Author Topic Options

Forum Elite

GROUP_AVATAR
PostPosted: Sun Jan 15, 2006 6:41 am

<strong>Written By:</strong> Milton
<strong>Date:</strong> 2006-01-15 05:41:00
<a href="/article/54103642-predictions-of-an-economic-hit-man">Article Link</a>

In December 2005, Evo Morales buried seven challengers -- taking 54 percent of the vote -- in what the New York Times referred to as "the most important election since Bolivia's transition from dictatorship to democracy a generation ago." His platform appealed to the poor, including farmers whose main source of income, coca plants, caused them to suffer brutal treatment at the hands of U.S. drug agents. Although U.S. politicians and the media have denounced coca because it is used to produce cocaine, the fact is that it is extremely important in the Andes as a legal remedy for altitude sickness, digestive problems and other illnesses. <p> Evo Morales is the latest in a long list of democratically elected Latin American presidents whose primary appeal is their opposition to U.S., IMF and World Bank policies that favor foreign corporations with reputations for exploiting natural resources and local labor. Bolivia joins the ranks of previously pro-American countries that have recently turned against Washington and Wall Street, such as Argentina, Brazil, Chile, Ecuador, Uruguay and Venezuela. <p> You can read the rest of the story <a href="http://www.alternet.org/story/30681">here</a> [Proofreader's note: this article was edited for spelling and typos on January 15, 2006]

Forum Junkie
PostPosted: Sun Jan 15, 2006 8:33 am

This United States administration has based its economic plan and future on invasions , bombs and bullets and will soon have lost what little respect they do have with the rest of the world.

China , India are the new economies, the youth of today are more educated , wordly a see the world as being flat.

Then compound this with countries such as Argentina, Brazil, Chile, Ecuador, Uruguay and Venezuela, who no longer are going to be abused by the corporate hands of America and we are heading towards a FREE World.

It will be the youth of today who will bring about peace and stability, they might not fix all, but they will manage to unite all countries in a way will respect one another like never before.

So my prediction of the economic hit man is that America is about to pay a very high for all of the bad economic scams they have enforce upon all nations, like Haiti , Cuba and many other helpless poor countries. What goes around , comes around to those who oppressed others.

So Canada better watch her back, because the good old Bush Administration would stick us in a country minute and find little problem in treating us like Cuba or a nation that they see as holding resourses which they consider their's.

---
Good government is not a party government

"When the government fears the people, there is liberty. When the people fear the government, there is tyranny." - Thomas Jefferson

Forum Elite

PostPosted: Sun Jan 15, 2006 9:54 am

What I consider most ironic in the constant demand, especially by so called "conservatives", that Canada must have bigger and better armed forces for defending the country, when Canada is for sale to the same multinationals these countries are trying to kick out.

Why should any other country bother to invade us, unless we have a drastic political change one day, when their banks can "create" the imaginary capital to take over, with the tacit approval of our elected politicians ?

The present Trade Minister, Emerson, and all his predecessors from either the Liberal, or Conservative sides, have been and are constantly yammering that "Canada needs more welcome foreign investment". In other words, more freshly created, worthless, imaginary capital to take over and strip our resources and peoples.

One of these days some bright politician may just figure out that foreign investment is a fraud, because when we have resources, we have capital to develop those resources for the benefit of our own peoples and not for the benefit of so called "investors", in other countries, thousands of miles away.

No country, where foreign investment flows in has ever needed any, because if they did need it, it wouldn't come.

Harper is now promising lower capital gains taxes, if those gains are reinvested within 6 months. Of course, he doesn't say that, by present laws, investing in foreign countries is accounted the same as domestic investments, and so far I haven't seen any demands that the reinvestment must be made in Canada.

These elections are beginning to look more like : "Corruption out, corruption in".

