canadian forums
bottom

Canadian Forums

Author Topic Options
CKA Uber
CKA Uber
 Vancouver Canucks
PostPosted: Thu Nov 07, 2019 8:07 am

Title: 'We are standing with you': Province announces plan to combat rural crime | CTV News
Category: Law & Order
Posted By: uwish
Date: 2019-11-07 07:02:34
Canadian

CKA Moderator
CKA Moderator
PostPosted: Thu Nov 07, 2019 8:07 am

Oh goodie! We get heavy vehicle enforcement and Tree Police responding 20 minutes after people break into our sheds, instead of waiting an hour for RCMP!

Or, the Premiers' office could reverse that budget increase for itself and we could just hire more RCMP . . .

CKA Elite
CKA Elite
 Montreal Canadiens
PostPosted: Thu Nov 07, 2019 8:11 am

this has been a growing issue for years it isn't as if the new provincial gov created this issue. Aside from the that, at least now you cannot get sued for being a criminal!

CKA Moderator
CKA Moderator
PostPosted: Thu Nov 07, 2019 8:17 am

I live on an acreage. Crime happens to me regularly. Has been for many years.

Most people I know in the area don't even bother calling the cops to investigate any more. It's just a waste of time, much like these new measures to stop crime.

CKA Elite
CKA Elite
 Montreal Canadiens
PostPosted: Thu Nov 07, 2019 8:20 am

it must be awful for you, going through life always looking at the worst case ...you can't even admit that it's ridiculous to let criminals sue people after they trespassed which is really what this is about.

CKA Moderator
CKA Moderator
PostPosted: Thu Nov 07, 2019 8:31 am

uwish wrote:
it must be awful for you, going through life always looking at the worst case ...you can't even admit that it's ridiculous to let criminals sue people after they trespassed which is really what this is about.

It must be terrible for you, assuming because someone doesn't enumerate their likes and dislikes that they must therefore disagree with your own opinions.

And criminals suing people they trespass against is irrelevant. Let us protect ourselves, and the crime will stop.

My Quonset I use to run my race team stopped getting broken into when I put a series of HD night vision cameras all over the place. But it still happens. And giving that video the the cops of someone stealing or damaging something insignificant from my yard has resulted in zero prosecutions.

I don't know why people like to vandalize my pump house, but it's usually a few hundred dollars in equipment.

CKA Elite
CKA Elite
 Montreal Canadiens
PostPosted: Thu Nov 07, 2019 8:51 am

Well I can agree with you on letting the people protect themselves, I think that is far overdue in Canada. But I still think that without protections against people suing you after they have been convicted of trespass etc then it still is relevant. Because people become apathetic and don't WANT to protect themselves for the fear of repercussion from the criminal(s).

CKA Moderator
CKA Moderator
PostPosted: Thu Nov 07, 2019 9:07 am

You are vastly underestimating what a group of hard working people will do to protect the lives they've built. No one cares about lawsuits, because they will protect their livestock, for example, from rustlers the same way they do from coyotes.

Shoot, shovel, and shut up.

If we could leave some leg hold traps lying around, there would be far fewer people wandering around properties they weren't invited to. :twisted: And no one wants to sue you for their broken ankle, because they then have to explain where it came from. The only reason that one guy is getting sued is because the perp is too dense to understand the cop was joking when he said the idiot should sue for his injuries.

The UCP, like the NDP and PCs before them are just dancing around the problem. We can never have enough police on duty to cover the huge swaths of land that need to be patrolled, 24/7. The criminals know that. The only thing they will understand is if Castle Doctrine that already exists is enumerated in law to cover a person't entire property, not just their home, because of the very real fact the police can not be everywhere at once.

A load of rock salt and birdshot makes a very convincing argument that petty theft is not a long term career opportunity.

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
 Calgary Flames
PostPosted: Thu Nov 07, 2019 12:32 pm

DrCaleb wrote:
Shoot, shovel, and shut up.

As opposed to any unfortunate bovine stricken with mad cow disease that a farmer quietly disposes of, absolutely no one at all would be even slightly concerned if a bunch of meth-heads from the cities disappeared without a trace in the vastness of the landscape of Alberta whilst they were a-criming. If anything the agents of justice should be commended by all for cleaning up the gene pool in such an effective, if slightly radical, manner.

Seriously, it would be no great loss to society at all. :|

CKA Moderator
CKA Moderator
PostPosted: Thu Nov 07, 2019 12:54 pm

I don't disagree. It would be more effective though if the meth heads knew each other, that way when one group disappeared without a trace, the others could ponder their missing comrades. :twisted: