Canadian Forums

Author Topic Options
CKA Uber
CKA Uber

GROUP_AVATAR
PostPosted: Wed Oct 03, 2018 8:57 am

peck420 peck420:
Freakinoldguy Freakinoldguy:
Some people don't agree with the Dairy Board's claim that they will be destroyed by this 3.5% inroad made by the Americans. As the matter of fact the author claims that our Dairy Board is a Canadian Made Cartel who by using a 300% Tariff on dairy has effectively made the Canadian consumer a hostage to it's price fixing.

So what, some people don't agree that 2 + 2 = 4. Doesn't make them right because they disagree.

Unfortunately, everything must be perfect for a subsidized perishable product to perform better fiscally, since that is the area you brought up, than a supply management system.

Sadly, perishable items also tend to become subsidy black holes for the same reason.

If we wished to go to a subsidized market, I would have started on relieving the goods to market infrastructure long before I ever even began to consider switching over. Make the scenario as 'perfect' as possible, to ensure minimum loses.

This is why the US currently pays to produce milk, and pays to destroy milk. It is a necessity of a subsidized system in an imperfect infrastructure climate.

Well put! R=UP

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
 Vancouver Canucks
PostPosted: Wed Oct 03, 2018 9:03 am

BartSimpson BartSimpson:
peck420 peck420:
Freakinoldguy Freakinoldguy:
But riddle me this. Why do some people champion globalization in all forms and facets yet when it comes to things like giving a small piece of the dairy pie to the Americans do they lose their minds?

Immediately perishable items do not handle globalization well.

That is pretty much it.

Find a way to transport milk within it's perish time frames, for the same rate as current ground transport...most would probably be open to the idea.

Tell some one to just pay more, or accept crappier products though...kind of where we are stuck.

Shit, if the transportation bit ever gets sorted, I will happily drink milk from wherever it is best situated for production.

Truth be told, let's all be honest here, if Trump and Trudeau sat down like adults (zero rhetoric, closed door trade negotiations with industry reps/government only), this probably doesn't make much of a splash. Give and take, with remediation for interim, until full implementation.

How it was approached kind of doomed it for this round.

Wisconsin is one of the USA's largest producers of dairy and it's closer to Ontario than BC is yet BC is allowed to sell dairy to Ontario and Wisconsin is effectively shut out of that market.

So you were saying about transportation...?

I think for BC it's less a question of can they vs do they. The dairy products I see in my grocery store are pretty much all based out of ontario. A lot of the time it will also be locally based. So I see "kawartha dairy" in my grocery store because I live in the kawarthas. Elsewhere you might see "reid's dairy" in it's place.

And when you think about it, it makes sense. If it takes 3 or 4 days to get from BC to ontario, vs the local stuff, then when people buy milk they look at the expiry date and see one that's 4 days sooner. They'll buy the local stuff.

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
 Toronto Maple Leafs
PostPosted: Wed Oct 03, 2018 9:08 am

For me, I didn't like how we had to give up things to get nothing new. Trudeau should have stuck to his guns and held out for a deal that actually benefited Canadians. Let the States tariff our Cars. We return the favour, this is how the game works. You don't play Neville Chamberlain and appease the bully. Stand up, fight for your people. That's what a leader is supposed to do. Let Trump play his game of brinksmanship. We needed to respond by not responding to it, by not playing.

Its a shame that we're dumb enough to vote these fools in.

I hope we can label Canadian milk, Canadian and American Milk as American. If the states didn't put that shit into their milk I'd have no problem with the product. But its pumped full of shit and now its going to be foisted on us to buy. Jesus fuck does this piss me off.

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
 Vancouver Canucks
PostPosted: Wed Oct 03, 2018 9:14 am

llama66 llama66:
For me, I didn't like how we had to give up things to get nothing new. Trudeau should have stuck to his guns and held out for a deal that actually benefited Canadians. Let the States tariff our Cars. We return the favour, this is how the game works. You don't play Neville Chamberlain and appease the bully. Stand up, fight for your people. That's what a leader is supposed to do. Let Trump play his game of brinksmanship. We needed to respond by not responding to it, by not playing.

Its a shame that we're dumb enough to vote these fools in.

I hope we can label Canadian milk, Canadian and American Milk as American. If the states didn't put that shit into their milk I'd have no problem with the product. But its pumped full of shit and now its going to be foisted on us to buy. Jesus fuck does this piss me off.

Already do label Canadian stuff. Look for one of the following.

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
 Toronto Maple Leafs
PostPosted: Wed Oct 03, 2018 9:16 am

Good, Good.

Forum Elite
Forum Elite
PostPosted: Wed Oct 03, 2018 9:37 am

In all seriousness, it's milk and dairy. I don't care.

This isn't the 50's and 60's where the milk industry is jamming their products down our throats as if it's some health wonder via the Canada Food Guide.

We don't need to drink milk nor will we become malnourished because we're not drinking it.

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
 Toronto Maple Leafs
PostPosted: Wed Oct 03, 2018 9:39 am

Coach85 Coach85:

This isn't the 50's and 60's where the milk industry is jamming their products down our throats as if it's some health wonder via the Canada Food Guide.

We don't need to drink milk nor will we become malnourished because we're not drinking it.

I drink milk because apparently its frowned upon to pour your cereal into a bowl of Bailey's. Fucking prudes.

