mso-para-margin-right:0cm;
mso-para-margin-bottom:8.0pt;
mso-para-margin-left:0cm;
line-height:107%;
mso-pagination:widow-orphan;
font-size:12.0pt;
font-family:"Arial","sans-serif";
mso-fareast-language:EN-US;}

Last month, the Northern Gateway pipeline was approved by the Harper government. In response, many First Nations people swore they would never support the pipeline being built through their lands. Many people accused the Aboriginals of being greedy and lazy, opposing the pipeline simply to wring more money out of Enbridge. However, as with so much else in Canada, things are more complicated than they first seem.

read more

All your news belong to ME! Whahaha I eat news!

Forum Elite

PostPosted: Thu Aug 28, 2014 9:30 pm

Witness the Mt. Polley spill, apparently the largest spill of it's kind in the world:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mount_Polley_mine_disaster
What with adhering to a "results-based" policy, spills do not happen - until they do. Only then will it be admitted that the genii cannot be entirely put back in the proverbial bottle.
FNs have a legitimate right to be concerned.

"Stay Calm, Be Brave, Wait for the Signs"
RickW

CKA Moderator
PostPosted: Fri Aug 29, 2014 6:18 am

RickW RickW:
Witness the Mt. Polley spill, apparently the largest spill of it's kind in the world:

Nope. Martin county Coal Slurry in 2000 was worse, with 1.1b litres of sludge, and the TVA Kingston Fossil Plant ash flow in 2008 was 1.1 billion gallons of some of the worst crap you can imagine.

Mt. Polley was very tame in comparison. And has little to do with the Northern Gateway pipeline.

CKA Uber

GROUP_AVATAR
PostPosted: Fri Aug 29, 2014 5:01 pm

I'm so glad the "First Nations" are opposed to the pipeline based on their unbiased love of the environment and not the money. :roll:

Aboriginal group on Vancouver Island signs deal for LNG project

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/report-o ... e19507257/

$1:
“We’re open for business. For too long, we’ve been left behind in the resource industry and basically consulted after the fact. We want to be part of this LNG project,” Mr. Cook said in an interview.

$1:
New pipelines would need to be built for transporting natural gas across the Georgia Strait to Vancouver Island. Mr. Kuzemko acknowledged that there are enormous challenges ahead, ranging from securing LNG buyers in Asia to clearing environmental assessment hurdles to lining up financing for a project that could cost $30-billion based on production of 24 million tonnes a year, excluding pipeline expenses.

Where are all the Natives complaining about this pipeline? Oh yeah it won't run across native land and will benefit natives so it's okay?

A new approach may be needed but, a non hypocritical approach to resource extraction and revenue sharing by the natives should be first on that list.

Forum Elite

PostPosted: Wed Sep 10, 2014 2:42 pm

DrCaleb DrCaleb:
RickW RickW:

Nope. Martin county Coal Slurry in 2000 was worse, with 1.1b litres of sludge, and the TVA Kingston Fossil Plant ash flow in 2008 was 1.1 billion gallons of some of the worst crap you can imagine.

Mt. Polley was very tame in comparison. And has little to do with the Northern Gateway pipeline.

And your point is, Mr. literalist?
https://news.vice.com/article/tailings- ... r-heard-of
I suppose, in order to "relate" to the pipeline, the tailing pond would have to be strictly and only the ones in the tarsands? Tailing ponds are tailing ponds. What they contain or originate from are just semantics.

RickW

CKA Moderator
PostPosted: Thu Sep 11, 2014 6:02 am

RickW RickW:
I suppose, in order to "relate" to the pipeline, the tailing pond would have to be strictly and only the ones in the tarsands? Tailing ponds are tailing ponds. What they contain or originate from are just semantics.

Nope. You are comparing apples to a Victorian Lamp. It doesn't matter how you try, the two will never equate.

Pipelines are pipelines. Tailings ponds are tailings ponds. Northern Gateway is a pipeline, not a tailings pond.

Forum Elite

PostPosted: Tue Sep 16, 2014 8:58 pm

DrCaleb DrCaleb:
RickW RickW:

Nope. You are comparing apples to a Victorian Lamp. It doesn't matter how you try, the two will never equate.

Pipelines are pipelines. Tailings ponds are tailings ponds. Northern Gateway is a pipeline, not a tailings pond.

Then you figure out how to separate the Northern Gateway from the tailing ponds that the process spawns. They are one! One thing I do not like are deliberately obtuse people - such as yourself.

RickW

CKA Moderator
PostPosted: Wed Sep 17, 2014 6:08 am

RickW RickW:
DrCaleb DrCaleb:
RickW RickW:

Then you figure out how to separate the Northern Gateway from the tailing ponds that the process spawns. They are one! One thing I do not like are deliberately obtuse people - such as yourself.

I'm not deliberately obtuse, I'm simply stating fact. Environmental requirements are that new oilsands leases have no tailings ponds; older tailings ponds have already been reclaimed and the rest will be reclaimed in the next few years, and most new oilsands use the SAG-D process so there are no tailings ponds.

Problem solved.

Forum Elite

PostPosted: Thu Sep 18, 2014 5:07 pm

Problem Solved? Hardly think so. The already-leaking tailing ponds have contaminated water systems beyond salvage. And putting a few grassy mounds where bogs once thrived is hardly a "problem solved".

However, for those so inclined to see boxes instead of the whole, I will concede that northern gateway is not a tailing pond. However, northern gateway won't be built, so - problem solved!

RickW

CKA Moderator
PostPosted: Fri Sep 19, 2014 6:04 am

RickW RickW:
Problem Solved? Hardly think so. The already-leaking tailing ponds have contaminated water systems beyond salvage. And putting a few grassy mounds where bogs once thrived is hardly a "problem solved".

However, for those so inclined to see boxes instead of the whole, I will concede that northern gateway is not a tailing pond. However, northern gateway won't be built, so - problem solved!

Then the oil will be shipped by rail or by truck.

New problem created.

Forum Elite

PostPosted: Mon Oct 06, 2014 4:03 pm

We're heading into post-oil - and the first sources to fall will be the most costly.
Harper & Co. are very much like the dinosaurs who didn't know they were dead - but one had to watch out for the death throes, 'cause they will still kill ya.

RickW