Ed Deak, Big Lake, BC.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 15, 2006 10:33 am

Excellent, i was going to mention this also but forgot, also i was looking for the right catagory on this site, but here it is, this is what america is, or should i say What the banking business is all about for the americans....and canada is right there and believe me the Liberals and the Conservatives are right into this also<br />
<br />
<br />
Economic "Hit Man" For Neocons Tells All About Corporate World Takeover<br />
<br />
<br />
<a href="http://www.politicalsoundoff.com/home/economic-hit-man-for-neocons-tells-all-about-corporate-world-takeover.html">http://www.politicalsoundoff.com/home/economic-hit-man-for-neocons-tells-all-about-corporate-world-takeover.html</a>

Forum Junkie
PostPosted: Sun Jan 15, 2006 10:55 am

My dear friend Ed:

I could not agree with you more... corruption out and corruption in . This is why I refuse to support a political structure that lacks accountability and a system that was set up to insure "the oligarchs" like Trade Minister, Emerson and his kind remain in control.

Why should we bother voting if we are not getting an accountable and responsible "governing" structure in Ottawa or in our Provincial legislatures, the serve all of its citizens?

If the system needs to be reformed and the very people we elect do not have the will to invite change, then how will my voting for something that is broken, every get fix, when those in position of power refuse to listen to me? It will not get fixed.. thus I cannot vote.

Canadian political parties are in big trouble and have lost their flavor with the people. Those who were loyal are dead or passing on... and we baby boomers have lost faith and trust in this system because we have grown to understand that elections do not enforce accountability in the party system.

The children of we baby boomers are highly educated and wordly, they see and hear all about the ills of the present political system from "us" and know that political parties are not the answer to a secure society.

The only people who are hanging onto this vile party structure are those who are being sucked in to believing democracy is founded only because of the party system and those who are telling this lie are the "only ones who know full well, they are the ones who will benefit.

We have watched political parties abuse our thrust once they become the "governing " agent of the people, and I might add a very small percentage of the people too.

The time has come to rethink Canada's political direction and we must limit the power of these political parties , we must find a way to maximize our candidates and we must consider looking at our candidates as stickily independent agents of the constituents.

By not voting you are not giving up a democratic right, you are franchising your right if you do not and can not support a political system that has not the best interest of Canada in its heart, but instead you will be calling for change.

By not voting you are protesting and associating with millions of Canadians who have enough of corruption, lies and cheating within a very poorly run political structure, which mainly has been looking out for the few.

Democracy Watch's Duff Conacher see and write about the problems we have within our political system and that is where it end. I would like to see Duff branch out with Democracy Watch into all provinces, get the people involved in working on rebuilding a new "governing "system .. with rules of accountability that meet the standards of the Canadian citizen , we must not leave it up to the political parties to set in place the rules or we will end up with them once again controlling the destiny of the party , instead of the country and its people.

Please think about the fact.. less than 2% of 20 million voters belong to political parties and a very small portion of that 2% who belong to all parties, will win in this election and "they" get to control all of Canada in the name of the winning party. Please do not tell me that "you" can call this democracy!

By not voting you will deny them of a $1.75 and you will not be supporting a system that works for only a "few" and I might add that few are a very few even within in the winning political party. It will not be the peasent party worker either.. it will be the David Emersons and his kind who will profit from this sick system... you on the other hand will pay for it.

---

"When the government fears the people, there is liberty. When the people fear the government, there is tyranny." - Thomas Jefferson

Forum Elite

PostPosted: Sun Jan 15, 2006 2:18 pm

Well, Wayne, I'm going to vote, because that's the only way to register opposition to the present system. If you don't vote, or ruin your ballot, nobody takes notice, it will only register in the non voting percentages and the special interest sectors will get stronger.

I joined the NDP in 1997, when they were the only party opposing the MAI. They also opposed the FTA and the NAFTA, which means a lot to me. Now, they're vacillating and although, many times I have to hold my nose, by and large they're the least offensive. As they don't have a chance to form government, they'll at least oppose the lords of the universe in many ways. Like Layton's success to have $4.6 billion be given back to the Canadian people, instead to multinational crooks in tax deductions.

Here, in the Cariboo, we had a couple of useless, seatwarmer BC Lib, in reality Reform, MLAs for years, but we got rid of them last May and replaced them with a couple of hard working NDP MLAs, who are shown even in the right wing papers all the time, working for the local people. One of them came in with 1 vote majority on the first count. Ultimately both won with paper thin numbers, so, if we hadn't voted, we may still have the bums sitting there, clapping their hands for Campbell when he sells off more of BC to some carpetbaggers. Like Harper and Martin are planning to do with the whole of Canada.

