Canadian Forums

Author Topic Options
CKA Super Elite
CKA Super Elite
 Montreal Canadiens

GROUP_AVATAR
PostPosted: Sat Apr 17, 2010 3:38 pm

Lemmy Lemmy:
Your friend is seriously writing a doctoral dissertation on "why people belong to forums"? As a graduate supervisor, I think I'd suggest a more academic research topic, but okay,...

I can only answer why I participate on this forum: because I love Canada and love to discuss Canadian news, law, economics, politics, music, sports, outdoors, art, culture, humour -- all things "Canadiana" -- with others similarly interested in, and inspired by, our nation. I like to trumpet our successes, criticize our shortcomings and, hopefully, discuss ways that we can make this greatest country on earth even greater for our children. :rock:

Well, I can say that in my researches for written essays (and I'm sure you will concur) we sometimes find quite "special" doctoral dissertations ;-)

Vancouver Canucks
PostPosted: Sat Apr 17, 2010 7:54 pm

My answer to the question would be all the same reasons above that other people posted. Also, I'm an information and news junkie and I've found I get more up-to-date news and information from this forum than from any other forum or media site about world affairs, especially about Canada. I don't participate here too often but I do read here every day and often post the information I find here to other forums or to friends. This forum rocks, it's the best. :rock:

:D

CKA Super Elite
CKA Super Elite
PostPosted: Sat Apr 17, 2010 8:04 pm

Nuggets Nuggets:
My answer to the question would be all the same reasons above that other people posted. Also, I'm an information and news junkie and I've found I get more up-to-date news and information from this forum than from any other forum or media site about world affairs, especially about Canada. I don't participate here too often but I do read here every day and often post the information I find here to other forums or to friends. This forum rocks, it's the best. :rock:

:D

R=UP R=UP

CKA Super Elite
CKA Super Elite
 Carolina Hurricans
PostPosted: Sat Apr 17, 2010 8:07 pm

It is nice to belong to a forum, such as this one, because it is not easy to find a place where you can just hang out and banter with someone without having to worry about "putting on airs" to try and impress someone. I've made some pretty good friends that I would have never met otherwise.

It is a great way to discuss issues without worrying about disagreements coming to physical violence (save, maybe a shattered monitor, etc...). It is much easier to make up and bury the hatchet when you are not recovering from a black eye.

I've not been around as much lately (got 4 kids and working 48-66 hrs per week), but I love this place and the people and am constantly surprised when I end up agreeing even with Bart from time to time. :lol:

CKA Moderator
CKA Moderator
PostPosted: Sat Apr 17, 2010 8:59 pm

+1 Travior. I love to debate people. I learn a lot about myself when I do, so I like the people who hold the opposite opinion as me, as much as those that agree with me.

I learn the most about myself from the people I disagree with.

Forum Junkie
Forum Junkie
PostPosted: Sun Apr 18, 2010 4:58 am

Lemmy Lemmy:
Your friend is seriously writing a doctoral dissertation on "why people belong to forums"? As a graduate supervisor, I think I'd suggest a more academic research topic, but okay,...

I can only answer why I participate on this forum: because I love Canada and love to discuss Canadian news, law, economics, politics, music, sports, outdoors, art, culture, humour -- all things "Canadiana" -- with others similarly interested in, and inspired by, our nation. I like to trumpet our successes, criticize our shortcomings and, hopefully, discuss ways that we can make this greatest country on earth even greater for our children. :rock:

Well said sire!
Friend is a real Egg-head. Have NO idea the depth of his presentation.

Forum Junkie
Forum Junkie
PostPosted: Sun Apr 18, 2010 5:31 am

sandorski sandorski:
Fact: People who don't belong to Forums Suck and Fail at Life.

8O :mrgreen:

YES, And? Tell us more?