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
 Vancouver Canucks
PostPosted: Wed Oct 03, 2018 9:43 am

Coach85 Coach85:

That's kind of the point of living in a society. Sometimes things are fought for that you don't care about. But one day you will care, and at that point those same people that you have no problem throwing under the bus might go "I don't care".

Last edited by Tricks on Wed Oct 03, 2018 9:44 am, edited 1 time in total.

CKA Uber
CKA Uber

GROUP_AVATAR
PostPosted: Wed Oct 03, 2018 9:43 am

rickc rickc:
I see countless Canadians on this forum talking about the superiority of Canadian cheese and milk. If its that much bettor than they are not going to buy the cheap crap, are they? I am no beer snob, but I do not drink Milwaukee"s best. I do not care how cheap it is, I do not want it. A wine connoisseur is not going to drink Boones Farm. I see talk of growth hormone, etc. In the states there are stores like whole foods where all their products are organic. Their prices are much higher than the other grocery chains, yet their lots are always full. If people want the best, than they will pay for it. Hyundai is not hurting Mercedes bottom line. You are complaining about Americans subsidizing the dairy industry.

The problem is that everyone cannot afford organic products, so a lot of people are forced to choose between no product or the lower priced product, and many people therefore choose to purchase the lower quality, lower cost product.

How do you think Wal-Mart survives? It's by selling lots of cheap shit at low prices.

I've been to the US a dozen times in the past few years, and I've yet to taste any milk, organic or not, that tastes good. I don't know if it's the growth hormones, how the milk is produced or what, but I refuse to drink milk in the US. Fortunately, I know that I can go home and drink high quality delicious milk instead of the gunk south of the border.

But like Wal-Mart, if low quality cheap milk pours into Canada, it will eventually kill off the Canadian dairy industry because fewer and fewer people will be able to afford our higher quality milk, which doesn't receive anywhere near the subsidies US milk does. And as is the case when Canada deals with the US, there is no way an economy one-tenth the size of the US can compete one subsidies.

rickc rickc:
If the American taxpayer is subsidizing dairy products for your poor cousins in the Maritimes, why do you care?

It will eventually affect every Canadian when our dairy industry goes belly up because it doesn't get the same subsidies as the US dairy industry does.

rickc rickc:
My Canadian ex's family in the Maritimes was on welfare. They were dirt poor. They did not even own a car. They needed/still need some of those cheap subsidized eggs, milk, etc. They were in no position to demand the best. Their poverty was a much greater, present threat to their health than any growth hormone in the milk. I can pretty much guarantee that they will not be on here,( or any other forum for that mater) bitching about the Yanks subsidizing their groceries for them.

The problem isn't that you're subsidizing high quality products and asking us to buy them - it's that's you're subsidizing gunk and demanding we buy it or else you'll affect other unrelated industries.

I'd ask how you feel about low lumber prices, but history has shown over and over that your government doesn't want low priced Canadian resources.

CKA Uber
CKA Uber

GROUP_AVATAR
PostPosted: Wed Oct 03, 2018 9:44 am

llama66 llama66:
I drink milk because apparently its frowned upon to pour your cereal into a bowl of Bailey's. Fucking prudes.

:lol:

Be yourself man, don't let other's negativity affect you!

CKA Moderator
CKA Moderator
 Vancouver Canucks

GROUP_AVATAR
PostPosted: Wed Oct 03, 2018 9:54 am

llama66 llama66:

I've put Bailey's over Cheerios...pretty good, too! [drool]

CKA Super Elite
CKA Super Elite
PostPosted: Wed Oct 03, 2018 10:08 am

Tricks Tricks:
Coach85 Coach85:

That's kind of the point of living in a society. Sometimes things are fought for that you don't care about. But one day you will care, and at that point those same people that you have no problem throwing under the bus might go "I don't care".

R=UP R=UP [flag]

Forum Elite
Forum Elite
PostPosted: Wed Oct 03, 2018 10:12 am

Tricks Tricks:
Coach85 Coach85:

Times change, Tricks.

We're seeing the end of the dairy industry propaganda machine that was our Food Guide as it moves away from having dairy as it's own food group.

We've been programmed to think that milk and dairy need to be part of our daily diet which is totally false.

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
 Vancouver Canucks
PostPosted: Wed Oct 03, 2018 10:25 am

Coach85 Coach85:
Tricks Tricks:
Coach85 Coach85:

Times change, Tricks.

We're seeing the end of the dairy industry propaganda machine that was our Food Guide as it moves away from having dairy as it's own food group.

We've been programmed to think that milk and dairy need to be part of our daily diet which is totally false.

I don't disagree that it's totally false, but it's still a 3 billion dollar industry that has over 200,000 jobs. And it's a product, why not entirely necessary, is enjoyed by millions of people.

If we're going to go forward with the mindset of removing industries that "aren't needed" from our repertoire, we are going to have to shut down a lot of industries. And our quality of life and our potential enjoyment of it is going to go in the shitter.

CKA Super Elite
CKA Super Elite
PostPosted: Wed Oct 03, 2018 10:36 am

Tricks Tricks:
Right on!
I personally have no stake in the dairy industry.

But protecting it from foreign subsidized products benefits Canada. It's too bad we couldn't get this kind of support for the Wheat Board for example.

Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 112 posts ]  Previous  1 ... 3  4  5  6  7  8  Next