Author Topic Options

Forum Super Elite
PostPosted: Sun Jul 31, 2005 10:45 pm

<strong>Written By:</strong> whelan costen
<strong>Date:</strong> 2005-07-31 22:45:00
<a href="/article/224537889-loss-of-canadian-sovereignty-oped">Article Link</a>

It is more than time to look at what is happening in our country and see the loss of our own power as a result of international arrangements that are incrementally killing us!!! It is more than time to say "No More!" It is more than time to get out of the agreements that are really hurting us! It is more than time to elect Members of Parliament who are pro Canadian, not anti Canadian!

We must remember that international treaties are no longer about making life better for the masses of people in the world. Globalization now is about eliminating the power of sovereign people to make decision in their interest whenever those interests will interfere with the global agenda of greed and global power in the control and interest of an elite few. Thanks to the work of activists around the world we now know that the new global rules require that every government cooperating in globalization must eventually eliminate all its local laws that interfere with the elite's global agenda. Such governments are enemies of their own people.

When the people are asked, they say no when they understand the implications. Our Canadian example is the defeat of the Charlottetown Accord which would have altered our Constitution such as to eliminate many rights of the citizens. The recent French and Dutch rejection of the European Union Constitution is another example of the people saying no. Many of the other EU countries were not given a vote on the issue. Their governments simply committed the people to the EU Constitution. That constitution was aimed at establishing the dominance of the market place; that is, the requirement of EU nations to erode their social programs and instead make laws to favor the corporate profits before people.

So it is all about an ethos for living. Do we want a world that permits a nation of people to make their own decision for their own interest? Or do we want a world where nations, hence the people, are not allowed to make their own choices, and punished if they try??

It is noteworthy that the US flagrantly violates international accords when it suits them, like the Kyoto Accord, or paying its financial dues to the United Nations, or closing the border to healthy Canadian beef . The most heinous violation is its current actions in Guantanamo Bay in Cuba where it detains and tortures people the USA defines as terrorists. There they violate international laws that protect prisoners of war from torture saying those international protections do not apply because the detainees are not prisoners of war -never mind that they are from Iraq or Afghanistan where the US has created war.

Much has been written about the hypocrisy and complicity of the USA in international drug trafficking and the failure in its "war on drugs." Afghanistan had almost put an end to the production and trade of poppy seed for the drug trade of opium. Since the US invasion and attack on Afghanistan and interference in their sovereignty, the opium trade in Afghanistan is flourishing.

Back to Marc Emery and marijuana and the long arm of the USA. Emery is charged in absentia in the USA with drug related charges including conspiring to distribute marihuana seeds for which the penalty is a life sentence in a US jail if convicted. Emery has been a marijuana activist in Canada for years, and occasionally charged and convicted where he has violated existing Canadian law. However, it is not an uncommon practice for Canadian police to go easy on matters that are affected by social policy and change in process. That is our Canadian way.

The whole issue of legal uses of marijuana for medicinal purposes as a painkiller in chronic disease is already implemented. The gradual changes in Canadian law over possession vs trafficking has been going on for years. Our federal government is close to making some significant changes in the law for Canadians as a result of political pressure from the public and advocates like Marc Emery. The U.S. does not like that.

The US has made it very clear they are not happy with the Canadian direction on marijuana law. Their laws hold marijuana to be a dangerous drug equal to heroin or opium. Our law does not. This attack on Emery is the flexing of US muscle telling Canadians that we have to approach the marijuana issue their way. The international arrangements in place have given the US a legal route into their attack on Emery and hence on every Canadian. The recent accord between Bush, Martin, and Fox to implement a common North American Union by 2010 under US domination eliminating the distinct national status of Canada, Mexico and the USA is also in play here.

It is wrong for the US way to be dumped on and used against Canadians. It is certainly wrong for our country to cooperate with any regime in such a way as to subject Canadians to punishment in a foreign regime that exceeds the punishment applied in Canada for a marijuana offence. It is particularly offensive for our government to be cooperating with another regime to subject Canadians to criminal charges for actions that are not an offence in Canada, or for actions that may have been an offence but are in policy process of eliminating the offence. Are we sovereign or not?

Canadians are entitled to be protected from the over-reach of any foreign jurisdiction, including the USA. It is time Canadians put the reigns on our government's complicity with the unification of North America into one union under US dominance and control. It is time our government ceased its endless cow-towing to Canada's corporate elite of anti Canadians, the Canadian Council of Chief Executives, who are leading the charge in Canada to unify North America in their interests.

