Author Topic Options

CKA Uber
PostPosted: Wed Jun 03, 2015 9:57 am

Title: The government�s increasing interference in people�s lives.
Written By: JaredMilne
Date: Wednesday, May 27 at 17:47
Some people criticize what they view as the government’s increasing interference in people’s lives. They say the government should get out of people’s way, and stop meddling in things that it doesn’t have business regulating. A few of these critics say that things were better in earlier eras, when the nanny state wasn’t trying to run every part of people’s lives.
What most people don’t realize is that we simply had a different kind of nanny state back then.
read more

All your news belong to ME! Whahaha I eat news!

Forum Super Elite

PostPosted: Wed Jun 03, 2015 9:57 am

Well now this is the trick, isn't it? The government using the power and resources of the state to try to improve the lives as well as health and safety of its citizens, all the while allowing people to be free. it is possible to have social programs and have a government not be so interfering and tyrannical as they are now.

Dave Ruston

Forum Elite

PostPosted: Sun Jun 14, 2015 10:17 am

Sounds like those "some people" want us all to be "mountain men", whose loathing of civilization leads them to seek solace in the "emptiness" of far-flung places. Yet at the same time, these selfsame "mountain men" must remain among the trappings they so loathe so they may conduct business that these "some people" believe to be the backbone of commerce and civilization. This dichotomy must cause cluster headaches to those who hang out on the right side of the ideological spectrum.......

"Stay Calm, Be Brave, Wait for the Signs"
RickW

CKA Moderator
PostPosted: Mon Jun 15, 2015 6:15 am

RickW RickW:
Sounds like those "some people" want us all to be "mountain men", whose loathing of civilization leads them to seek solace in the "emptiness" of far-flung places. Yet at the same time, these selfsame "mountain men" must remain among the trappings they so loathe so they may conduct business that these "some people" believe to be the backbone of commerce and civilization. This dichotomy must cause cluster headaches to those who hang out on the right side of the ideological spectrum.......

You are back on your left/right scale, when libertarianism/authoritarianism is a different axis.

The social conservative in my says it's cheaper to not monitor me when I am doing nothing wrong. And it violates fewer of my Charter rights.

Forum Elite

PostPosted: Tue Jun 16, 2015 7:52 am

Do you then notify the appropriate government agency when you are doing nothing wrong, so that they might shift their resources to those who are? BTW, I haven't yet met anyone on "the left" who wanted to be a mountain man......

RickW

CKA Moderator
PostPosted: Tue Jun 16, 2015 8:02 am

RickW RickW:
Do you then notify the appropriate government agency when you are doing nothing wrong, so that they might shift their resources to those who are? BTW, I haven't yet met anyone on "the left" who wanted to be a mountain man......

Having a department such as that would also be a waste of government resources. Not monitoring every citizen should be the default, unless warrants are obtained. And that's actually what the Charter says, we have a right to our privacy, and we have a right against unreasonable search and seizure.

Do you wish to give up these rights as I have explained them? Simply post all your personal information, web history and credit card information, along with the numbers of every person you've called and the times you called and disconnect for the last month.

After all, it's just metadata or public information, and you are doing nothing wrong, correct? :evil:

And don't knock the Grizzly Adams lifestyle until you've tried it! ;)

Forum Elite

PostPosted: Thu Jun 18, 2015 4:22 pm

With some 600,000 laws on the books, it's kinda difficult "to do nothing wrong". I doubt (with the exception of yourself?) that there is any Canuck who hasn't broken the law. But then again, one only breaks the law when one gets caught at it, and metadata brings us one step closer to the getting caught thing.
I have tried the Grizzly Adams shtick. Have to admit, being a "mountain man" isn't for me. Only lasted four years or thereabouts.

RickW

CKA Moderator
PostPosted: Mon Jun 22, 2015 6:43 am

RickW RickW:
With some 600,000 laws on the books, it's kinda difficult "to do nothing wrong". I doubt (with the exception of yourself?) that there is any Canuck who hasn't broken the law. But then again, one only breaks the law when one gets caught at it, and metadata brings us one step closer to the getting caught thing.

Bad laws are meant to be broken. And one critical part of 'justice' is the 'intent' to break the law. Constant monitoring with the hopes of catching someone accidentally breaking a law isn't 'justice' it's arbitrary punishment and unconstitutional.

Since you didn't post all of your information for all to read, I'm guessing that you don't wish to be subject to this arbitrary monitoring, you just want everyone else to be.

Forum Super Elite

PostPosted: Tue Jun 30, 2015 9:06 am

The more oppressive the state, the more numerous the laws.

Dave Ruston

Forum Elite

PostPosted: Sat Jul 04, 2015 8:15 am

Dr, C: "Since you didn't post all of your information for all to read, I'm guessing that you don't wish to be subject to this arbitrary monitoring, you just want everyone else to be."

I am not sure how you made this leap - but it should be quite plain throughout my history with Vive that I would prefer NO monitoring, Period.

RickW

CKA Moderator
PostPosted: Mon Jul 06, 2015 6:12 am

RickW RickW:
I am not sure how you made this leap - but it should be quite plain throughout my history with Vive that I would prefer NO monitoring, Period.

RickW RickW:

Because you seem to be advocating for Bigger Brother.

https://www.eff.org/deeplinks/2013/06/w ... ta-matters

Forum Elite

PostPosted: Mon Jul 06, 2015 5:34 pm

Because I mentioned a fact easy enough to look up, I am an advocate of repression? A pox on you, sir! You seem to confuse fact with fantasy (something I have long suspected - but didn't think you'd actually hand it to me on the proverbial plate).

RickW

CKA Moderator
PostPosted: Tue Jul 07, 2015 6:06 am

RickW RickW:
Because I mentioned a fact easy enough to look up, I am an advocate of repression?

You didn't mention a fact, you gave an opinion. That opinion states that metadata is responsible for crime reduction, an opinion not supported by any evidence beyond what Bigger Brother's propaganda whispers to you in the night.

My link shows you why your opinion is 180 degrees wrong. Metadata, besides being illegal and unconstitutional, provides no crime reduction benefits.