to know that you favour the dilution of sports leagues for the mere profit of already wealthy owners. [B-o]

On the plus side though ticket prices are going down. For an average ticket at a leaf game it's gone from a high of $446.25 in 14/15 to $377.71 in 16/17 and as a Hab's fan I'm sure you're thrilled to see the ticket prices plummet from $219.43 14/15 to $232.21 in 16/17 because we wouldn't want to see those poor Molson boys living in a cardboard box on Saint Catherine Street. :lol:

http://blog.tiqiq.com/2016/10/2013-14-n ... ices-team/

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
 Boston Bruins

GROUP_AVATAR
PostPosted: Thu Nov 24, 2016 5:50 am

Freakinoldguy Freakinoldguy:
and as a Hab's fan I'm sure you're thrilled to see the ticket prices plummet from $219.43 14/15 to $232.21 in 16/17 because we wouldn't want to see those poor Molson boys living in a cardboard box on Saint Catherine Street. :lol:

http://blog.tiqiq.com/2016/10/2013-14-n ... ices-team/

Plummet from $219 to $232? [huh]

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
 Calgary Flames
PostPosted: Thu Nov 24, 2016 7:59 am

Given the nature of Vegas and the slime that reside there they should have been called the Golden Showers instead. :|

CKA Super Elite
CKA Super Elite
 Vancouver Canucks
PostPosted: Thu Nov 24, 2016 8:47 am

The possible Raiders move to Vegas is more exciting.

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
PostPosted: Thu Nov 24, 2016 8:57 am

I honestly don't think giving placing teams in undeserving sunbelt cities is about selling tickets - major league sports haven't been concerned with that in a long time - except the CFL, where ticket sales are still the majority of revenue.

This is about revenue from TV contracts. The NHL is still the poor cousin of other major league sports in the US and so it needs to not only grow its US national TV audience but also its credibility with Americans. From the American perspective, cities like Winnipeg and Edmonton are obscure 'bush league' towns that they've barely heard of and could care less about; Americans want to watch their team play a "real city" that they've heard of and have an impression of, thanks to Hollywood movies and on prime-time TV.

Sadly, since Canadians mostly consume the same American entertainment media, they increasingly think the same way: anything distinctly Canadian like the CFL they assume is "bush league" and "second rate" because they don't see it in Hollywood movies and there are no pop-tart celebrities shilling for it, or product-placement advertising on this season's reality tv circuit.

CKA Super Elite
CKA Super Elite
 Vancouver Canucks
PostPosted: Thu Nov 24, 2016 9:25 am

Gary Bettman keeps pushing NHL Teams where they're not viable hurting the brand.

CKA Elite
CKA Elite
PostPosted: Thu Nov 24, 2016 9:32 am

This is about making sure wealthy athletes spend money, pick up gambling addictions and get into trouble.

Well done Gary, well done!

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
 Boston Bruins

GROUP_AVATAR
PostPosted: Thu Nov 24, 2016 9:39 am

BeaverFever BeaverFever:

Sadly, since Canadians mostly consume the same American entertainment media, they increasingly think the same way: anything distinctly Canadian like the CFL they assume is "bush league" and "second rate" because they don't see it in Hollywood movies and there are no pop-tart celebrities shilling for it, or product-placement advertising on this season's reality tv circuit.

In regards to the CFL it is predominately Eastern Canada that thinks like you described it. Most games that I watched when I was out west were pretty much sold out and the local press covered them extensively.

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
 Calgary Flames
PostPosted: Thu Nov 24, 2016 9:48 am

Toronto's still delusional about getting an NFL team, which will never happen. That's why the Argos only draw a half-full stadium even when they're having a good year. Hamilton fans are usually better but they've had such a crappy team for so long it's hard to blame them for not being so loyal these days.