Author Topic Options

PostPosted: Mon Jun 14, 2004 9:20 pm

1-word answer: yes<BR> many-word answer: I shouldn't have to pay more at a WalMart though, they use more than enough dirty tricks to make huge profits. Unioniziing wouldn't change the fact that they buy huge quantities on everything to get huge discounts, set up on the outskirts of towns where the property taxes are low, or that their stores are close to their distribution centres. Getting unions wouldn't affect any of that.

George Bush has declared the war on terrorism to be the cause of his generation. The cause of Canadian sovereignty will be ours. -- John Godfrey, MP for Don Valley West

Forum Super Elite
PostPosted: Mon Jun 14, 2004 9:31 pm

That is my point, they are trying to tell people if you support this idea of paying a fair wage, you will end up paying more...when it should be that these corporate greedies have been making mega bucks not only off the backs of part-time workers, but on their imports from slave labour elsewhere!

If we forced corporations that want to do business in Canada to follow the proper labour laws, stop hiring only part-time so they don't have to pay benefits; they wouldn't take over our economy or they would play good corporate citizen the way we like it in Canada.

"aaaah and the whisper of thousands of tiny voices became a mighty deafening roar and they called it 'freedom'!"' Canadians Acting Humanely at home & everywhere

Vive Moderator

GROUP_AVATAR
PostPosted: Tue Jun 15, 2004 8:34 am

I'm ignorant and apathetic. (Don't know, don't care).<p> I don't shop at Walmart, so if their prices increase, it matters not to me.<p>

Take the Kama Sutra. How many people died from the Kama Sutra as opposed to the Bible? - Frank Zappa

Forum Elite

GROUP_AVATAR
PostPosted: Tue Jun 15, 2004 8:48 am

Yes, unionize Wal-Mart, and every other corporation in the country. Then elect the NDP so we can get proportional representation passed into law. The prices always go up, usually it is so the profits, share prices and executive compensation packages can go up.

Forum Super Elite
PostPosted: Tue Jun 15, 2004 9:51 am

Dr. Caleb, even if you don't shop at Walmart, the reality is that Walmart is taking a chunk out of our economy. They offer low prices which push small stores out, they hire people at part-time jobs which adds to the poverty living conditions. So even for those of us who don't shop there, their policies impact the entire community. Which I know you know and are only reflecting the apathy of most Canadians to these issues, or were you serious?. ;)

"aaaah and the whisper of thousands of tiny voices became a mighty deafening roar and they called it 'freedom'!"' Canadians Acting Humanely at home & everywhere

Forum Super Elite
PostPosted: Tue Jun 15, 2004 9:54 am

Of course there is another alternative, don't unionize just humanize the entire system, hire full time people and pay them a decent wage, buy products not made in children slave camps, pay employees benefits and do this all because Walmart has a conscience....then there wouldn't be a need for a union...they could do it if they wanted to...

Vive Moderator

GROUP_AVATAR
PostPosted: Tue Jun 15, 2004 10:27 am

[QUOTE BY= whelan costen] Dr. Caleb, even if you don't shop at Walmart, the reality is that Walmart is taking a chunk out of our economy. [/QUOTE] Absolutely true.<p> [QUOTE BY= whelan costen]So even for those of us who don't shop there, their policies impact the entire community.[/QUOTE] Again, true. Canada and Canadians would be better off (slightly*) if there were no Walmart. *I say 'slightly' because one thing they do contribute is keeping inflation undercontrol with their procurement policy of deflation. Average costs go down because Walmart insists it's suppliers provide deep discounts every year. of course, that drives manufacturing jobs overseas . . .<p> [QUOTE BY= whelan costen]Which I know you know and are only reflecting the apathy of most Canadians to these issues, or were you serious?. ;) [/QUOTE] No, I was serious! :) I don't like Walmart, and vote with my wallet. Most Canadians are apathetic as to the evils of Walmart, and I edjumacate when I can. <p> I have a very bitter taste in my mouth from being a union worker in my university days. When they needed me to vote on a contract, they called me day and night to make sure I'd be at the meeting. When the department manager was scheduling my shifts as 2 midnights - 8 am, then 1 day 10 am to 6 pm, then the next night 2 am to 10 am and 1 day off until I was a walking zombie; and I needed a union rep to get me some sane shifts - where were they? I wasn't important to them at the time, so they ignored me.<p> Perhaps it's not all unions or even all union locals that are that way, but this one was. I'd prefer C#'s notion that business should just be humanized. Then again, I can see no better match made in heaven than Walmart and a militant Union, such as the UFCW. Like 2 hungry dogs in a cage.<p>

Take the Kama Sutra. How many people died from the Kama Sutra as opposed to the Bible? - Frank Zappa

Forum Junkie

PostPosted: Tue Jun 15, 2004 11:15 am

What a BS poll question - WalMart has no need to increase costs to consumers when they bankroll billions each and every year. Every part of that family is on the top ten billionaires list. They should be ashamed of themselves really. Let us not forget WalMart generates more revenues than dozens of nations combined! I never shop at WalMart and neither should any Canadian that can afford to do so.

