Canadian Forums

Author Topic Options
CKA Uber
CKA Uber

GROUP_AVATAR
PostPosted: Fri Oct 24, 2014 12:02 pm

DrCaleb DrCaleb:
bootlegga bootlegga:
In the US, he probably would have bought an AR-15 and a stack of 30 rounds mags and the death toll almost certainly would have been much higher. Here it is much more difficult to obtain military weapons than it is south of the border, legally or illegally.

Not correct. The AR-15 is easily obtained in many places, and is not a military weapon. Anyone with a license can buy one. 'Military' weapons are not available to any civilian in Canada.

I would argue differently.

$1:
The AR-15 was first built by ArmaLite as a small arms rifle for the United States armed forces.

In its current incarnation, it maybe a civilian-version of a military weapon, but its pedigree (and capabilities) are most certainly military, which is why most people consider them a military weapon.

CKA Moderator
CKA Moderator
PostPosted: Fri Oct 24, 2014 12:16 pm

bootlegga bootlegga:
DrCaleb DrCaleb:
bootlegga bootlegga:
In the US, he probably would have bought an AR-15 and a stack of 30 rounds mags and the death toll almost certainly would have been much higher. Here it is much more difficult to obtain military weapons than it is south of the border, legally or illegally.

Not correct. The AR-15 is easily obtained in many places, and is not a military weapon. Anyone with a license can buy one. 'Military' weapons are not available to any civilian in Canada.

$1:
The AR-15 was first built by ArmaLite as a small arms rifle for the United States armed forces.

In its current incarnation, it maybe a civilian-version of a military weapon, but its pedigree (and capabilities) are most certainly military, which is why most people consider them a military weapon.

'Most people' think the Sun is the center of the solar system. Doesn't make it so.

It's not in use by any Military. Armalite sold the design to Colt before any army adopted it, and Colt made it into the M-16 and sold those to Militaries. And anyone with a license can walk into a gun store and buy an AR-15. There is usually a waiting list! (but a Ruger Mini-14 is exactly the same, but don't tell anyone that or they'll get one of those instead!)

The military also uses many civilian rifles, such as the Remington 700. Doesn't make it a military weapon.

The fact is that Canadians cannot and never could purchase military weapons, as you incorrectly suggest.

CKA Moderator
CKA Moderator
PostPosted: Fri Oct 24, 2014 12:18 pm

0:
engaged.jpg
engaged.jpg [ 184.93 KiB | Viewed 44 times ]

CKA Uber
CKA Uber

GROUP_AVATAR
PostPosted: Fri Oct 24, 2014 1:36 pm

DrCaleb DrCaleb:
bootlegga bootlegga:
DrCaleb DrCaleb:

$1:

'Most people' think the Sun is the center of the solar system. Doesn't make it so.

It's not in use by any Military. Armalite sold the design to Colt before any army adopted it, and Colt made it into the M-16 and sold those to Militaries. And anyone with a license can walk into a gun store and buy an AR-15. There is usually a waiting list! (but a Ruger Mini-14 is exactly the same, but don't tell anyone that or they'll get one of those instead!)

The military also uses many civilian rifles, such as the Remington 700. Doesn't make it a military weapon.

The fact is that Canadians cannot and never could purchase military weapons, as you incorrectly suggest.

Actually, I would doubt that "most" think that the Sun is the centre of the Solar System.

And you're wrong, Canadians HAVE been able to purchase military weapons in the past (fully automatic weapons, Lee-Enfields, etc.). Currently however, they cannot purchase modern military firearms such as submachineguns, assault rifles, etc. although in some cases, it is possible to purchase civilian versions of military weapons.

Have to agree to disagree this...

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
PostPosted: Fri Oct 24, 2014 6:12 pm

Vickers and Biveau wind up on different sides of a stone pillar. Vickers dives to the ground where Bibeau is standing, spins and shoots to kill him. The guy should be in the movies.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 24, 2014 9:32 pm

"I engaged the suspect and the suspect is deceased,"

Sounds like a line from a Schwarzenegger movie.

[B-o]

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
PostPosted: Fri Oct 24, 2014 10:05 pm

Despite the name, I was surprised that the Sergeant-at-arms even has a gun. I thought it was a ceremonial role. I guess it's good that he had access to one though.

Site Admin
Site Admin
PostPosted: Fri Oct 24, 2014 11:22 pm

BeaverFever BeaverFever:
Despite the name, I was surprised that the Sergeant-at-arms even has a gun. I thought it was a ceremonial role. I guess it's good that he had access to one though.

I thought the exact same thing. 8O

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
 Calgary Flames
PostPosted: Sat Oct 25, 2014 12:27 am

I'm hoping that one of the changes made is that all soldiers on guard at memorials, especially this upcoming Remembrance Day, are now authorized to have live ammunition locked and loaded while they're on duty. Having guards, even ceremonial ones, unable to engage and attacker is kind of counter productive. Not sure how many other guards were on duty in the space between the memorial and Center Block but that son of a bitch never should have been able to get inside the building. Giving a soldier a weapon but no ammunition for it is about as well thought out as having a cat declawed and then abandoning it in a forest to fend for itself.

CKA Uber
CKA Uber

GROUP_AVATAR
PostPosted: Sat Oct 25, 2014 10:17 am

I've did several honour guards, and all we ever had were unloaded weapons, or at most blanks. As a jetty sentry, all we carried was a 'mace' a length of oak with a brass spike at one end and another brass 'weight' on the other end. The only time we were ever armed was when we were a landing/ boarding party. I carried a Sterling SMG, others had FNs(sort of useless in the confined quarters of a ship) and others had Browning 9 mm

CKA Uber
CKA Uber

GROUP_AVATAR
PostPosted: Mon Oct 27, 2014 8:50 am

Thanos Thanos:
I'm hoping that one of the changes made is that all soldiers on guard at memorials, especially this upcoming Remembrance Day, are now authorized to have live ammunition locked and loaded while they're on duty. Having guards, even ceremonial ones, unable to engage and attacker is kind of counter productive. Not sure how many other guards were on duty in the space between the memorial and Center Block but that son of a bitch never should have been able to get inside the building. Giving a soldier a weapon but no ammunition for it is about as well thought out as having a cat declawed and then abandoning it in a forest to fend for itself.

It certainly makes sense, and it it's necessary to appease some pantywaist's they can carry only 5-10 rounds in the mag (as well as a pig sticker just in case). That should provide enough ammo to defend themselves and prevent an SOB from taking off with a fully loaded military weapon (in the event of another ambush like the one on Corporal Cirrillo).

CKA Super Elite
CKA Super Elite
 Vancouver Canucks
PostPosted: Thu Oct 30, 2014 12:54 pm

"The Hell with Bruce Willis! This Canadian just put the EH in Yippie Kai Yay Mother Fucker!"

Attachments:
image.jpg
image.jpg [ 58.44 KiB | Viewed 344 times ]