Author Topic Options

PostPosted: Fri May 26, 2006 2:50 pm

<strong>Written By:</strong> Robin Mathews
<strong>Date:</strong> 2006-05-26 14:50:24
<a href="/article/25024988-the-end-of-the-world-coming-to-your-neighbourhood-soon">Article Link</a>

The repeated use by the U.S.A. of so-called “depleted uranium” which poisons the earth for thousands of years is a single, simple example. We think the inhumanities of U.S. torture prisons are intolerable. But – just possibly – a few changes of U.S. government may erase the prisons. Such changes cannot erase the genetics-altering, cruel, destructiveness of depleted uranium sewn wherever the U.S. has chosen to name and fight its “enemies”: Iraq, Yugoslavia, Afghanistan….

No power on earth can erase depleted uranium pollution.

As I write, Stephen Harper’s government has struck down even the slender Kyoto Accord ecological reform program, and has done so on behalf of the large, private corporations it serves.

At a recent conference on ecology, sustainability, and art in Vancouver, I was impressed by how many average, concerned people know that what I have written here is true. I was equally impressed by the number who did not want to challenge government or private corporations in order to bring the matter in Canada to sharp focus and intense public discussion.

That situation could be a matter for wonder in this “democratic” country. But it really isn’t, because the Canadian population is propagandized, brain-washed, indoctrinated “24/7”, as the saying goes. And it is brain-washed to stay silent and to accept the ravage of community, nature, and foreign “enemies” on behalf of the greed and power of Private Corporations and the governments that serve them.

Canadians, it seems, are locked in a dilemma (as the conference showed). They believe the planet is threatened. They believe there is not much time until destruction will become irreversible. They know key forces at work in the destruction are our own governments and Private Corporations (both Canadian and other corporations in Canada). But Canadians have been propagandized, brain-washed, indoctrinated 24/7 not to challenge openly, publicly, and “in the streets” Canadian governments and Private Corporations in Canada.

Two books recently published come at the problem of The End of The World from quite different vantages. One focusses on man in nature, revealing the primary role human beings have in the extinction of animals and plants, cultures, languages, and subcultures. The other painstakingly reveals a century-long build-up of exploitation and dehumanization which may well (literally) explode in planet-destroying violence.

Terry Glavin writes an enchanting book, Waiting For The Macaws, in 284 pages, as an adventure in story-telling, a tale of far travel and distant peoples, a subtle affirmation of human decency and determination, a plea for awareness about and action to reform the wholesale, increasing slaughter of life and the ecological damage perpetrated each minute: “24/7”. He does those things pointing few fingers directly at evil-doers. “We”, mostly, are doing it. “We” need to wake up, go into reverse, and change things. “We”.

Robert Fisk’s travel is through time, space, and human depravity. In his 1300 page book: The Great War for Civilization. The Conquest of the Middle East, he may not think he is writing about The End of The World. I choose to think he is. He presents a staggering build-up to a coming war that is potentially destructive of the planet. That unstated theme, for me, haunts his book.

What Fisk concentrates on is the human depravity of those fully aware of their actions or, at least, fully cooperating to have a place in the depravity chain. If you said to Robert Fisk: “Blessed are the innocent”, he might, like Terry Glavin, say: “There are no innocent”. But Fisk wouldn’t rest there. He would go on to say that though none are innocent, only some are seriously guilty. And it is with them Fisk is concerned. For they are bringing The End of The World closer and closer to your neighbourhood, now.

Both books are eminently readable. Both are packed with information. Both are “must” reads . One, I would say – Glavin’s – believes reasonable people can find a way and very well may do so. The other – Fisk’s – reaches past the idea of reasonable people to show how a hundred year history in the Middle East has brought the region to such repression, brutality, racism, and denial of identity that the explosion which will come there may bring the planet to its final days.

Both books – surprisingly – have a characteristic of great formal literary epics, what is called “the epic march past” of heroes or heroic things. But in Glavin’s and Fisk’s books (both in a way “dystopias”, the opposite of “utopias”) the march past is of the erased, the extinguished, the perversely crippled, the wilfully destroyed.

