bottom

Canadian Forums

Author Topic Options
CKA Uber
CKA Uber
 Vancouver Canucks

GROUP_AVATAR
PostPosted: Thu Jul 21, 2016 9:13 am

Used to laugh at the grocery store. Spend $1000 to get 1000 points, then they ask if you'd like to redeem 2,000 points and get a bag of chips free. Used to tell them no, come buy a $2000 computer system at my store and I'll buy you a couple 40 pounders of whatever you like free!

Forum Super Elite
Forum Super Elite
PostPosted: Thu Jul 21, 2016 12:53 pm

Well some one must be buying into the idea of points. Every other add is for reward points, cash back or some such program. So obviously people are buying into the something for nothing idea. I don't do points or switch banks to get the free stupid electronic devise. But they wouldn't be doing it if people weren’t buying into it. People are stupid just have to look at the cash money places and the rent to own, it's just 10 bucks a week yeah know.

CKA Moderator
CKA Moderator
 Vancouver Canucks

GROUP_AVATAR
PostPosted: Thu Jul 21, 2016 1:42 pm

"Points" are for stupid people who think that racking up points in Pokémon Go means something.

CKA Uber
CKA Uber

GROUP_AVATAR
PostPosted: Thu Jul 21, 2016 1:58 pm

I have Wyndham reward points. Stay so many nights get a free night or upgrades on your hotel room. Since we're in every month, and sometimes twice for medical appointments(which I get to write off for tax purposes anyways). I have about 4 free nights and an upgrade. Pays for the hotel this October for conference.

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
 Vancouver Canucks

GROUP_AVATAR
PostPosted: Thu Jul 21, 2016 7:03 pm

The thing about points is to never forget you're paying for them.
On the other hand, I wouldn't want to shop at SaveOn without my points card. You pay the full gouge mode without it.

CKA Super Elite
CKA Super Elite
 Vancouver Canucks

GROUP_AVATAR

GROUP_AVATAR
PostPosted: Fri Jul 22, 2016 12:39 am

DrCaleb DrCaleb:
Winnipegger Winnipegger:
BartSimpson BartSimpson:
I bought 550 US Eagles from the US Mint. There's no question about their purity.

Good luck. The TD bank gave the same assurance to my friend when he bought silver bars. It's not a question of purity, it's about screwing the consumer. Ensuring you don't have an alternative than the high fees they charge.

I've always bought gold and silver coins from the Mint. That way, they'll never be worth less than the face value of the coin.

http://www.mint.ca/store/buy/Best-Selli ... -cat490001

http://www.mint.ca/store/buy/silver_coi ... 4B.node1-2

Still wouldn't be worth much if the dollar tanks. But our precious metals are the purest in the world. They will. Be worth something to somebody somewhere someday.

As for Wal-mart, I understand their grievance. It is justified. However, like it was said elsewhere, they want to have to pay less than charities. That is crap. Further, disowning a long-recognised method of payment over a dispute is crap. Don't hurt the consumer with your disagreements, you'll just piss them off. Handle it in other ways. Maybe some good old fashioned government regulations to handle excessive fees and protect consumers is in order?

Forum Elite
Forum Elite
PostPosted: Wed Aug 03, 2016 1:33 am

Winnipegger Winnipegger:
I don't have a credit card logo on my debit/ATM card, but got a notice today that they will mail a new one. This new one has the Interac "Flash" logo, and the MasterCard logo. I didn't ask for it, and don't believe "Flash" is safe.

I went to the bank yesterday, activated the new card and got "Flash" disabled. The teller didn't argue, in fact said most customers don't want "Flash".

CKA Uber
CKA Uber

GROUP_AVATAR
PostPosted: Wed Aug 03, 2016 5:30 am

ShepherdsDog ShepherdsDog:
I have Wyndham reward points. Stay so many nights get a free night or upgrades on your hotel room. Since we're in every month, and sometimes twice for medical appointments(which I get to write off for tax purposes anyways). I have about 4 free nights and an upgrade. Pays for the hotel this October for conference.

In my book, there's nothing wrong with those kind of points - I have Wyndham and Best Western too, because as you said, after X stays, you get a free night.

The only reward I want from my credit cards is a dividend/cash back feature, which I have on my VISA, Mastercard and AMEX, all of which are paid off every month and carry no annual fees.

In my books, it's way better than debit, because I get 21 days to pay for everything AND I earn nearly close to a thousand bucks each year for gas, groceries and everything else I normally buy.

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
 Montreal Canadiens
PostPosted: Wed Aug 03, 2016 2:06 pm

bootlegga bootlegga:
In my book, there's nothing wrong with those kind of points - I have Wyndham and Best Western too, because as you said, after X stays, you get a free night.

The only reward I want from my credit cards is a dividend/cash back feature, which I have on my VISA, Mastercard and AMEX, all of which are paid off every month and carry no annual fees.

In my books, it's way better than debit, because I get 21 days to pay for everything AND I earn nearly close to a thousand bucks each year for gas, groceries and everything else I normally buy.

Don't forget that the stores mark-up everything to cover the fees they pay to the card companies and the card companies mark-up the fees they charge to cover the costs of those gifts... so you "are" paying for those freebies.

#1 rule in business - nothing, and I mean nothing, is free

CKA Uber
CKA Uber

GROUP_AVATAR
PostPosted: Thu Aug 04, 2016 10:45 pm

raydan raydan:
bootlegga bootlegga:

Don't forget that the stores mark-up everything to cover the fees they pay to the card companies and the card companies mark-up the fees they charge to cover the costs of those gifts... so you "are" paying for those freebies.

#1 rule in business - nothing, and I mean nothing, is free

True, but groceries cost the same whether I use cash, debit or credit - the difference is that I don't pay any extra fees (like monthly fees for unlimited debit transactions) when I use my credit card.

The problem is most people don't pay off their credit cards every month and pay interest - however, unlike most people I do. I haven't paid a penny in interest in a decade or so, which makes my transactions essentially free.