Author Topic Options

Forum Super Elite

PostPosted: Mon Sep 25, 2006 4:25 pm

<strong>Written By:</strong> rearguard
<strong>Date:</strong> 2006-09-25 16:25:15
<a href="/article/142515864-bc-border-guards-resume-work-after-walkout">Article Link</a>

Read the rest here:
<a href="http://cnews.canoe.ca/CNEWS/Canada/2006/09/24/1893631-cp.html">http://cnews.canoe.ca/CNEWS/Canada/2006/09/24/1893631-cp.html</a>

Forum Elite

PostPosted: Mon Sep 25, 2006 10:43 pm

How embarassing. Something from Monty Python "run away, run away!" These people are to be issued guns? If they panic at the mere thought of a bad guy coming their way, how will they react when armed and actualy confront someone who looks suspicious? They are suppose to be "peace officers". They are a laughing stock.

---
Expect little from life and get more from it.

Forum Super Elite

PostPosted: Tue Sep 26, 2006 1:43 am

I have a few things to point out about this strange story: <br><br> a) The fugitive has yet to be named (to my knowledge) along with the details of why he's a fugitive, and that makes me wonder if there actually is a fugitive for real. <br><br> b) If the fugitive was supposedly going to "storm the border", then how is it that they knew what a fugitive evading capture would be doing, and how did they know that it was safe to return to work even though the fugitive had not been captured? <br><br> c) Why did the RCMP not show up? <br><br> d) Is it just coincidence that this border running fugitive story happened at the same time the MSM has been running many stories concerning the border <a href="http://www.vivelecanada.ca/article.php/20060921113548744">like this story</a>? <br><br> e) Why is it that the MSM has been generally supportive of arming border guards and making unfounded claims that the world is more dangerous today than it has been over the last 100 years or more? <br><br> f) Why is it that the people are made completely defensless while the police get so well armed they could fight in a war zone? Who exactly are they so afraid of when it's apparently perfectly safe for citizens to be walking around defensless?

PostPosted: Tue Sep 26, 2006 11:41 am

They must have been afraid for some of the many many gun-toting uniformed US officials - sherrif, posse, police, state troopers, Border Patrol, private security guards, Army, Navy, Marines, Air Force, Coast Guard, Postman, or even (just imagine) an individual with a gun.......

Don't we realize that the US is really after Canada?

Jacob

Vive Moderator

GROUP_AVATAR
PostPosted: Tue Sep 26, 2006 12:21 pm

How embarassing indeed. We take their guns away, then wonder why the won't man a dangerous post.

"They are suppose to be "peace officers"."

No, they are Border Guards. They enforce immigration and import laws, not the criminal code of Canada.

"They are a laughing stock."

You're right. For $25 an hour, they should have stood their ground, and died in a hail of bullets.

---
"I think it's important to always carry enough technology to restart civilization, should it be necessary." Mark Tilden

Take the Kama Sutra. How many people died from the Kama Sutra as opposed to the Bible? - Frank Zappa

Forum Elite

PostPosted: Tue Sep 26, 2006 2:40 pm

You may want to look up the definition of "peace officer".

They did not take their guns away and infact will be issuing them once the officers are trained. As a Former Police officer, I can assure you having a hand gun requires more then the ability to hit a target. Few police officers have drawn their guns and fired them on duty. The few that have, must explain in a report as to why they found it neccessary. An investigation takes place if "anyone" was harmed by their action. There is no such thing as warning shots or threats with an issued firearm. You don't shoot at cars or fleeing criminals. These "peace officers" are not the only ones unarmed. They ran for cover when they heard a man in California might just head their way. Why then did they not protect the public if they felt it as a threat? If they considered the threat as life threatening, they should have warned the public and assisted them in finding cover. Their duty is to protect the pubic before themseves Being armed and as a public servent, shouldn't mean standing behind a baracade waiting to take pop shots at a suspect. What did these officers intend on doing should they have been armed? I certainly wouldn't want these men to cover me in an unlight warehouse.

---

Vive Moderator

GROUP_AVATAR
PostPosted: Tue Sep 26, 2006 3:05 pm

"You may want to look up the definition of "peace officer". "<br />
<br />
You are correct, it includes section "D) enforcement under the Customs Act or the Excise Act". My bad.<br />
<br />
<a href="http://laws.justice.gc.ca/en/C-52.6/232569.html">http://laws.justice.gc.ca/en/C-52.6/232569.html</a><br />
<br />
And, I had a blonde moment. Wildlife officers here used to have the right to carry, but had it taken away. I thought I remembered it as border guards. My bad #2.<br />
<br />
"Why then did they not protect the public if they felt it as a threat?"<br />
<br />
But my point still stands. If someone tells you someone potentially armed is coming to your place of work, odds are you are gonna leave. You won't wait for anything past that phone call. At least, I'm not, any more than I wait for flames and smoke to confirm why someone pulled the fire alarm.<br />
<br />
They are not equipped to deal with such a person, and should rightly leave it for the RCMP.<br />
<br />
"I certainly wouldn't want these men to cover me in an unlight warehouse."<br />
<br />
Nethier would I, but that isn't part of their training. I wouldn't want a Brinks guard to investegate a motor vehicle accident ethier.<p>---<br>"I think it's important to always carry enough technology to restart civilization, should it be necessary." Mark Tilden<br />

Take the Kama Sutra. How many people died from the Kama Sutra as opposed to the Bible? - Frank Zappa

CKA Elite

PostPosted: Tue Sep 26, 2006 3:08 pm

"You're right. For $25 an hour, they should have stood their ground, and died in a hail of bullets."