In Glavin’s book, repeatedly, he lists the recently extinguished lives in nature: birds, animals, plants, flowers, languages, small-group peoples. In Fisk’s book, repeatedly, he walks through hospital wards in the Middle East, over battle fields, and through communities to show the results of the human depravity of those who are fully aware of their actions, intending to kill and maim infants, children, women, men – all human life called “the enemy”, all human life obstructing total, demonic power.

Terry Glavin chooses not to have us focus on the pre-eminently guilty who are in the shadows of the world he uncovers for us. Robert Fisk shows no such deference, which explains the large title of his large book. No one should over-simplify Fisk’s gigantic work. To do so would be a great and pretentious insult. For Fisk is one of those human beings who cannot dull his outrage and indignation at the bottomless depravity and brutality he reports almost as a damnation of human character.

Nonetheless, it may be fair to say his book tells the unregenerate tale of capitalist, imperialist British (“Western”) greed and brutality followed by the capitalist, imperialist U.S. (“Western”) greed and brutality operating to quell the populations of the Middle East and to suck blood and oil from them without compassion, justice, or humanity.

Responses which say Middle Eastern despots don’t need outside help are – in a serious measure – irrelevant. That is because behind every despotic regime, every brutal government, every apparent “independent” move of Middle Eastern powers, the British and now the U.S. have been major forces. Saddam Hussein provides a perfect illustration. No one can erase his record of brutal, rapacious cruelty and repression. But during a time when he was vicious in power and using mustard gas against Iranians, he was a U.S. favourite, receiving huge shipments of arms by its management. He was, as well, receiving armaments from many other countries because no force really disciplines the armaments trade.

Tell Iraq citizens that the U.S. is not deeply immersed in the long-term desecration of Iraq’s significant place as a highly educated, sophisticated and healthy society. Iraq citizens will laugh in your face. Whatever they want in Iraq, they want the U.S. out and would be happy to see it brought to its knees with its clone/ally Israel.

Robert Fisk uses painstaking care to record the absolute looting and destruction (while U.S. occupiers looked on) not only of key Iraq libraries and museums but also of highly sophisticated institutions and ministries necessary to the functioning of Iraq as a modern and productive society.

The hundred year history of lies and brutality has created a condition in which many, many responsible people in Afghanistan, Iran, Iraq, Palestine, Algeria, Saudi Arabia, Kuwait, Lebanon, Egypt, Jordan, Syria – just for instance – have decided there must be dramatic change.

Many have decided the dramatic change can only come with a basic organizing belief based in the Quran – or in some association of the Quranic peoples – and a parallel rejection of “the West” and “the Great Satan” (the U.S.A.). They have decided the occupation of Palestine by Israel must end, that nuclear equivalence must be achieved, and that genuine independence and self-respect for the Arab, Muslim, Middle Eastern peoples must be re-gained.

In the face of the “capitalist imperialists” lusting for oil, influence, and domination those things may well mean “The End of The World” in a devastating war which will make life on the planet – as we know it – impossible.

If we want to know how that can happen, we have to face all that the “western” governments and media don’t tell their populations – and that Robert Fisk writes down to try to reach us.

For Canadians, the briefest illustration of the realities of Afghanistan will stand as an indication of what I mean. In Afghanistan Canadians are fighting and dying, journalists are fudging and lying, and the Stephen Harper government is working for U.S. ("Western") capitalist imperialism.

The British tried to conquer Afghanistan more than once in the nineteenth century for imperialist reasons. They didn’t do well. But they did install British “influence” to hold off Russian aspirations. The “Second Afghan War” was fought in 1879. Then Britain agreed to its borders in 1893. For some years Afghanistan had relative peace, unity, economic development, and relative independence under British eyes. But power relations shifted and in 1979, Russia invaded Afghanistan for imperial reasons. The pretext was to support a marxist government under siege. But that was a false pretext since the Russians had intentions in the region. They had built a huge tunnel roadway – for imperial reasons – that led to Pakistan and, presumably, the Indian Ocean.

Fisk writes of the Russian/Afghan War that “we few journalists … were witness to the start of a fearful tragedy, one that would last more than a quarter of a century and would cost at least a million and a half innocent lives, a war that would eventually reach out and strike at the heart, not of Russia, but of the U.S.A.” (p. 48) If he were truly prophetic Fisk might just have to add “and also at the heart of Canada”.