From its inception in 1997 the Canadian Action Party has a commitment to act on taking back the sovereignty of Canada, to living up to the citizen protections that exist in our Canadian Constitution. We are not content to merely give lip service to the warnings and information coming from think tanks like the Center for Canadian Policy Alternatives, or nonprofit organizations like the Defence of Canadian Liberty Committee, the Council of Canadians, or from Canadian lawyers like Rocco Galati, and Canadian academics like Michel Chossudovsky, William Krehm, Mel Hurtig, Naomi Klein, Murray Dobbin, Linda McQuaig. We say it is time to take back our country for our own people. It is time to rid ourselves of the clout of the anti Canadians.

The Canadian Action Party demands a national referendum to decide if we want Canada to end as an entity, and to decide if we want to be a part of a common union of North America under US control. We say it is tantamount to treason for national leaders and bureaucracy and the CEOs of major Canadian corporations to be setting in process the demise of Canada without the knowledge and consent of Canadians.

Constance (Connie) Fogal, Leader, Canadian Action Party.

CANADIAN ACTION PARTY/ PARTI ACTION CANADIENNE
#385-916 West Broadway, Vancouver, B.C. V5Z1K7
Tel: (604) 708 -3372 Fax: (604) 872 -1504
E-Mail: info@canadianactionparty.ca or contact the leader at conniefogal@telus.net or tel (604) 872- 2128
<a href="http://www.canadianactionparty.ca">www.canadianactionparty.ca</a>

Or Contact:
Catherine Whelan Costen, Vice President and Candidate
Email: cathpublish@wildroseinternet.ca
Ph: 403-684-3514 or 403-660-0449 Fax: 403-684-3464

[Proofreader's note: this article was edited for spelling and typos on August 1, 2005]

"aaaah and the whisper of thousands of tiny voices became a mighty deafening roar and they called it 'freedom'!"' Canadians Acting Humanely at home & everywhere

PostPosted: Sun Jul 31, 2005 11:57 pm

I hope Connie is sending these "stand up for Canadian values" letters to major news outlets. (International World Television too). I like this lady.

JesusMaryJosephX3

Forum Super Elite
PostPosted: Mon Aug 01, 2005 12:35 am

It will indeed be sent out as widely as possible, whether it gets printed will be up to the news outlets. You may forward the story to anyone you believe is interested in also standing for Canada.

---
If I stand for my country today...will my country be here to stand for me tomorrow?

"aaaah and the whisper of thousands of tiny voices became a mighty deafening roar and they called it 'freedom'!"' Canadians Acting Humanely at home & everywhere

PostPosted: Mon Aug 01, 2005 12:50 am

I suspect even now, most Canadians are not truly aware of the implications of Marc Emery's arrest & request for extradition. many Canadians would simply shrug and say he waqs just a "druggie" that broke the law. They'd miss the point that he's a CANADIAN and he's being charged under a FOREIGN law. Worse, he might even be extradited to be tried & sentenced under a foreign law in a foreign country. Still, some Canadians might not see this as all that serious (we're not really known as the brightest people in the world, eh?)

This situation is the moral & legal equivalent of the following hypothetical situation. Suppose we have treaties (and we probably do) with Saudi Arabia. Suppose further that Saudi Arabia passed a law whereby all women had to wear bhurkas under pain of death. Should they have the right to demand the extradition of all Canadian women (in Canada) who do not wear bhurkas, to Saudi Arabia for trial, sentencing & execution? OF COURSE NOT! The USA shouldn't have that right either! It's an affront to our sovereignty, if indeed we have any left.

The USA itself became a sovereign nation because it asserted the king didn't have the right to tax them without representation. Well Canadians don't have representation in the US government, so why should they be subject to its laws? as far as I'm concerned, Marc's arrest should be a signal to make our own "Emancipation Proclamation", and if necessary, go to war with the bastards to defend our rights as Canadians!

PostPosted: Mon Aug 01, 2005 6:47 am

many Canadians would simply shrug and say he waqs just a "druggie" that broke the law.
Funny herein Canada having the seeds isn't illegal, as far as the us claims that Marc Emery Seeds was the provider to the numerous pot grow bust most of which would have been for medicial use (another thing the us won't accept although pot's value as medicine is being proven daily)

it's good to see that this matter is being discuss on this list and not dismissed as just another druggie, it's unfortunate that the major media chooses to ignore the truth

I for one has already donated to his defense fund, and only wish I could more because this is really a loss of Canadian Sovereignty

PostPosted: Mon Aug 01, 2005 7:49 am

It is now common knowledge in the U.S.A., that an objection to U.S. policy by Senators or congressmen or women is to be branded as a terroris, maverick,activist scheduled for political assasination. Looking at the policy of Bush and his Brown shirt gestapo it is self evident that their actions and policies emulate to the last detail those of the late, [thank God], Senator McCarthy who branded all those in opposition Communists. As Bush is saying loud and clear to our Canadian politicians, please don't kiss me yet I have neither bent over nor removed my shorts. you ----holes.