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
 New York Rangers
PostPosted: Sun Apr 18, 2010 6:01 am

angler57 angler57:
Lemmy Lemmy:

R=UP R=UP [B-o] [B-o] R=UP R=UP

Forum Junkie
Forum Junkie
PostPosted: Sun Apr 18, 2010 6:46 am

travior; Understand where you are at. Remember the three youngins.
Trying to juggle two jobs and keep family and soul together.
When you get to my age and the kids are out of college and the house.
And, when they return they bring a wife/husband and youngins you will look at these times with fond memories.
Not now of course. If you are like me, right now you will get used to being exhausted day after day.
Lordy, it sure is nice, this gettin old.

CKA Super Elite
CKA Super Elite
 Montreal Canadiens

GROUP_AVATAR
PostPosted: Sun Apr 18, 2010 8:45 am

Also, we gather here because we have one thing in common: being Canadians.

For me, I live in Quebec and here Canada is despised in tv shows and even in news channel.
It reminds me that not all being said about my fellows in Canada is true and that I'm just to be proud to be Canadian :-)

(even if my english sucks.. XD )

PostPosted: Sun Apr 18, 2010 9:11 am

Hey, I think that's an interesting topic, and if well researched I'd take the time to read its findings. Perhaps your friend can expand, and not only find out people's direct feedback but also observational tidbits. Like if there are certain traits that all regular forum users share. For instance...epic, or omnipotent 8)

I use forums because as many others have stated:

1) It keeps you in the world events loop without having to shift through dry new articles
2) You learn lots of how other people view the world and in response you learn lots about yourself
3) I get lonely IRL. Not many of my friends digg hot debates, what this or that concept means, or what happened in Uganda. It's a mental haven.

CKA Moderator
CKA Moderator
 Vancouver Canucks
PostPosted: Sun Apr 18, 2010 9:31 am

Lemmy Lemmy:

Sums up my POV. That and the people here are joined in common cause so the opinions are more relivant. The disagreements are therefore more interesting and revealing.

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
 Vancouver Canucks
PostPosted: Sun Apr 18, 2010 12:52 pm

angler57 angler57:
sandorski sandorski:
Fact: People who don't belong to Forums Suck and Fail at Life.

8O :mrgreen:

YES, And? Tell us more?

What more needs be said?

Forum Elite
Forum Elite

GROUP_AVATAR
PostPosted: Sun Apr 18, 2010 9:51 pm

I like this site because I can engage in discussions about topics... and randomly state my opinion

CKA Moderator
CKA Moderator
 Vancouver Canucks

GROUP_AVATAR
PostPosted: Sun Apr 18, 2010 10:41 pm

Why?... hmmmmm...

I have thought about this and waited until I could explain MY reasoning without considering and merely repeating what others have already said..

I am essentially, a non-confrontational person. I know this and accept it as a part of who I am. I respect that many do not see things the way I do. I tend to stay from certain topics in this forum, not because I do not have beliefs in them but mostly because I do not want to engage in the "wars" that go on within them. There are some members that take some topics VERY seriously and to heart and I do not wish to debate or defend my beliefs against them because it does not change the way I feel and will only add to the flames that I feel diminish what this forum is all about. I engage only when I have something to say at the time I am reading it (eg: news article). I wish I had more time to get more involved but I do not have access while at work and I do like to think I have somewhat of a life outside of CKA :wink: .

For the most part, I do love this forum. I have made a few good friends, one in particular (you know who you are if you read this) and I do value the friendships I have established. It might seem (by my history) that I mostly stick to the "fun" parts of this forum but I do read alot and have learned alot from other members, for which I thank many of you. I always find it interesting and enlightening to read various views and feedback from people not only from different parts of Canada but from the US and other parts of our world. It expands my knowledge and sometimes does have an influence on my views on some issues.

There are many intelligent people who belong to this forum and I hope that they continue to contribute. I can certaintly do without the spammers and assholes who just make a mockery out of what CKA is all about but I will leave that to our fine Mods to look after...