Author Topic Options

PostPosted: Sat Aug 27, 2005 12:58 pm

<strong>Written By:</strong> jensonj
<strong>Date:</strong> 2005-08-27 12:58:00
<a href="/article/6583639-canadians-fourth-worst-grumblers-in-the-world">Article Link</a>

"It's a new culture emerging, with people demanding a high level of service," said NOP spokesperson Amanda Wheeler. She said questions about complaining were a new addition to the NOP's huge annual consumer survey, the Roper Reports Worldwide. The survey examines people's lifestyle, values and consumer habits.

"We brought in a few questions on complaining. ... Because of the trend we picked up we'll be asking things more in-depth on next year's survey.

A press release outlining the study results said, "Across the world, those who make complaints tend to be wealthier and better educated — they consume more, they know what they want, and they aren't prepared to settle for second best."

Ian Skurnik, a University of Toronto professor who studies consumer psychology, said the NOP survey could be showing more about the freedom to complain in various countries than the levels of annoyance in different cultures.

"In a country that doesn't have the same kind of democratic conditions that Canada does, it's possible you're just less willing to lodge a complaint with anybody who seems to be in a position of authority. It might be that you actually harbour dissatisfactions and you're not giving voice to them in this way. You might complain to your friends and family instead."

With a whole new appreciation for the griping power of Canadians, The Star took to the streets of Toronto to ask people for their greatest gripes.

"Complainers," said Chris Kozakowski, 53. "People that complain about absolutely everything. They're just never satisfied."

"Cigarette ashtrays on the street," said Johnny Verissimo, 24, puffing on a cigarette.

"Pretty soon a cop's going to give me a ticket for throwing away a butt."

"People who overcharge on stuff," said 12-year-old Garreth. "I know someone who was charging tax on 5-cent candies."

Matteo Sgaramella, 18, beefed about the school system. "Why go to school all day if they're just going to make you do schoolwork at home at night?"

"People who walk too slow," said Puiyee So, 18.

"Grocery stores where the line takes forever," said Cordelia Chan, 19.

"Fast food really isn't that fast," observed Cherry Li, 18.

But just try to wring a disparaging word from Tony Cortez, 40. Born in the Philippines, he's a Canadian resident now.

"Canada's a beautiful country with beautiful people," he said. "So I'm not complaining."

If you hated this article, forward all complaints to: The Toronto Star, One Yonge Street, Toronto, Ontario, M5E 1E6.

<a href="http://www.thestar.com/NASApp/cs/ContentServer?pagename=thestar/Layout/Article_PrintFriendly&c=Article&cid=1125006613241&call_pageid=968332188774">http://www.thestar.com/NASApp/cs/ContentServer?pagename=thestar/Layout/Article_PrintFriendly&c=Article&cid=1125006613241&call_pageid=968332188774</a>

[Proofreader's note: this article was edited for spelling and typos on August 29, 2005]

PostPosted: Sat Aug 27, 2005 1:32 pm

I can see why why China and Saudi Arabia are second and third from the bottom, as it could be hazardous to your health to complain in those countries.

But luckily we have the freedom to complain in Canada. Personally if I had nothing to complain about, I would have nothing to say. ha ha.

Maybe its our British heritage that we complain so much? As I see UK and Australia are right near the yop as well. ha ha

PostPosted: Sat Aug 27, 2005 3:20 pm

Gee, what a revolation…

Forum Super Elite
PostPosted: Sun Aug 28, 2005 12:00 am

The only thing better would be if we were first! Tthis is a clear indication that Canadians are waking up, because we have plenty to complain about, too bad we didn't start sooner! I'd say this is good news!

---
If I stand for my country today...will my country be here to stand for me tomorrow?

"aaaah and the whisper of thousands of tiny voices became a mighty deafening roar and they called it 'freedom'!"' Canadians Acting Humanely at home & everywhere

Forum Elite

PostPosted: Sun Aug 28, 2005 7:06 am

I'd like to find the survey poll that gave these results. From what I can gather so far, this was a poll on consumer complaints. The article states that the more you consume, the more you complain...so what can we make of this ? Could it be that the more you consume the more you expect good customer service to come with it and ain't getting it ? <p> That the U.K. would come out as the top contender in the complaining department does not surprise me at all. This is the one country with the most ineffecient customer service practices I've ever come across. I've moved many times in my life and the worst hassles I've ever got in getting the electicity, gas, phone, water connected to my house was in the U.K. (talk about red tape galore for essential services). Funny thing though, no matter how much you complained, service didn't get any better. <p> So it is not the complainers I would 'complain' about as much as I would towards those companies who make large profits from consumers yet don't bother re-einvesting sufficient funds to provide their customers with the proper product support they have every right to expect. <p>---<br>« Il y a une belle, une terrible rationalité dans la décision d'être libre. » - Gérard Bergeron <br />

« Il y a une belle, une terrible rationalité dans la décision d´être libre. » - Gérard Bergeron

PostPosted: Sun Aug 28, 2005 7:27 am

No Shi%@. In the UK we have regulations for everything.. I even remember once reading that we even have regulations on the height of steps in ones home. Everything is tightly regulated… except for the SOB Tony Blair.

I just embarrassed to read that we are not number one!

People should wake up but not complain about stupid company services but about politicians that are lackies for corporations.

Forum Elite

PostPosted: Sun Aug 28, 2005 9:49 am

I wish they would quite these endless sureys. Surveys on this and surveys on that. Always a survey.

Expect little from life and get more from it.

Vive Moderator

GROUP_AVATAR
PostPosted: Sun Aug 28, 2005 3:17 pm

I wholly agree. I think Canadians should have been closer to the top on the list of whiners. Beating at least the Aussies, but it would be tough to beat the British. Sureley something to strive for! I guess most of us are just too polite to complain about not being first.

But the Swiss are first? Please! Guess it's the perfection complex. ;)

---
"If you must kill a man, it costs you nothing to be polite about it." Winston Churchill

Take the Kama Sutra. How many people died from the Kama Sutra as opposed to the Bible? - Frank Zappa

Forum Junkie

PostPosted: Sun Aug 28, 2005 8:34 pm

Good. People have a right to complain, in fact they don't complain nearly enough. Only sheep accept things the way they are. Better yet, instead of just complaining get up and do something about it.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 29, 2005 7:14 am

My feet hurt...

PostPosted: Mon Aug 29, 2005 10:38 am

Well, actually sheepies complain to no end but rarely do anything outside the normal routine. It's one thing to recognize problems. It's quite another thing to complain about them. The best thing is to do something constructive to remedy the problem. I'd rather people are able to identify problems and then act in an effective and positive manner to make things better. Merely complaining is an insufferable badge of cowardace of which nobody should be proud.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 29, 2005 11:10 pm

I have a hemorrhoid the size of a beach ball... And its the Americans fault!

PostPosted: Mon Aug 29, 2005 11:12 pm

Neoclassical economics gave me crab lice!

Forum Elite
PostPosted: Tue Aug 30, 2005 1:48 pm

The study was asking how many people have complained *to companies*; this is entirely different and far more constructive than just grumbling about it. If a company is screwing up, they may not know at all until people complain to them (in much the same way that vive can only keep the trolls at bay if people tell us where they're making trouble).

---
Every time you complain about the moderators, god kills a kitten.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 02, 2005 6:17 pm

Complain?. What me?. Those pollsters can't get anything right.

Frank