I won't tell anybody what to do, but what we need is the strongest opposition. Although, in our riding, we hardly have any hope to replace the present Reform holdover, by the appropriate name of Dick Harris, at last we can register our opposition to him by cutting down his majority.Who knows....? We can always hope for miracles.

I'll enclose my last column, on this subject, in the Gold River "Record" in my next posting.

Ed Deak.

Forum Elite

PostPosted: Sun Jan 15, 2006 2:25 pm

My last column in the Gold River "Record"
============================================================

Fiat lux # 156 January 6, 2006

Politics are the art of selling denials to logic. If political ideologues and brainwashed economists could remember simple physical laws, they could eliminate most of the poverty, crimes and wars that fill our lives and history books.

Now, while the federal government demands blackouts on early election results, fearing that they may influence people's votes, our media is full of polling results on the Parties and leaders. Why is this permitted, when the results of the last day are forbidden ? People should always know where their votes will go and shouldn't need polling, or wasteful election campaigns with clowns trying to outbid each other. In a real democracy, election campaigns shouldn't last more than a week, if that.

According to present polls Stephen Harper's Conservatives could form a government. God help us ! I could never imagine that after Mulroney , his clone could be given the time of day by the voters, but it looks like the Harper bandwagon is rolling for a “change of direction”. The fashionable buzzwords of the ignorant, we now hear all the time.

The two things I was hoping for from these elections were to hear of Harper's resignation as Party leader the morning after, and getting rid of our useless, seatwarmer Reform MP remnant, by the name of Dick Harris. He's been around for a long time around Prince George, but foisted only for the second time on the Cariboo and, wonder of wonders, the good, solid union towns gave him a 3,000 majority.

As our rural ridings are being depopulated, because big cities are the most profitable places for big business, we've lost our Cariboo-Chilcotin riding and were lumped in with Prince George, about three hours drive from our place. The riding is the size of many European countries, just about impossible to cross by land in one day. But, I suppose, if people want to see their MP, they should move to a large city.

Of course, having a useless Reform MP, or whatever that sorry bunch call themselves today, is no news for us, as we had one ever since Preston Manning darkened the political horizons of Canada. His name was Philip Mayfield, an ex-United Church minister on stress leave when he was first elected on the suggestion of the Great Leader Manning. Philip couldn't face the stress of the Church accepting gay ministers, so he became an MP, where he could sit around and had no stress to cope with.

Mayfield was known as the “invisible MP”, as his only contribution to the local and national scene was a warm seat in the House of Commons. If and when he decided to occupy it. And the good, unionist voters loved it. The last time around he was the first MP declared elected in BC, with a record of 51 percent of the votes, where the winner usually got around 37, or so percent. He was interviewed on CBC and asked why he was called the “Invisible MP” and he had no idea, but that was OK for the voters.

Very few people have heard of the MAI, Multinational Agreement on Investment, fight of 1997. It was a treaty negotiated between the 29 OECD countries, including Canada, under Trade Ministers John Manley and later, Sergio Marchi. The MAI would have removed virtually all democratic decision making powers from elected governments and handed them over to corporate dictatorship for the maximization of profits. Human lives and democracy have to move aside, when the ever increasing profit demands of major corporations are at stake.

I first heard of the MAI in January 1997, on the ecological economics list of the University of Colorado. At first nobody could believe that such a criminal act against democracy was possible, but it was and still is. The then already finalized document was to be signed by the participant countries in May 1997, but the text was leaked in Paris in December '96 and public opposition took off like a wildfire.

Shocked by the uproar, the politicians decided to postpone the signing by a year and in the meantime “sell” the treaty to their respective countries. Well, they tried and fell flat on their faces. Finally, the French government got cold feet and, fearing a revolution, backed out, which killed the treaty. At least for a time being, because since then the text was adopted by the WTO and it is now included in every so called “free trade” baloney, showing, how much those fraudulent treaties, like the NAFTA, have to do with real trade. But the MAI was the first negotiated international treaty in history killed by public opinion, thanks to our computers.

In Canada, only the NDP showed opposition to the MAI, the rest were drooling over the prospect of corporate governance and Marchi was desperately repeating the magic words of the Colonel: “Try it , you'll like it !” Like we're trying the NAFTA and, of course, the WTO, where Marchi now is Canada's envoy, as reward for his services.

