Title: Wheat Belly arguments are based on shaky science, critics say
Category: Science
Posted By: Regina
Date: 2015-02-27 08:42:21
Canadian

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
PostPosted: Fri Feb 27, 2015 10:31 am

Saw a vid of him talking. Middle class audience, mostly women, sucking it up like he's a guru. First world problems.

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
PostPosted: Fri Feb 27, 2015 11:15 am

As someone that's read the book and went on the diet (not because of the book) that's described, it makes a MASSIVE difference to some people, including myself.

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
PostPosted: Fri Feb 27, 2015 11:24 am

I would have never taken you for a teenage hipster white girl from Portland OTI, but it's good to know.

I'm just kidding. My sister is allergic to pretty much everything, including gluton. And corn. She has a hard time finding food that she doesn't have to compromise with. So... spaghetti squash.

I like wheat. It will remain in my diet. I'd rather quit meat. Like andy said, FWP.

CKA Super Elite
CKA Super Elite
PostPosted: Fri Feb 27, 2015 11:39 am

OnTheIce OnTheIce:
As someone that's read the book and went on the diet (not because of the book) that's described, it makes a MASSIVE difference to some people, including myself.

I have to agree with OTI here. Same thing happens to me. Swelling in my lower legs was greatly reduced when I cut most grains from my diet. Corn and rice don't appear to be a problem.

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
PostPosted: Fri Feb 27, 2015 11:55 am

After I went through the cycle of removing wheat, I went on a diet where the only meat I could eat was chicken or turkey.

No sugar. No dairy.

It is amazing what happens when you remove sugar from your diet. Full withdrawal symptoms, shaking, headaches, nausea, etc but within days it goes away as does most joint pain.

I've learned a lot about what these foods do to my body. I still eat wheat, sugar and dairy but I know exactly what they will do to my body when I do and eat them sparingly.

CKA Moderator
CKA Moderator
 Vancouver Canucks

GROUP_AVATAR
PostPosted: Fri Feb 27, 2015 11:57 am

Hmmm. I'll note that my gut has grown significantly over the recent years in which I started drinking more beer and eating more bread.

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
 Calgary Flames
PostPosted: Fri Feb 27, 2015 12:10 pm

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
 Vancouver Canucks
PostPosted: Fri Feb 27, 2015 12:44 pm

The guy is a Con Artist. He'll get stinking rich, eventually almost everyone who revered him will go back to eating wheat with the vast majority not experiencing any ill effect.

CKA Moderator
CKA Moderator
PostPosted: Fri Feb 27, 2015 12:48 pm

Yea, it's not wheat that's making our bellies fat, it's sitting on our fat asses 12 hours a day that's making them fat! Wheat may play some part in it for some people, but for the rest of us there is another solution.

CKA Uber
CKA Uber

GROUP_AVATAR
PostPosted: Fri Feb 27, 2015 12:55 pm

It's actually been suggested that most who claim to be gluten intolerant aren't. It seems it's not the protein in wheat that causes problems, but the carb. All this being said, the wheat we are eating today is radically different than the wheat consumed in the 1960s. Genetic modification has radically altered its nutritional value

Site Admin
Site Admin
PostPosted: Fri Feb 27, 2015 1:10 pm

If anyone needs to be on a good diet they should just follow the proper regiment of a diabetic. Probably lower carbs than someone typically eats and the exercise is just plain good for you. I don't buy the gluten thing for everyone, especially from the Snake Oil sales pitches. Very few people are gluten intolerant.

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
PostPosted: Fri Feb 27, 2015 1:15 pm

DrCaleb DrCaleb:
Yea, it's not wheat that's making our bellies fat, it's sitting on our fat asses 12 hours a day that's making them fat! Wheat may play some part in it for some people, but for the rest of us there is another solution.

Not completely true. Are some people fat from lack of activity? Yes...but some people are overweight due to sensitivities or allergies to certain types of food.

For 3 months, I removed wheat from my diet.

208lbs to 184lbs. No change in activity. No change in job. I wasn't even on the ice at the time coaching. It was August-October 2013.

Certain foods do things to certain people. For me, gluten and dairy prevent me from digesting my food properly. Bloating, gass and the inability to properly break down the food I've consumed.

I went through this not because of the gluten-free fad but for medical issues I was having with my stomach. My doctor kept testing me (scopes, blood tests) for various things and I finally went to a naturopath doctor who sorted out all of these food sensitivities.

CKA Uber
CKA Uber

GROUP_AVATAR
PostPosted: Fri Feb 27, 2015 1:46 pm

$1:
208lbs to 184lbs. No change in activity. No change in job. I wasn't even on the ice at the time coaching. It was August-October 2013.

You can see an even more dramatic weight loss by switching to ANIMAL protein, low carb vegetables and low glycemic fruits.

$1:
I finally went to a naturopath doctor

* edited for grazers :twisted:

Last edited by ShepherdsDog on Fri Feb 27, 2015 2:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.

CKA Moderator
CKA Moderator
PostPosted: Fri Feb 27, 2015 2:00 pm

ShepherdsDog ShepherdsDog:
$1:

You can see an even more dramatic weight loss by switching to protein, low carb vegetables and low glycemic fruits.

^^ This. I've dropped 22 pounds since Christmas, just eliminating animal proteins and fats from my diet, 6 days a week. Lotsa veggies, and protein from veggies, including wheat gluten. Heavy on the wheat gluten, in fact.

Like I said, wheat may play some part in being overweight for some people, but for most of us we'd benefit from more exercise instead. The only ones who absolutely need to eliminate it from their diets are Celiacs.