Okay dokey?
Hail of bullets?
An odd spin on it dc

but instead of doing the immigration part of their job, the supposition now is
There is a armed and dangerous gun wielding nut bar loose in Canada

Oh yeah, ant the fifty keys of blow got trough too (seeing as we are speculating)

---
Diogenes said:
"I am Diogenes the Dog. I nuzzle the kind, bark at the greedy and bite scoundrels."

"When I tell the truth, it is not for the sake of convincing those who do not know it, but for the sake of defending those that do."

William Blake

"To acquire knowledge, one must study;
but to acquire wisdom, one must observe."

Forum Super Elite

PostPosted: Tue Sep 26, 2006 4:13 pm

"I certainly wouldn't want these men to cover me in an unlight warehouse."

No kidding! They literally ran away trembling in fear leaving people stranded in their cars directly in the path of an expected "hail of bullets".

Imagine being a passenger on a sinking ship only to watch the captain and his crew lower a life boat, jump in it, and row away leaving everyone else to fend for themselves!

What a pathetic display it was. As you ask, I cannot imagine what these people would have done had they been issued firearms. If anything, the display of cowardice is justification for NOT handing guns over to them.

Forum Elite

PostPosted: Tue Sep 26, 2006 4:24 pm

Don't we realize that the US is really after Canada?<<

Yes but we have politicans that will gve them what they want without resistance. At one time Americans wanted "resistance" to justify their assault. Today they seek the defenceless and call any resister .....? You get the point!

---

Forum Elite

PostPosted: Tue Sep 26, 2006 4:45 pm

"I certainly wouldn't want these men to cover me in an unlight warehouse."

Nethier would I, but that isn't part of their training<<

But it is. I was also enforcing Customs & Emigration on the waterfront as part of my policing duties. Those duties entailed entering the warehouses and doing a check of goods received in the port. At the time the "Longshoremen" were very anti-police & Customs /excise enforcement. The border has warehousing as well and Customs check is frequent night or day. These are not places you have your firearm out of the holster. What purpose would a handgun have in the Customs office as you drive into the border? No officer is going to have it drawn and pointed at everyone who enters Canada. Most lineups are long and it's unlikely a fleeing criminal is going to stay in line. And if the criminal was to jump the line, it's unlikely he/she would use a firearm to cross the border. Especialy when they know they aren't going to face immediate danger. (Knowing Canadian personal are armed, may change that.) Few American criminals will "escape" to Canada and certainly not with guns blazing.

---

PostPosted: Wed Sep 27, 2006 7:31 am

STOP! If you don't throw down your weapons and come out with your hands up, I will yell STOP! once again!

What a joke - the unarmed border guards are supposed to stop an armed criminal HOW? By trapping bullets within their own bodies?

I heard some reform party git on the radio yesterday saying that since the guards were promised guns sometime in the future that they should have stayed and taken on the armed criminal. Well, how about this - the reform party can relieve the border guards when armed nutcases approach the border and stop bullets with their iron will.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 27, 2006 9:48 am

I have to laugh at this one. In the winter I sometimes ski in Washington and when returning home I find the Canadian border guards to be quite full of attitude. I have found this to be the case at the airport as well. The Canadian border guards are bad ass when dealing with people like myself, a Canadian citizen who has the right to re-enter my own country. Yet at the first sniff of trouble these people run for the hills. Nice one!

CKA Elite

PostPosted: Wed Sep 27, 2006 11:40 am

There is something wonky about this story.
And as we all know the wonkier the story the more action it receives.

After reading the news release on the link provided I am not so sure that the whole exercise was not some troll test to gauge the publics reactions.

Up until such time as the &#8220;fugitive&#8221; approached the Canadian boarder it was a USA problem, right?
That being the case where were the American authorities?

---
Diogenes said:
"I am Diogenes the Dog. I nuzzle the kind, bark at the greedy and bite scoundrels."

"When I tell the truth, it is not for the sake of convincing those who do not know it, but for the sake of defending those that do."

William Blake

"To acquire knowledge, one must study;
but to acquire wisdom, one must observe."

Forum Elite

PostPosted: Wed Sep 27, 2006 5:04 pm

That being the case where were the American authorities?<<

Good point! It's a long ways to the Canadian border from California. If the American authorities knew the suspect was headed for Canada, one would think they would have an eye open before he even reached the border. Just how was the Canadian authorities to know who and when he was to arrive. No matter which border crossing he was to take, the RCMP would have been notified. The older this story becomes, the more it smells fishy.

---