First, as a sop to the demented George Bush when Canada refused to join the illegitimate invasion of Iraq, Jean Chretien agreed to contribute Canadian troops to “the War on Terror” being fought by the U.S.A. in Afghanistan. That terrible mistake by Chretien shoved the foot of the Canadian Bush supporters into the door of Afghanistan.

Now the Stephen Harper government has chosen to be a part of the U.S. army in Afghanistan. Let us not fool ourselves for a second. Going, now, under the banner of NATO is not to work with a neutral ombudsman force. NATO is a badly disguised instrument of U.S. policy (and has always been so). Canadian forces moving from under the banner of the U.S. to a place under the banner of NATO in Afghanistan are moving from working for the U.S. directly to working for the U.S. in ugly disguise.

When with enormous U.S. aid to militant (and fundamentalist) Muslim fighters, the U.S.S.R. was forced from Afghanistan, some of the militant Muslims (the Taliban) took power, took independence, and took on themselves a simplistic, stark, and repressive kind of rule. But the rule was not all bad. Afghans, at least, were governing Afghanistan. Internal in-fighting broke out (to make Osama bin Laden leave for a time). The huge opium trade was nearly eradicated – a trade with hateful effects all over the world. With U.S. “liberation”, Afghanistan has again become the world leader in opium production and sales. Few in “the West” want to talk about that result of the U.S. war.

The U.S. began to negotiate with the Taliban for a pipeline through the country. They got it when the U.S. – having “defeated” the Taliban – planted Hamid Karzai, a Union Oil Company of California employee, as President of Afghanistan.

But surely, you say, that is not why the U.S. brutally and illegally invaded Afghanistan. Of course not. It did so, remember, to catch Osama bin Laden, who organized the strike on the New York Trade Towers. The U.S. didn’t catch bin Laden, but it did, incidentally “conquer” (?) Afghanistan, plant a puppet ruler there, get an okay for its pipeline, and establish a state of permanent war against the Afghan people.

As Robert Fisk writes: “It was the Israeli newspaper Ma’ariv which shrewdly noted that ’if one looks at the map of the big American bases created [in Afghanistan], one is struck by the fact that they are completely identical to the route of the projected pipeline to the Indian Ocean’. By 2005, Afghanistan was exporting more opium than it had ever produced before”. (p. 1281) The opium is being produced by the warlord allies of the U.S., the bringer of democracy to Afghanistan.

The war in Afghanistan is increasingly a U.S. imperialist war against the Afghan people. It is increasingly both a cause of and a powder-keg-to-be in the massive war to come. The Stephen Harper government has chosen to be a servant of the U.S. in that war.

At a basic, even lyrical level, Terry Glavin gives evidence that Canada is doing almost nothing in the battle to save the ecology of the planet. Nor, may it be said, is it a leader in peaceful solutions to global conflicts. Robert Fisk provides clear evidence that the British and U.S. imperial powers have created a war against the people of the Middle East which already uses nuclear weapons against innocent populations there. Canadian governments – especially under Stephen Harper – are endorsing that war.

In Afghanistan Canadian hands are dripping with blood and Canadians are killing “warriors” in a conflict in which the Canadian presence will disgrace Canada forever. Stephen Harper rejoices in being a fawning servant of the U.S. murder machine. He is inviting violent retaliation on Canadian soil. And when it comes, he will try to use it as a means to strip Canadians of democratic rights. When a significant assault by Afghan forces kills a large number of Canadians, Harper will, equally, use the occasion to try to spend more on military growth. Afghanistan is being set up to serve as the Canadian 9/11.

If he were to hear the Robert Fisk statement that war “represents the total failure of the human spirit”, Harper would be at a loss, unable to understand what Fisk means, because Harper is a determined boot-licker of the mendacious Bush circle.

It certainly isn’t Robert Fisk’s job to say Canadians must go into the streets and into all the legislatures of the land to demand Canada leave Afghanistan. But it is, I suppose, my job, and I say it. Not for principle alone should Canadians openly and publicly resist Canadian participation in the war against the Afghan people. But they should do so in a hope Canada might help hold off The End of The World instead of joining the rush forward to hasten its arrival.