I had the 375 pages of the treaty in my computer by May '97 and waited for our good Reform MP, Mayfield to make some noise, but he remained silent on the subject . Then , sometime in October, I heard that MPs had no copies. Yet, the Chretien Liberals were ready to sign it, with the enthusiastic support of Reform, so I wrote to Mayfield, asking for his opinion on the MAI, offering to transmit the whole bundle for his perusal.

Weeks later I received a letter from a hack in Manning's office, thanking me for “contacting Mr. Manning”, etc. political doubletalk and whitewash. Well, I wasn't interested in Manning's opinions, but that was typical of that pathetic group, as it is still typical under Harper, with MPs elected for the purpose of cheering for and kowtowing to every word the leader says.

I find it most peculiar that some veterans, so proud of having fought for Canada and democracy, are now voting for politicians determined to sell this wonderful country off to “deep integration” into the USA.

Forum Junkie
PostPosted: Sun Jan 15, 2006 4:55 pm

If people just want to register that they went through the process and have their name stricken off the list, they can destroy their ballot , but to vote for a system of corruption and one that lies .. then that just supporting a small group of dictators.

Not voting send a real message to the upper establishment, it tells them you do not support their corrupt party system and it is time to change.

This election will be one of the lowest turn outs ever and only because they understand who this present system works for and they know it is not them.

Say yes to political reform by not voting, like so many Canadian s will do in this election.

---

Forum Elite

GROUP_AVATAR
PostPosted: Sun Jan 15, 2006 6:51 pm

They wouldn't report it as anything other than apathy. They won't stop what they are doing unless we take their marbles away. One marble we can take away is by voting for any party but the Conliberals.

Of course the polls show the Conliberals in the lead, they are biased. The media are trying to sell the Conliberals as two seperate parties and if enough people don't vote or spoil their ballots the Conliberals stand a good chance of ruining the country for another four years.

To the person above who didn't know what category to put the article in, don't worry about categories. Use your intuition, it is better to speak out than remain silent.

Good comments Ed and Wayne and Anon. I voted for the NDP last week as the only party in my riding that occasionaly reflects my views on the issues of the day. I would have voted for the Canadian Action Party but they have no candidate in my riding.

I urge everybody to vote the ignorant criminally negligent Conliberals out of office by voting for any other party. Send a real message to the ruling class. If we don't bushwhack them, Bush will whack us!

Cut them off at the real polling stations.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 15, 2006 7:01 pm

Excellent post.

It's time for Canada to shift to the left, leaving the USA
as the lone bastion of right-wing stupidity, surrounded
and cornered by 1000's of countries who are to their
left fiscally, and more Libertarian socially.

Republicans are indeed a dying breed.But in the USA,
with the help of Pro-Bush corporations
who design and program the electronic
voting machines, they can still
fix their elections.

Land of the free ? With rigged elections and
2.5 million prisoners ? Bush-Nazi watching
and tracking all dissent, tracing all
criticisms of his administration, LOL !!!!!!

Forum Junkie
PostPosted: Sun Jan 15, 2006 7:19 pm

This is not about right wing or left wing .. this is about voting in a political party who has less than 2% of the vote, why would anyone in their right mind or who had a mind vote in a dictatorship?

It time that you look at this system and saw it for what it really is and who it really serves. Government is made up of more white collar criminals now than every before.. we are dumbed down to think that this is a democratic process, when in fact we are giving them what they want every time we vote.

Why hold up this political system when even each political party points out, one another faults, like their lies, corruption and lack of accountability.. why would anyone want such an evil system?

Do not vote.. help say your country from those who have been abusing your trust and the power you give them. Fight for a new reformed political system.. join in with millions of Canadians who will not vote in this election.

If you want to improve the environment, get better health care and see your tax dollars spent of our public infrastructure, then do not vote, if you do you will be supporting a very wasteful system.

---

PostPosted: Sun Jan 15, 2006 7:43 pm

"Not voting send a real message to the upper establishment, it tells them you do not support their corrupt party system and it is time to change."

And what makes you think they will want to change????????

Forum Junkie
PostPosted: Sun Jan 15, 2006 9:24 pm

They do not want to change, that the problem my friend . As long as we keep voting in their system they will not, but when we stop voting , stop working for these political parties and stop funding them, they will have to change.

