Posted By: DrCaleb
Date: 2020-07-14 07:36:15
Canadian

CKA Uber
CKA Uber

GROUP_AVATAR
PostPosted: Tue Jul 14, 2020 4:24 pm

$1:
After years of controversy surrounding the Redskins name, The Washington Post released a new poll that finds 9 in 10 Native Americans are not offended by the name. The poll surveyed opinions on the team name from more than 500 Native Americans across the country.

https://www.nbcsports.com/washington/wa ... skins-name

I personally don't give a shit about the name change because the team is owned by an idiot and giant narcissist who's destroyed the franchise. But what I am inquisitive about is who's so offended if not the majority of natives?

Is this a case of "cancel culture" striking again?

CKA Moderator
CKA Moderator
 Vancouver Canucks
PostPosted: Tue Jul 14, 2020 4:28 pm

Survey asks Edmonton Eskimos’ shareholders, others if CFL team should change its name

It's the stockholders that are making the change. Note, if it really was important to them they could have done this long ago.

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
 Calgary Flames
PostPosted: Tue Jul 14, 2020 4:34 pm

It's a good thing, and better late than never even if it's driven by threats to revenue and not social sincerity. It could turn out to be a great thing because there's word that the organization is looking to re-name the team the Washington RedTails, in honour of the Tuskegee Airmen of World War Two:

https://time.com/5866636/washington-nfl ... red-tails/

On the Canadian side of the border it looks like Edmonton will be losing the Eskimos name too. The current favourite is to re-name them the Edmonton Empire, as the team has had the copyright to that name secured for quite a while. One of the radio DJs here in Calgary said today that from our perspective re-naming them to the Edmonton E-Coli would be much more appropriate though. :lol:

I have nothing against these sorts of name changes. Not only are they long overdue, they can be used to make things that much better if the new names are used to honour people who have been left on the outside for too long. Some fat white middle-aged football fan dressing up as a Native at a game isn't a tradition worth getting all bent out of shape over. "But, but muh memories of looking like a clown in a public setting!". Oh, grow up already. :roll:

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
PostPosted: Tue Jul 14, 2020 4:38 pm

It’s a long time coming with the Redskins. I honestly though I’d never see the day given what an asshole POS the owner is but even money talks in those cases.

The Red Tails would be an excellent rename. It covers a lot of the woke bases in one fell swoop.

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
 Calgary Flames
PostPosted: Tue Jul 14, 2020 4:48 pm

Dan Snyder is probably the absolute worst of the NFL owners. He's a Grade-A asshole and rip-off artist combined. He's wrecked his own team with gratuitous interference in football operations in a way that other destructive team owners like Al Davis, George Steinbrenner, or Harold Ballard could only dream of - those pricks are probably roasting in Hell right now and looking up totally envious of the scams and bullshit Snyder's gotten away with over the years. He'll probably be able to monetize the name change to his own maximum benefit by charging an extra $5 per beer and hot dog for the fans who come out to watch his usually 3-13 team lose all their home games.

At this stage though the motivations and the nature of the personalities involved are irrelevant. Just seize the moment and let the right thing happen with as little interruption as possible. These opportunities where an obstinate and obnoxious rich bastard has to change course against his megalomaniacal will don't come along very often so it's important to exploit it to the maximum while the chance is there.

Last edited by Thanos on Tue Jul 14, 2020 4:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
 Montreal Canadiens
PostPosted: Tue Jul 14, 2020 4:49 pm

...in contemporary dictionaries of American English Redskin is labelled "usually offensive", "disparaging", "insulting", or "taboo".

CKA Uber
CKA Uber

GROUP_AVATAR
PostPosted: Tue Jul 14, 2020 8:44 pm

Here's a list of potential names, some tongue in cheek some serious but the best ones are at the end.

Spoiler alert:

I prefer the name the Federals and as a second choice I'd take the Washington Americans. even if it'd piss off a majority of the anti American clowns trying to remake the country in their own twisted image.

CKA Moderator
CKA Moderator
 Vancouver Canucks
PostPosted: Tue Jul 14, 2020 9:05 pm

How about free Hong Kong? Seems open:

CKA Moderator
CKA Moderator
PostPosted: Wed Jul 15, 2020 6:27 am

A chef I follow, David Chang, always wanted to buy the Redskins and name them the "Washington Chinks". 8O

I think he was only being semi-serious, because he is a known shit disturber. :lol:

CKA Uber
CKA Uber

GROUP_AVATAR
PostPosted: Wed Jul 15, 2020 9:38 am

And now let's hear it from the horses mouth about why the Logo is what it is and why it was changed from the old R to the Native head.

$1:
The Washington Redskins announced Monday they will retire the Redskins nickname and logo. They have not yet selected a new name.

Washington's logo has been an Indian chief since 1971. It was designed by Native American Walter “Blackie” Wetzel to depict a member of the Blackfeet tribe.

Wetzel grew up on the Blackfeet Reservation in Montana and was eventually elected president of the National Congress of American Indians in Washington, D.C.

He was instrumental in the Redskins franchise logo change from an “R” to the current depiction of a Native American.

According to Wetzel's son, Lance, the logo is not offensive, but rather evokes a sense of pride.

"Everyone was pretty upset (about the change)," Lance Wetzel said. "Everyone understood the name change we were all on board with that. Once they weren't going to use the logo, it was hard. It takes away from the Native Americans. When I see that logo, I take pride in it. You look at the depiction of the Redskins logo and it’s of a true Native American. I always felt it was representing my people. That's not gone"

https://www.wusa9.com/article/sports/nf ... 03326cc338

CKA Uber
CKA Uber

GROUP_AVATAR
PostPosted: Wed Jul 15, 2020 9:40 am

DrCaleb DrCaleb:
A chef I follow, David Chang, always wanted to buy the Redskins and name them the "Washington Chinks". 8O

I think he was only being semi-serious, because he is a known shit disturber. :lol:

I think "Foreskins" would be more appropriate given the political and social climate in their country.

CKA Uber
CKA Uber

GROUP_AVATAR
PostPosted: Wed Jul 15, 2020 9:45 am

Scape Scape:
Survey asks Edmonton Eskimos’ shareholders, others if CFL team should change its name

It's the stockholders that are making the change. Note, if it really was important to them they could have done this long ago.

The team closed the survey over night and you can no longer respond:

https://ca.surveygizmo.com/s3/50080107/8ab9b70d1301

Talk about destroying any potential goodwill - now more than ever the team needs to change its name.

CKA Moderator
CKA Moderator
PostPosted: Wed Jul 15, 2020 10:03 am

Freakinoldguy Freakinoldguy:
DrCaleb DrCaleb:

I think "Foreskins" would be more appropriate given the political and social climate in their country.

I thought of that too, but it could be prejudice against Jews.

There, I said it.

CKA Moderator
CKA Moderator
 Vancouver Canucks

GROUP_AVATAR
PostPosted: Wed Jul 15, 2020 12:39 pm

raydan raydan:
...in contemporary dictionaries of American English Redskin is labelled "usually offensive", "disparaging", "insulting", or "taboo".

We're going to have to get rid of those racist redskin potatoes.