[Proofreader's note: this article was edited for spelling and typos on May 28, 2006]

PostPosted: Fri May 26, 2006 5:05 pm

"... If he were to hear the Robert Fisk statement that war “represents the total failure of the human spirit”, Harper would be at a loss, unable to understand what Fisk means, because Harper is a determined boot-licker of the mendacious Bush circle...."

thanks for the chuckle Robin - sadly I realize that I find it funny because I believe it to be true.

Is it alright with you if I repost this piece elsewhere?

---
... just a friendly reminder to always take the internet less seriously than you take your gut!

"we must strive to be good ancestors" -nader

Forum Super Elite

PostPosted: Fri May 26, 2006 6:25 pm

In the film "The Corporation", one of those CEO's declared that everything should be owned. This "end of the World" is simply the major corporations way of depleting the world of oxygen, by killing the major oxygen producing organisms......then we will all have to buy O-2 to stay alive.

---
RickW

You're just jealous because the voices only talk to me

PostPosted: Fri May 26, 2006 6:26 pm

When I was young it was not very obvious to me but as I aged I could not help but now notice that in spite of all the technical progress our own society was going downhill morall, and very fast, and even in the Churches now as well. <br />
<br />
Think of it also that we now have had decades and decades of lying crooked politicians in Canada as well.. and they seem to be getting worse too. <br />
<br />
(2 Tim 3:1 KJV) This know also, that in the last days perilous times shall come. 2 For men shall be lovers of their own selves, covetous, boasters, proud, blasphemers, disobedient to parents, unthankful, unholy, 3 Without natural affection, trucebreakers, false accusers, incontinent, fierce, despisers of those that are good, 4 Traitors, heady, highminded, lovers of pleasures more than lovers of God; 5 Having a form of godliness, but denying the power thereof: from such turn away. 6 For of this sort are they which creep into houses, and lead captive silly women laden with sins, led away with divers lusts, 7 Ever learning, and never able to come to the knowledge of the truth. 8 Now as Jannes and Jambres withstood Moses, so do these also resist the truth: men of corrupt minds, reprobate concerning the faith. 9 But they shall proceed no further: for their folly shall be manifest unto all men, as theirs also was.<br />
<br />
But I had discovered there are effective solutions still to all of this too. Appropriate punishment in a real jail for the crime committed. It works. I also have done prison visitation and I have seen the shock of persons arrested for their crimes such as attempted murder, and they now had plenty of time to think about the wrong they did. I have seen many a pastor and their wives as well tremble ins hock when their wrong doings were publicly exposed and they were dismissed from their jobs also next. and we now also can see the undeniable shock of Stephen Harper when his sins are now also been publicly exposed too.<br />
<br />
HEY HAD STEPHEN HARPER READ WHAT I HAD WRITTEN TO AND SENT ALSO TO HIM ABOUT PAUL MARTIN'S OWN MISTAKE IN DEALING WITH THE NEWS MEDIA EVEN A LONG TIME AGO <a href="http://groups.msn.com/CanadaToday/partiality.msnw">http://groups.msn.com/CanadaToday/partiality.msnw</a> HE STEPHEN HARPER COULD HAVE AVOIDED A LOT OF TROUBLE. DISCRIMINATION AND PARTIALITY BY ANY CIVIL AND PUBLIC SERVANTS, POLITICIANS IS ALSO REALLY UNACCEPTABLE AND MOST PEOPLE INWARDLY WOULD AGREE WITH THIS TRUTH UNDENIABLY TOO. <br />
<br />
"One but cannot note that too many of the news media, public itself now does not support or believe in the personal credibility of the right Honourable Paul Martin PM.. At the beginning of this new year Paul Martin the new PM was told specifically by the some of the members of the Canadian News media that him showing partiality to any others was clearly unacceptable, that his honeymoon with the news media was over, and that he could not win the next election without the support of the News media as well. He is now seeing the results the hard way.. anyone showing partiality to their past liberal friends, overlooking their wrong doings will not be accepted now too.. as the low support of the liberals polls NOW do show as well. Time certainly to act on the good behalf of all Canadians.<br />
<br />
But it is still immoral, please do note that too, unethical for any elected Minister of the government to play politics, to pick and chose as to who she or him will help, to show partiality, favorites in doing their jobs. <br />
<br />
And any persons who shows partiality should be immediately exposed, dismissed from their offices, their subordinates included now as well. Simple AND still serious too.<br />
<br />
All Pastors too, all appointed Ministers, federally and provincially are to equally look after the good welfare of all, all Canadians, not matter who they are, rich or poor, Liberals or not. That include also the Justice, Health. Immigration Ministers now as well. (James 2 ) 8 You shall love your neighbour as yourself, ye do well: 9 But if you show false respect to any person, you are committing wrong, sin, and are condemned by the law as transgressors. (James 2 ) 2 For if there come into your presence a man with a gold ring, in costly apparel, and there come in also a poor man in vile clothing; 3 And you still do show respect to him that weareth the costly clothing, and you say unto him, Sit here in a good place; and say to the poor, Stand over there, or sit int he corner: 4 Are you not then partial in your acts, and have are become bad judges with evil thoughts? <br />
<br />
The young, the Sick, handicapped, Poor persons do need special help<br />
<br />
(Deu 15:11 KJV) For the poor shall never cease out of the land: therefore I command thee, saying, Thou shalt open thine hand wide unto thy brother, to thy poor, and to thy needy, in thy land. (Gal 2:10 KJV) Only they would that we should remember the poor; the same which I also was forward to do. (Eph 4:28 KJV) Let him that stole steal no more: but rather let him labour, working with his hands the thing which is good, that he may have to give to him that needeth.<br />
<br />
Public exposure and prosecution of the guilty does serve as the best deterrent next to all as well. It wroks better also if you start right at the top. In Canada we also do wrongfully tend to like to show false partiality to the rich, politicians, the professionals such as business persons, pastors, lawyers, doctors, nurse, cops, realtors, accountants .. well I rightfully do not do this... not even when they do steal, lie, cheat, break the laws too. Never the less The past abuse of the Canadian tax payers money has been an abuse that has brought down Brian Mulroney and the Progressive Conservative Party forever now too... Canadian History has many recent History of short lived Prime Ministers too like Kim Campbell, Joe Clark, John Turner too. The right and only approach here too is both to get to the bottom of it but also to insure all of the past bad guys are punished without any partiality.. evidentiary justice being also carried out is the issue here now too." Thus we too can next chose whom we want to expose and why as well to all too..<br />
<br />
(1 Tim 5:20 KJV) Them that sin rebuke before all, that others also may fear. 21 I charge thee before God, and the Lord Jesus Christ, and the elect angels, that thou observe these things without preferring one before another, doing nothing by partiality. 22 Lay hands suddenly on no man, neither be partaker of other men's sins: keep thyself pure.

