Author Topic Options

PostPosted: Sun Jan 22, 2006 5:33 pm

<strong>Written By:</strong> Anonymous
<strong>Date:</strong> 2006-01-22 16:33:49
<a href="/article/163349447-so-who-are-you-gonna-vote-for">Article Link</a>

And yet, despite my misgivings about their current incarnation, I feel compelled to vote Green...

(Sigh)

What to do?

I am hoping to stimulate some late-night, last-minute discussion by posting this thread from another board which is frequented by some articulate and well-intentioned Canadians...

I can only hope that the Vive staff are manning their computers and will publish this post in time for feedback.

Happy voting Canada - I feel confident that if everyone VOTED, we'd get the government we deserve.

Check out this thread please - lots of links are to be found there (ignore the given troll population please) <a href="http://www.gnn.tv/threads/12093/Canada_votes_tomorrow_Jan_23">http://www.gnn.tv/threads/12093/Canada_votes_tomorrow_Jan_23</a>

[Proofreader's note: this article was edited for spelling and typos on January 24, 2006]

Forum Junkie
PostPosted: Mon Jan 23, 2006 8:27 am

NO ONE ! I will not support this system until they reform it, until it better reflects a balance representation of Canada.

---
Good government is not a party government

"When the government fears the people, there is liberty. When the people fear the government, there is tyranny." - Thomas Jefferson

Forum Super Elite

PostPosted: Mon Jan 23, 2006 8:32 am

I might just write Tommy Douglas` name on the ballot and put an X beside it. With no CAP candidate in my riding, I don`t know what else to do.

---
Dave Ruston

Dave Ruston

Forum Junkie

PostPosted: Mon Jan 23, 2006 9:13 am

Vote Green Dave - call your candidate today and ask them if they support all that CAP does - you may be presently surprised.

Greens support abrogation/re-write of NAFTA
Greens support monetary reform
Greens support Fair Trade
Greens support electoral reform
Greens don't support further harmonization
Greens are non-violent and do not support wars of aggression otherwise known as preemptive war without cause

It was easy for me to go from CAP VP to being a member of the Greens as the Greens cover everything CAP does and more.

So if you want to vote CAP, and don't have one in your riding, call your local Green candidate and ask them for yourselves where they stand. It's not too late!

---
If there was ever a time for Canadians to become pushy - now is the time - for time is running out on this nation called Canada.

If there was ever a time for Canadians to become pushy - now is the time - for time is running out on this nation called Canada.

Forum Junkie
PostPosted: Mon Jan 23, 2006 9:31 am

Well Dave you will have expressed yourself, I have my way of expressing my displeasure and that is not to show. I am hearing on the radio this morning here in Halifax , that Ottawa might be looking at forced voting. <br />
<br />
My god this thing they call democracy is taking on a new face here in Canada , Ottawa now collects $1.75 which will go to each party based on the number of people who vite for them. <br />
<br />
So what we have here is once again tax payers being forced to pay for every vote they cast. Everyday that goes by , Ottawa , big brother is not governing for the people, it is setting up more laws to pick our pockets and dumb us down.<br />
<br />
According to Elections Canada you cannot deface the ballot and if you do you can be fined. Now how would they know Dave that you defaced your ballot. Well all ballots are numbered and before you receive that ballot they write down the number, tear off the stub and hand you the other half of that numbered ballot. <br />
<br />
<a href="http://www.elections.ca/content.asp?section=faq&document=faqvoting&lang=e&textonly=false#voting20">http://www.elections.ca/content.asp?section=faq&document=faqvoting&lang=e&textonly=false#voting20</a><br />
<br />
So if they know who spoiled the ballot and that person can be find, then we are being lied to when we are told our vote is a secret ballot. So much for this myth that we live in a democracy! <br />
<br />
<p>---<br>Good government is not a party government

"When the government fears the people, there is liberty. When the people fear the government, there is tyranny." - Thomas Jefferson

PostPosted: Mon Jan 23, 2006 9:38 am

oh Wayne - you have to vote...

it sucks all around - I feel your pain...

yet apathy (even in protest) is, in my opinion, the highest form of elitism.

Hold your nose and excercise your vote.

---
... just a friendly reminder to always take the internet less seriously than you take your gut!

"we must strive to be good ancestors" -nader

Forum Junkie
PostPosted: Mon Jan 23, 2006 10:01 am

Will not take part in a process that does not represent all Canadians. Fix / reform the system and I will consider it. But my dear this one I sit out, I will not support a political process that is not accountable within the common law of Canada which we the voters must live under and parties live above these law.

When I we the citizens are provided with the right to sue these parties, then we will be on our way to accountable government. I shall stay away and not vote. I still reserve the right to complain , because I am a TAX Payer in CANADA.

---

Forum Elite
PostPosted: Mon Jan 23, 2006 11:38 am

If you do not vote at all, then you are not represented at all. I would rather be represented in an unfair system than not be represented at all.

I was at the polling station at 7:30 this morning. I was very happy with how friendly everyone was, and I'm very glad to live in a democracy, even if it is flawed.