When ever have you read about any dictatorship government willing to step aside and wish for a honest , accountable and responsible governing system? No my friend if you want change you must make it happen and the only way is to join the millions of Canadians who will not vote in this election because it is sick of this kind of a political system. Who in their right mind want to continue to live under the hand of a party dictatorship?

We hear about what Stephen Harper will do to us if he is elected, we know how the Liberal Party treat we citizens and we are told to fear the New Democratic Party, we are told to fear the Bloc party because they want to take this country apart.
Well the bottom line is all this fear is about what a party will do to us and if these parties are that scary then why support them, when they are so dangerous.

So join the millions who will not vote and protect Canada from these a very nasty system.

---

PostPosted: Mon Jan 16, 2006 12:19 am

You are an apathetic, cynical destructionist.By not<br />
voting, you leave the control reigns<br />
entirely in the hands of other individuals<br />
who choose to do policy research, pick the<br />
candidate who most represents them, and....<br />
<br />
<br />
<br />
...VOTE !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!<br />
<br />
<br />
The system is imperfect.... but proportional representation<br />
is probable, and the Greens, NDP's, CAP and independant<br />
candidates offer viable alternatives to the 2 hyped<br />
dinosauric monopoly of corporate/authoritarian<br />
CONS and corporate LIBS.But since you see it <br />
according to black & white ('either the system is entirely good or entirely bad') absolutism, which totally neglects<br />
the human concept of *MEASUREMENT* , you won't<br />
get up off yer ass.<br />
<br />
Again, by refusing to vote, you are handing over<br />
the voting power reigns to others, and by eliminating<br />
your individual voting power, you are HANDING that<br />
power to individuals you don't even know.<br />
<br />
So after the election results are in... your cynical, apathetic complaining remains impotent.You have let others<br />
decide your fate and political environment, and you<br />
are entirely at their mercy.<br />
<br />
<br />
BTW, it's not just right vs. left, it's also<br />
authoritarian vs. libertarian - compare GW Bush<br />
with Nader, compare Harper with Layton.If Harper<br />
gets in, it means many Canadians dying in Bush-Wacko's oil<br />
war, increased poverty rates (USA is like Mexico with 20% child poverty, semi-socialist western europe is 2-12%), a hardline socially restrictive agenda, Pro-seperatism,<br />
higher homicide rates, insane incarceration rates,<br />
more dependance on polluting industries, polarization,<br />
corporatization, intolerance, religion fused politics,<br />
etc.<br />
<br />
If you abstain from voting, you are actually FACILITATING the Pro-Harper trend in the polls.So by abstaining, you<br />
are being PRO-HARPER by default.<br />
<br />
So if you WANT to see Bush-Wacko lite in power, don't vote.<br />
If you DON'T want to see Bush-Lite in power, go and<br />
vote Liberal, NDP, Green, CAP or independant.<br />
<br />
BTW, here is a very good site, the antidote to<br />
political apathy.<br />
<br />
<a href="http://www.politicalcompass.org">http://www.politicalcompass.org</a><br />
<br />
Take the test Wayne, and see which party your<br />
personal beliefs are closest to, then vote.<br />
The party system isn't perfect, but it's not<br />
completely evil either.The evidence of<br />
that statement, is that as BAD as the<br />
cynics in Canada, Spain, USA, Finland<br />
and Australia think it is, it's really<br />
MUCH better than in some of the Non-democracies<br />
in the world.Our living conditions, standard<br />
of living, life expectancy and freedoms<br />
prove this.Some folks in the Sudan, or<br />
North Korea would view your abstaining<br />
apathy and rancid cynicism of the<br />
entirely evil "party system" as<br />
out to lunch and ignorant of<br />
what a truly evil system is.<br />
<br />
<br />
<br />
<br />
<br />

PostPosted: Mon Jan 16, 2006 12:29 am

Take the test, go and vote.

It's that simple.

By choosing apathetic abstinence, you are actually
facilitaing Harper's momentum.So by not voting, you
are helping to elect Harper..... by default.
There are 1000's of people heading to Wayne's
local voting station, and Wayne is letting
THEM decide HIS social and economic environment.
And he has obliterated his own input into
the outcome by adhering to absolute cynical
apathy.