PostPosted: Fri May 26, 2006 8:14 pm

Good piece and Fisk's book is 'must read'.

Haven't read Glavin's, but I do recommend "The Pig Who Sang to the Moon : The Emotional World of Farm Animals " by Masson. It's a great book as he tries to interpret the world from the point of view of animals.

It's humbling and that's is really what is needed--humility and NOT another western rally cry for 'change'.

We have to intellectually, morally and spiritually step down and start to listen.

I would have preferred less partisanship in the article as the questions Matthews raises go beyond political parties and in all honesty what is suggested really goes beyond the self-delusion of western democracy, western authority and western angst. We no longer have the right to judge--we had that right and that was contained in the notion of what we could become...now we know what we have become.

Suffice it to say, that the coming hell of 21th century will make the hell of the 20th century look like food poisoning at a church picnic...

Forum Super Elite

PostPosted: Fri May 26, 2006 11:46 pm

Robin, if Kyoto is slender as you acknowledge, who cares???

China and the U.S. are the two biggest polluters and are not signatories. If they and Russia and India don't do much, then what smaller nations do will make little difference.

---
"True nations are united by blood and soil, language, literature, history, faith, tradition and memory". -

-Patrick J. Buchanan

"True nations are united by blood and soil, language, literature, history, faith, tradition and memory". -

-Patrick J. Buchanan

PostPosted: Sat May 27, 2006 6:52 am

Have you read Thomas Malthus much?

He wasn't right then, and he isn't right now. You need to relax buddy. Besides, nobody gets out of this world alive.