---
"Beer Garden'? You mean, a real garden of beer? I thought they only had those in Canada!" --Largo

Forum Junkie
PostPosted: Mon Jan 23, 2006 11:56 am

Listen Jess, I not only voted before , I worked for the Liberal Party and the NDP.. neither party represented me or my concerns, but both made dam sure they got my vote. The Liberal Party had more important people to represent , like the business community , the NDP well they cater to the labour movement, they did not represent me either.

I am a tax payer in Canada.. that give me the right to complain and speak out, voting is only giving the party system the power to abuse me , I am not playing that game any more.
I shall not vote and tuesday morning will be the same as Sunday morning , my life will not have changed, I will still be ignored, but they will not get $1.75 or my vote. They can go to hell, all political parties can go to hell. FIX THIS DAM SYSTEM AND BRING IN REFORM THAT WORK FOR ALL CANADIANS.

Jess you will not fix the problem through the party, the parties know it is not a good system , but it works for the party and that is all that matters.

---

PostPosted: Mon Jan 23, 2006 11:58 am

Whilst I dont agree with Waynes way of expressing his dissatifaction with our choices he is right about this....
"Well all ballots are numbered and before you receive that ballot they write down the number, tear off the stub and hand you the other half of that numbered ballot."
I just voted Green (no CAP avalable) and noticed that my ballot did indeed have a serial # on it, what goes on here? I too thought that voting was private and anonimous!

---
When you are up to your ass in alligators it is difficult to remember that the initial objective was to drain the swamp

When you are up to your ass in alligators it is difficult to remember that the initial objective was to drain the swamp

Forum Super Elite
PostPosted: Mon Jan 23, 2006 12:02 pm

Roy,when you say 'Greens support abrogation/re-write of NAFTA'?
What do you mean, rewriting is not the same as abrogating, we can't rewrite something that is flawed through and through, and I wish the Greens would come out and state this, but it seems that only some Candidates are saying it, the same with Monetary reform, I heard nothing on it from our Green candidate, so Dave I would contact all your candidates, Green and especially independant and see what they stand for.

---
If I stand for my country today...will my country be here to stand for me tomorrow?

"aaaah and the whisper of thousands of tiny voices became a mighty deafening roar and they called it 'freedom'!"' Canadians Acting Humanely at home & everywhere

Forum Elite
PostPosted: Mon Jan 23, 2006 12:28 pm

From the elections canada FAQ:

"Ballots are printed on special paper stock. The number of sheets sent to printers and returned by them is closely controlled.

The ballot paper is divided into three detachable parts: the ballot itself, the counterfoil and the stub, which stays attached to the ballot book. The stub and counterfoil have a matching serial number printed on them. The serial number is strictly a temporary control mechanism used to ensure that the ballot given to the elector is the same ballot that is given back to the deputy returning officer. The serial number does not appear on the ballot itself, and it is not registered anywhere with the voter’s name."

---
"Beer Garden'? You mean, a real garden of beer? I thought they only had those in Canada!" --Largo

PostPosted: Mon Jan 23, 2006 12:31 pm

I'm not 100% certain, but I know that every ballot needs to be accounted for (hence election act rule prohibiting us from eating them...he he). I suspect that the numbers are a way of counting - much like tickets at the beer garden... unless they write your ballot # beside your name - the process is anonymous.

---
... just a friendly reminder to always take the internet less seriously than you take your gut!

"we must strive to be good ancestors" -nader

Forum Junkie
PostPosted: Mon Jan 23, 2006 12:35 pm

Well Rural, you see we are living under a myth that we have a democratic process. I was told that after the count all ballots are held for a period of time. During this time there is an opening for ballots and vote to be cross referenced using the number on the ballot and ion the cross off sheet for what ever the purpose might be, I was never told why this was done.

But judging on how this system is structured and full of party hacks, one can only assume that our votes are being scrutinized and accessed by those hacks to see who is a party member or who those people are who voted for each party in that constituency.

So we are being watched by big brother and your ballot is not a secret, your ballot tells where you stand politically and they are free judge you, without you knowing. For all we know it could be use to punish a certain constituency based on who lives and vote in that ridding, or cast that ridding in a more favourable way. But never the less, we are being watch the tool are all in place, this is not a conspiracy it is a fact the ballots are numbered.

This is just one of many reason why I do not have faith in a system that is being governed by such a small miniority of Canadian citizens.

These parties are not true representations of anything that looks like a democracy and they are creator of bureaucracies and these bureaucrats are put in position of control, they are there to feed the party,and not for the good of the country.

I shall not vote in such a dirty system . Reforms are badly needed.

---

Forum Junkie
PostPosted: Mon Jan 23, 2006 12:42 pm

NancyMarie. If I mark on a ballot or disfigure that ballot, I can be fined up to $300.00. Keeping in mind that these are secret ballots, how do you suppose they would be able to track me down as being the villan?

Would they do it by a tracking dog or that number? Please lets face the facts, this is a system in need of repair. What we have here is not a denmocracy , we have a little elected dictatorship, headed by a few Oligarchs.

Do not try to fluff this off as not being an important matter or some conspiracy theory, it is a very important ethical, moral and democratic concern.

---