Author Topic Options

PostPosted: Mon Jun 26, 2006 3:25 pm

<strong>Written By:</strong> no1important
<strong>Date:</strong> 2006-06-26 15:25:00
<a href="/article/122545212-stephen-harpers-first-5-months-in-office">Article Link</a>

Then he appoints Michael Fortier to the Senate and makes him a cabinet minister for Public works - a move which seems to contradict Harper's pledge to reform the Senate by appointing only elected Senators as one of his first steps in the new Parliament.

Then low and behold Stevie does a George Bush impersonation by going to Afghanistan. He even goes sneaky like "W". What an act.

We then find out out Harper does not want to honour the historic "Kelowna Agreement" signed by Paul Martin and the Premiers.

We find out he hates the environment, does not want to honour Kyoto (He embarrassed Canada when Ambrose went to the UN to set as president of the UN Kyoto talks), gets rid of energuide (and leaving some pensioners in a pinch), don't show up at a major climate change conference at the University of Ottawa where hundreds of engineers, scientists, and policy-makers converged in Ottawa to discuss the issue of climate change, has an environment minister who hates the environment as much as he does, will not introduce a carbon tax.

His so called budget increased the tax rate for the poorest people, offered nothing meaningful to the first nations, decreased corporate taxes,eliminating corporate surtax, brought in a daycare programme that most people do not want, lowered gst by a point (which is stupid, should of lowered personnel tax rate instead).

However their were some good things in the budget like seniors income credit going up (still should of been more), you will be able to right of sports activities up to 500 for each child under 16 and 15.5% of the cost of your bus pass (it should of been 100%). Gave the military personnel a raise.

He tried to pull a Bush by not having press cover soldiers killed in Afghanistan and was criticized at a funeral by a soldiers father for that. The Peace Tower Flag will no longer be lowered to honour servicemen and women killed in the line of duty.

Still though there are signs of the the old "Reform Party" surfacing, like to have another vote on same sex marriage, the "Fetal Protection bill", raising the age of consent to 16.

He did get our mission to Afghanistan extended, targeting street racing, getting rid of the long gun registry (this will be close and may not pass) and yet he wastes tax payers money by taking a jet to the oilers hockey game, planning on spending 15 billion more for military but no mention of 3 Ice Breakers he promised for the Arctic, he also intends to arm border guards.

Basically I would give him a "D" grade. I also seen since he has been in office that Stephen Harper is a racist homophobic. He runs the government like he has a majority. Hopefully after the Liberals elect a new leader, the government will fall and we will have a Liberal minority with about 40 NDP seats and the NDP holding the balance of power.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 26, 2006 4:45 pm

Here's another interest commentary on Harper's first half year in office:<br />
<br />
<a href="http://www.niagarathisweek.com/na/edit/letter/story/3548984p-4100486c.html">http://www.niagarathisweek.com/na/edit/letter/story/3548984p-4100486c.html</a><br />
<br />
Well it has finally happened, terrorism in Canada is front page news. Every news outlet in the nation is broadcasting the terrorist's narrowly averted plans to attack various Canadian targets and even our own prime minister. I guess we shouldn't be too surprised at these sorts of events, remember we elected President Bush's "best friend" merely six months ago, which is plenty of time for these terrorist plans to get under way.<br />
<br />
...Continued...

Forum Super Elite

PostPosted: Mon Jun 26, 2006 8:49 pm

I hear they'ved found some large and inexplicable holes "the size of football fields" on the bottom of the Strait of Georgia that could be used for hiding terrorist stuff.......

---
RickW

"The purpose of economic competition is to eliminate competition"...." - John Kenneth Galbraith

You're just jealous because the voices only talk to me

PostPosted: Mon Jun 26, 2006 9:14 pm

I like your style, no1important, and wouldn't mind reading more of your
editorials. What do you think of the Liberal leadership campaign? Why in
the world is it taking them almost a year??

But also, where is that old spell-check guy who claims to be proof-
reading everything for errors, eh?

Vive Moderator

GROUP_AVATAR
PostPosted: Mon Jun 26, 2006 9:29 pm

"I also seen since he has been in office that Stephen Harper is a racist homophobic."

I suppose you'd like to provide us with some sort of evidence, such as a quote? A diagram scribbled on a napkin perhaps?

---
"I think it's important to always carry enough technology to restart civilization, should it be necessary." Mark Tilden

Take the Kama Sutra. How many people died from the Kama Sutra as opposed to the Bible? - Frank Zappa

Forum Super Elite
PostPosted: Mon Jun 26, 2006 9:34 pm

The proofreader, is a volunteer and he reads after the articles are posted, so it is a very good idea if submitters do their own checks for spelling, grammar etc. and only rely on our volunteer as a second check.

---
If I stand for my country today...will my country be here to stand for me tomorrow?

"aaaah and the whisper of thousands of tiny voices became a mighty deafening roar and they called it 'freedom'!"' Canadians Acting Humanely at home & everywhere