Forum Super Elite

PostPosted: Sat May 27, 2006 8:51 am

"...in 1798, Malthus made the famous prediction that population would outrun food supply, leading to a decrease in food per person"<br />
<br />
<a href="http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Thomas_Malthus">http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Thomas_Malthus</a><br />
<br />
<br />
Seems to me he's spot on. Latest 'revelations' say we're running out of food. No point in arguing that there's lots of food, just not in the right places. Tell a starving (wo)man that.....<p>---<br>RickW

Forum Elite

PostPosted: Sat May 27, 2006 4:36 pm

Considering the short term "quarterly" mindset of corporate boards in general, can it really be all that much of a shock that the men on those boards can't see the long term damage their policies are doing?

Seeing as a large number of politicians are also from this particular demographic pool, it then follows that any shortsightedness on their part is completely natural as well.

The fact that most of the members of this particular caste are also insulated from the direct results of their decisions makes it quite unlikely they will grasp the full scope of what they have unleashed on the rest of us.

They live behind walls, they reign from behind walls, and their decisions affect everyone outside those walls.

As long as their caste is not subject to the consequence of their actions they will not care about finding solutions we can all live with.

Why?

Because the way things are now, they don't have to.

---
"and the knowledge they fear is a weapon to be used against them"

"The Weapon" - Rush

Most people would prefer a comforting lie over a painful truth.

PostPosted: Sat May 27, 2006 6:16 pm

Careful what you cut and paste. The Wikipedia article says there are many ways in which he has been discredited. The majority of scholars agree, that's what I was taught in school as well. There are many flaws in his simple theories. What does a common priest from the 1800's know about anthropology and economics anyways?

So thanks, you just discredited yourself for me.

Besides, even if you were right? So what? Get out and enjoy life, because it may not be so fun in the future, and it cannot be stopped, so you say. Go get what's yours, and stop spending so much time making a fool of yourself on the internet.

Forum Elite

GROUP_AVATAR
PostPosted: Sat May 27, 2006 7:06 pm

It is not over until it is over. I will do what I can do until I can't do anymore. I will not quit fighting our fascist overlords and their senile minions and I damn sure won't be taking any advice from them. They are going deeper into hell and I intend to remind them of their whereabouts 24/7.

---

"Unthinking respect for authority is the greatest enemy of truth."
(Albert Einstein)

Forum Super Elite

PostPosted: Sat May 27, 2006 8:29 pm

I was being very careful about what I cut & paste. Malthus said wew'd run out of food. He, being from the "upper classes" thought that it was the poor who would run out of food. He was wrong in that the rich needed the poor to grow the food for the rich, so the rich would run out of food last. No different than today. Those who run out of food last always think there is lots......until there isn't. However, the poor, who think the rich have hordes of food, will rise up and just take it. Watch China.......(but you needn't call yourself a fool when it dawns on you, we already know it)

---
RickW

PostPosted: Sat May 27, 2006 9:52 pm

I guess you're so convinced you're right you never even bothered to read the parts of that entry that explained how his beliefs are competely discredited and arcahic.

And China is doing very well at population control, that has been fact for quite a long time now.

You make no sense. None.

I don't think that reality and you are very good friends.

Forum Super Elite

PostPosted: Sun May 28, 2006 8:48 am

I think that you are incapable of projecting....one of those who can only see what is in front of face, and think that is how it's always been and will always be.....too bad

China has had way too many people for decades now, and is not handling it well. look behind the facade....or not. It's your loss.

Malthus rules. And it doesn't have eto be food. Can (like rabits) be disease, et al. And with we humans, it can be wars and rumours of wars.

But nothing lasts. And THAT my friend, is immutable.

---
RickW

Forum Super Elite

PostPosted: Sun May 28, 2006 8:55 am

<blockquote>Considering the short term "quarterly" mindset of corporate boards in general, can it really be all that much of a shock that the men on those boards can't see the long term damage their policies are doing? Seeing as a large number of politicians are also from this particular demographic pool, it then follows that any shortsightedness on their part is completely natural as well.</blockquote> And as the comment in THE CORPORATION movie says: "externalize costs". Trouble is, these costs are "outside the wall", and many cannot or will not see them. Bad for the bottom line....... <p>---<br>RickW