Author Topic Options

CKA Uber
PostPosted: Mon Jan 26, 2015 4:00 pm

Title: One Canadian's Reflection On Sir John A. Macdonald's Legacy
Written By: JaredMilne
Date: Monday, January 19 at 15:16

January 11, 2015 marked the 200th anniversary of Sir John A. Macdonald's birthday. Given that we haven't really commemorated it yet on this forum, I thought that this would be a worthwhile occasion to reflect on Macdonald's legacy, the good and the bad, and how it has impacted us all as Canadians. As historian Will Ferguson has pointed out, without Macdonald there would be no Canada to begin with at all. His influence on Canada, for both the good and the bad, cannot be understated-Richard Gwyn aptly describes him as "the man that made us".
read more

All your news belong to ME! Whahaha I eat news!

Forum Elite

PostPosted: Mon Jan 26, 2015 4:00 pm

So the question might well be - was Sir John A. a "mover and shaker" or did it happen that he was at the "right place at the right time"? Could someone else have done what he did? Or more to the point, does it matter nearly 150 years later?

"Stay Calm, Be Brave, Wait for the Signs"
RickW

Forum Super Elite

PostPosted: Fri Feb 06, 2015 1:35 pm

Mover, shaker, nation-builder. No doubt in the right place at the right time. Yes, he was not very nice, to put it mildly, towards Aboriginals or Metis, but back in those days most world leaders who professed to be democratic were indeed bigoted. Not excusing these traits at all, but one must put it into the proper context of the times. It would be nice if we could say that Sir John A. was a fair, just, honest man all the way but of course we cannot. However, one cannot dismiss his shrewdness and political prowess. More-so than many of our modern Prime Ministers like Mulroney, Chretien, Martin,and Harper, Sir John A. had a vision, and was a doer. I guess I celebrate his role in building the country I love, but I can't wholly celebrate his blemished record.

Dave Ruston

Forum Elite

PostPosted: Fri Feb 13, 2015 10:30 am

A product of his times definitely. But talking about Sir John A. brings to mind the recent "incident" with our current PM secreting himself in a closet until it was safe to emerge. What would Sir John have done.....? It goes toward the mettle of the man.

"Stay Calm, Be Brave, Wait for the Signs"
RickW