Forum Elite

PostPosted: Mon Aug 01, 2005 10:01 am

An excellent article, very well written and the only fault I could find with it was the perplexing call for a referendum on "whether we should remain Canada". In a case such as this wouldn't it be far more helpful to call for a referendum, or at least a petition, to REFUSE to extradite Marc Emery or on whether to extradite him. I'm all for more referenda but that one just seems bizarre.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 01, 2005 10:24 am

The public simply does not care.If the Yanks can get away with this,more power to them.It is the Canadians that are dumb,dumb,dumb,dumb.

Forum Elite

PostPosted: Mon Aug 01, 2005 10:39 am

When the Union Carbide gas spill killed up to 23,000 people in Bhopal, India in 1984, destituting and crippling more, the company walked away from the disaster, without any responsibilites, or compensation paid to anybody. The US government refused to indict, or extradite the CEO, Warren Anderson, to face criminal charges in India. This is only one in a long line of similar scandals all over the world.

Of course, the Indian government was also guilty in not pressing the matter to maintain "good trade relations" with the USA, just as the Canadian government is now also licking boots for the same reason. After all, we can not hurt the feelings and deny the demands of our "best friends and biggest trading partners" . This is what "free trade" is all about. Ed Deak, Big Lake, BC.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 01, 2005 11:28 am

I am extremely worried that as Canadians we are just going to roll over for the Americans. It is no coincidence that the arrest of Marc Emery and the raid on the BCMP headquarters happened at the end of the day just before a long weekend. There isn't a newsroom in Canada that has a spare reporter to investigate the abuses of power demonstrated by the US Drug Enforcement Agency.

My question is, would the US DEA make an arrest of an internet based seed distribution company in the Netherlands? Not a chance. The Dutch would never allow it. What was Associate Chief Justice Patrick Dohm of the BC Supreme Court thinking? Does he think that most Canadians approve of the US style war on drugs. I do not. I believe it is a complete failure when it comes to cannabis. For instance, why are Americans buying so many marijuana seeds in spite of the US policy?

Fred Mallach

Victoria, BC

Forum Super Elite
PostPosted: Mon Aug 01, 2005 12:03 pm

marcarc, the Emery case though very important, it is a symptom of the disease, we need to eradicate the disease. Which is why she is calling for a referendum on Canadian Sovereignty. As many have posted Canadians don't realize what this decision means. Who will be next?

---
If I stand for my country today...will my country be here to stand for me tomorrow?

PostPosted: Mon Aug 01, 2005 2:47 pm

As an American, I think it is incredible that the U.S. government now dictates Canadian law enforcement. The war against marijuana began in the U.S. because of corruption in our government. It continues today for the SAME reason, to the tune of 30+ Billion a year. Our children are destroying themselves with Methamphetamine and our government is building and filling new prisons with pot smokers. A few politicians will be rewarded for their obediance to the U.S., but the remaining citizens will suffer for it.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 01, 2005 4:04 pm

The US is charging a Canadian activist and party leader under US laws? I'd forget the pot issue altogether for this one. This is B-S. This is canary in the coal mine stuff right here and not theory or speculation. What's to stop them (the US admin) from grabbing a couple of anti-nuke-U-lar activists? Or a few peace activists for that matter?

Good writing up there. We have an activist soldier down. I'll put the word out everywhere I can. Thank-you for bringing this to our attention. I'm all for a referendum. It's the perfect time to re-assert our independance as a country... Actually, I think it's long past due.

~Ivy

PostPosted: Mon Aug 01, 2005 10:28 pm

As an american citizen, i am outraged and completely embarrasesed about the invasion of Canada and arrest of Mark Emery by my government. This is the time that Canada must stand up for one of its own or face more instances of abuse like this again and again. The US would not extradite one its citizens to another country to face charges in another country that far outway its own. Please, for the sake of the rest of North America and the rest of the world, stand up for one of your against another US invasion.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 01, 2005 10:34 pm

What part of the word "illegal" don't you understand?

He wanted attention, he got it.