If there was ever a time for Canadians to become pushy - now is the time - for time is running out on this nation called Canada.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 15, 2004 8:36 pm

Ok a little off target but I also make a decision not to shop in US owned business or buy any goods made there. (by the way batteries and saftey razzors are a big problem for me) Anyway my question is this, if my local walmart was unionized would I make the decision to shop there to show support for the workers? One union I was in had a term deposit in a bank in Montreal ( I think) that had unionized. I would have trouble with this, an anti american but pro canadian union type.

Like a great red wine at the end of a good meal or a Van Morrison song played at just the right time, proof there is a god and every once in a while she smiles.

Forum Super Elite
PostPosted: Tue Jun 15, 2004 9:33 pm

I am not advocating shopping anywhere but local and Canadian, my point was really the way the poll was written, insinuating that if workers got a union and some decent wages, the consumer would pay, it makes no sense since they are one of the wealthiest companies in the world. But hey why should they cut into their profits just to give the worker a decent living wage? The short answer no I would prefer to support Canadian stores with Canadian products whenever possible. I mean I do buy bananas, and they aren't grown in Canada, but I buy them at Co-op not Safeway...helps my conscience. ;)

Forum Junkie

PostPosted: Tue Jun 15, 2004 10:44 pm

Kevan, What would your decision be? For me it would still be more important to not shop Wal Mart. If we keep supporting any big box stores our choices will become so limited they will no longer be a bargain and we'll all be held over a shopping barrel. These large stores also limit the success of small farms and small businesses and contribute to mass proccessing which in general is detrimental to the planet's resources. I may not be needing to tell you this however?

PostPosted: Wed Jun 16, 2004 12:17 pm

Of course, I agree but it is a problem for some people. I want to support canadian workers and every place we shop has canadian workers. But thru the use of boycotts and the small amount of power I have thru the use of my wallet means we can keep our money in Canada. I will never shop walmart, sears, future shop or tim hortons. I will shop the bay, zellers, ab sound and country style. I buy made in china batteries and greek made (yes greek, who knew) razors.

Like a great red wine at the end of a good meal or a Van Morrison song played at just the right time, proof there is a god and every once in a while she smiles.

Forum Junkie

PostPosted: Fri Jul 02, 2004 10:23 pm

This is a really strange post! This is my hole-in-the-woods-hometown we're talking about! Good 'ol Terrace, BC (where I'm currently typing). <br /> <br />Anyways, our colourful little community is being taken over by big-box stores. The Walmart in question comes on the heels of a highly successful Canadian Tire a few years ago. When Canadian Tire opened, our Co-Op grocery/hardware/clothing store, restaurant, gas bar, and garden centre shut down. So rather than having customer-owned retail, we got Canadian Tire. (Just a side note here: chain stores are ridiculously successful here. I heard rumours that our Canadian Tire was the most profitable in the country - in a city of less than 20 000!). <br /> <br />When Walmart opened, our regional clothing store closed down. Not only are stores closing in Terrace, but in all the surrounding communities as well. And with them, our community identity is being sucked dry. <br /> <br />Terrace's future is said to depend heavily on tourism, and yet the most prime piece of commercial real-estate in town was sold to Walmart. The property is on the through-town highway and the Skeena River. It is truly picturesque with a municipal park on a huge island in the middle of the river just across from the Walmart. <br /> <br />This property could be developed as a boardwalk with little shops with character. Each shop would employ full time workers, as little shops tend to do. Instead, Walmart comes in with minimum wage, part-time jobs. <br /> <br />I've made people boycott Walmart along with me. Lots don't believe that it is bad for the region. "It brings jobs," they say. But the jobs are minimum wage and all the profits are sucked out of the region. Plus the economic draw to Terrace comes at great cost to our neighboring communities. Their commercial infrastructure is at stake. If trends continue, they will be forced to drive as far as 300km just to get groceries (no joke - I live in the sticks!). <br /> <br />Unionizing is like patching a severed limb with a bandaid: better than nothing, but that doesn't say much. <br /> <br />Much luck to the unionists, though. I am in a private-sector union and it does wonders for me. A strong union is a powerful tool and, wielded responsibly, it builds democracy and equality as well as a higher standard of living for all. <br /> <br />Unions are great, but I think we should look at ways to ensure their responsible use. For example, we unions should be consulted as a business partner during business deals. That way, strikes can be avoided and the union won't feel as though it's under attack all the time. Cooperation is the key. <br /> <br />-KY

Kory Yamashita

"What lies behind us and what lies ahead of us are tiny matters compared to what lies within us." - Oliver Wendell Holmes

Forum Junkie

PostPosted: Fri Jul 02, 2004 10:25 pm

Oh and one more point: I refuse to shop at Walmart. I do my best to shop at locally-owned and operated stores. And I buy high-quality products at a higher price so that I won't create waste while "upgrading" in the future. <br /> <br />I also pay 5 to 10 times as much to eat food rather than McDonalds. Just a thought... <br /> <br />-KY

Kory Yamashita

"What lies behind us and what lies ahead of us are tiny matters compared to what lies within us." - Oliver Wendell Holmes

Forum Elite

GROUP_AVATAR
PostPosted: Mon Jul 05, 2004 1:04 pm

Kory, are you implying that McDonalds sells food? The Canadian government should slap tariffs on everything coming into the country that could be produced here, so that producing it here would be a viable profitable option. Then you wouldn't have to worry about wal mart.