Posted By: DrCaleb
Date: 2016-05-04 06:37:40
Canadian

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
 Vancouver Canucks

GROUP_AVATAR
PostPosted: Wed May 04, 2016 12:03 pm

As usual CBC doesn't think you'll miss a key detail.

I heard about this backlash against Earl's a few days ago. There was an element CBC's not telling you.

The American company Earl's was using on the grounds it was the only place to get "humane" beef also does Halal.

Some people find that hypocritical.

https://twitter.com/RaviDRamharak/statu ... 8067449856

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
 Vancouver Canucks

GROUP_AVATAR
PostPosted: Wed May 04, 2016 12:06 pm

For some more stuff CBC forgot to tell you about see Rebel.

http://www.therebel.media/boycott_earls

CKA Uber
CKA Uber

GROUP_AVATAR
PostPosted: Wed May 04, 2016 2:20 pm

I was listening to a producer on the radio this morning, and this entire humane beef thing is a crock....also Earl's isn't being completely 'honest' in their retraction. Much like the A&W hormone free BS you see on TV.

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
 Boston Bruins

GROUP_AVATAR
PostPosted: Wed May 04, 2016 2:53 pm

I'm going with the muslim owner trying to force halal beef onto his customers. This had fuck all to do with "humane" slaughter.

CKA Uber
CKA Uber

GROUP_AVATAR
PostPosted: Wed May 04, 2016 3:57 pm

they serve pork ribs though...sort of hard to go halal.

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
 Vancouver Canucks

GROUP_AVATAR
PostPosted: Wed May 04, 2016 8:36 pm

FFS the Alberta supplier told Earls it couldn't supply the quantity and the Yanks could.
Either Earls wimped out or Alberta beef got their shit together to source that quantity instead of fucking whining it was changing customer demand they FAILED to keep up with.
I heard the same radio interview and it sure sounded like Earls will suck up the shit so the other guy doesn't have to.

But I tend to agree somewhat on the issue. Fuck the hormones and kill 'em humanely. But as my vegan daughter claims the whole 'ethical beef' thing is like inventing an 'ethical holocaust'.
I'm getting sick of this corporate whining shit - similar to how they do all this work about pipelines and then half-assedly put the terminal on a salmon spawning ground and rather than fix that spend millions bitching in the media that it's someone else stopping everything.

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
PostPosted: Wed May 04, 2016 8:57 pm

Earls caved because of the outcry. Most Alberta beef is produced using hormones. According to the head of the Canadian Cattlemen's Association (himself from Alberta) this is done for environmental reasons because it requires less feed and water to produce the same amount of meat. (sure).

As usual, Canadians were caught sleeping at the switch. "The way we've always done it is good enough for us, and if restaurants try to serve a product that their clientele wants, well let's just whine about it instead of getting on the ball and producing it. Innovation? That's for Mericuns."

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
 Vancouver Canucks

GROUP_AVATAR
PostPosted: Wed May 04, 2016 9:11 pm

No, according to the radio interview hormone free beef IS now available in the quantities they need.
According to some, the problem was that much of the beef raised to qualify was fucked up by the feedlots/slaughterhouse complex they use. You've seen it, the Alberta scab beef shit in preshrunk packages where you can't even see what colour it is and it's just MEAT it has no relation to price per kg, just $8 for MEAT one package might be 50% bigger or smaller than the next.
In the same interview Earls said it still doesn't meet the exact qualification specs as the US stuff. Whether that's because of no ISO qualification or it's not halal too - what the fuck does it matter?
We're such fucking hypocrites whining about selling more beef to the USA and then squawking about buying their stuff. Really?

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
PostPosted: Wed May 04, 2016 9:40 pm

My info also comes from a radio interview - with the head of the Cattlemen's Assn. He said almost all Canadian beef is raised with hormones. And some people don't want to eat that - so get on the ball already and produce it.

I doubt Earl's is buying that preshrunk shit. Usually restaurants get better quality beef than the consumer. Don't know about Earls, don't think I've ever eaten there.

But hypocrites? Canadians? Never.

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
 Vancouver Canucks

GROUP_AVATAR
PostPosted: Wed May 04, 2016 11:21 pm

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
PostPosted: Wed May 04, 2016 11:28 pm

FFS is there any industry more whiny than the fucking beef industry? Earls is a private business and can source its products from wherever it damn well pleases. If they feel there's value in paying a premium for beef that's certified as humane vs whatever "voluntary guidelines" or dubious claims the Canadian industry makes for itself, then they should be free to do so. They're a business that has to make a profit like anyone else, so I'm sure they're not just throwing money out the window for no reason. I note for example that Certified Humanre means you can only use antibiotics on a sick animal, not on healthy animals as a growth promoter or prophylactic, there's no similar Canadian standard except with Certified Organic producers, but they're not bound by the other treatment requirements.

Perhaps the Canadian beef industry should have been with the times and develoed its own standards and certification so they can provide their customers with what they're demanding.

And of course the usual suspects on here see an insidious Muslim agenda behind everything, completely missing the fact that the restaurant serves pork and AFAIK isn't even certified halal in its own kitchen. I bet the Muslim bullying is why Earls caved, it's probably not about beef, they just don't want to be caught up in any anti-Muslim movements.

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
 Boston Bruins

GROUP_AVATAR
PostPosted: Thu May 05, 2016 4:16 am

It's amazing the typical "pro-Canada" crowd becomes very anti-Canadian when it involves anything from Alberta. :roll:

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
PostPosted: Thu May 05, 2016 5:44 am

It has nothing to do with Alberta. Generally speaking, our food standards are higher than the US. But apparently not in this specialty market. Also note that Canadian beef comes from other provinces too, this isn't just Alberta bashing.

CKA Moderator
CKA Moderator
PostPosted: Thu May 05, 2016 5:45 am

andyt andyt:
I doubt Earl's is buying that preshrunk shit. Usually restaurants get better quality beef than the consumer. Don't know about Earls, don't think I've ever eaten there.

Restaurants get the same beef, from the same slaughterhouses as everyone else. It all gets killed the same way, gets hung the same way, it all gets broken down and vacuum sealed the same way. There are only a few slaughterhouses nowadays, and three or four produce all the meat across the country.

The only difference is a few butchers buy and slaughter their own animals, and sell those directly in their shops. But that is very rare, because they need to pay federal inspectors to inspect their premises once in a while.

BeaverFever BeaverFever:
FFS is there any industry more whiny than the fucking beef industry? Earls is a private business and can source its products from wherever it damn well pleases. If they feel there's value in paying a premium for beef that's certified as humane vs whatever "voluntary guidelines" or dubious claims the Canadian industry makes for itself, then they should be free to do so. They're a business that has to make a profit like anyone else, so I'm sure they're not just throwing money out the window for no reason.

What? Why so capitalist? Earls should use the meat we say they should use! That is the Alberta way! ;)