Author Topic Options

Forum Junkie

PostPosted: Tue Dec 07, 2004 2:00 pm

<strong>Written By:</strong> 4Canada
<strong>Date:</strong> 2004-12-07 13:00:00
<a href="/article/20024307-uncle-sam-has-his-own-gulag">Article Link</a>

full article:
<a href="http://www.canoe.ca/NewsStand/Columnists/Toronto/Eric_Margolis/2004/12/04/765847.html">http://www.canoe.ca/NewsStand/Columnists/Toronto/Eric_Margolis/2004/12/04/765847.html</a>

And submitted by:

Contributed by: tyrannyresponse

George Bush has said that the real history of his administration will be written 50 years from now. I wonder if it will include Gitmo.

Uncle Sam has his own gulag

Behaving like the Soviet secret police won\'t make America safer, Eric Margolis says.

By ERIC MARGOLIS

Excerpt:

According to a report leaked to the New York Times, the Swiss-based International Red Cross has accused the Bush administration for a second time of employing systematic, medically supervised torture against suspects being held at Guantanamo Bay, and at U.S.-run prisons in Iraq and Afghanistan.

The second Red Cross report was delivered to the White House last summer while it was trying to dismiss the Abu Ghraib prison torture horrors as the crimes of a few rogue jailers.

According to the report\'s allegations, many tortures perfected by the Cheka (Soviet secret police) -- notably beating, freezing, sensory disorientation, and sleep deprivation -- are now routinely being used by U.S. interrogators.

The Chekisti, however, did not usually inflict sexual humiliation. That technique, and hooding, were developed by Israeli psychologists to break resistance of Palestinian prisoners. Photos of sexual humiliation were used by Israeli security, and then by U.S. interrogators at Abu Ghraib, to blackmail Muslim prisoners into becoming informers.

All of these practices flagrantly violate the Geneva Conventions, international, and American law. The Pentagon and CIA gulags in Cuba, Iraq and Afghanistan have become a sort of Enron-style, off-the-books operation, immune from American law or Congressional oversight.

<a href="http://207.44.245.159/article7418.htm">http://207.44.245.159/article7418.htm</a>

PostPosted: Tue Dec 07, 2004 3:24 pm

There's torture, and then there's dropping bombs, is either excusable? The American public seems to think so. Otherwise they would have taken Bush and his buddies out of power by force.

Be ashamed at the torture and murder that you are responsible for America. Each and everyone of you that hasn't done one damn positive thing since 2000, you are racists, bigots, hustlers and terrorists, without even lifting a finger.

For those of you that are trying...well I commend you!

But you're obviously going to have to try harder.

Forum Junkie

PostPosted: Tue Dec 07, 2004 6:40 pm

For all you neocon trolls out there, Eric Margolis is a conservative, A REAL conservative, somone with values, not a nihilist mouthing cheap propaganda picked up on Fox or from the National Pest.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 07, 2004 6:47 pm

Anon above, I hope you are specifically calling the Fascist Republicans racists and bigots and not the citizens of the USA. They had nothing to do with the problems their evil government has brought to the world.

---
Alliance Atlantis films proudly presents...
Anakin Skywalker will fall and the Empire will rise May 2005.

"A person who walks in someone elses footprints leaves no footprints." Chinese Proverb

PostPosted: Tue Dec 07, 2004 9:04 pm

Real conservative, such as those found at <a href="http://www.batr.org">www.batr.org</a>

Forum Junkie

PostPosted: Wed Dec 08, 2004 6:16 am

I think for the most part, but he also raises the point that those who are doing nothing to stop it are accomplices and I think that's true for now. If the patriot act II comes to pass though, it may become a case of "we're too afraid to do anything to stop it". So they better stand up and fight for their country before it's too late.

---
Canada for Canadians

Everybody got to deviate from the norm

PostPosted: Wed Dec 08, 2004 7:13 am

"Evil government"? I didn't think the left believed in evil.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 08, 2004 7:29 am

One of the many offensive things about the left is the abuse of language. The Russian gulags had millions of prisoners, most of them innocent of any crime. They were put thetr because they belonged to a social class or ethnic group or were politically suspect. Many thousands died under cruel circumstances. The prisoners at Guantanamo are terrorists or enemy combatants. Holy warriors, as they would call themselves, whose only hope was to die in martyrdom and please themselves for the rest of eternity with the 72 virgins allotted to them by Allah. Their treatment is so bad they have put on an average of 20 pounds. The best of medical care, of course, as good as the national health service provides in the Land O' the North. When the Islamofacists get around to noticing Canada, if they ever do, I hope to see a tightening of the language used by our ill-educated northern friends on the left.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 08, 2004 7:53 am

Margolis would probably get beheaded by his Arabic in-laws if he didn't jump on the anti-American bandwagon. Why he still gets published mainstream when he is always wrong in his analysis of politics and makes outrageous claims is peculiar, guess he has friends in high places or something.

Forum Junkie

PostPosted: Wed Dec 08, 2004 8:50 am

Must I repeat myself, little troll, evidently you can't or won't read: <br />
Eric Margolis is a conservative, A REAL conservative, somone with values, not a nihilist mouthing cheap propaganda picked up on Fox or from the National Pest. And indeed, why don't you check <a href="http://www.batr.org">www.batr.org</a> ? Afraid? <br />

PostPosted: Wed Dec 08, 2004 10:21 am

Not like any kind of conservative I've ever come across. Or did you and he get together and redefine the term?

PostPosted: Wed Dec 08, 2004 12:09 pm

Their treatment is so bad they have put on an average of 20 pounds. <p>Just like a veal calf locked in <em>its</em> cage...

Vive Moderator

GROUP_AVATAR
PostPosted: Wed Dec 08, 2004 12:17 pm

'Conservative' in the US has changed it's meaning, just like 'terrorist' and 'liberal'.

They have other meanings in Canadian Politics.

---
"If you must kill a man, it costs you nothing to be polite about it." Winston Churchill

Take the Kama Sutra. How many people died from the Kama Sutra as opposed to the Bible? - Frank Zappa

PostPosted: Wed Dec 08, 2004 12:36 pm

"They have other meanings in Canadian Politics."

Barely. With Stephen Harper and his crew.

I agree with the anon the beginning. Apathy is no excuse. Every American is responsible because their elected gov't is acting on their behalf.

As for Conservative, Liberal, Democrat, and Republican, I would like to ask what ever happened to the individual. If you are anti war, you are a leftist commie. If you are pro war you are a neocon fascist. What ever happened to personal opinion.

Any one who is not judging parties based on policy, and only on name, really should realise the impact they are having on real democracy. I am tired of hearing about Conservatives, who are talking about real conservatives, if your party line has changed, but is still calling itself Conservative, do you change parties or your opinion? It would seem to me that in the US, you change your opinion.

---
When an invasion can bring a country its freedom then unconsciousness is true happiness.

When an invasion can bring a country its freedom then unconsciousness is true happiness.

Vive Moderator

GROUP_AVATAR
PostPosted: Wed Dec 08, 2004 1:04 pm

Most of the prisoners in guantanamo are there souly for the 'bounty' the US offered for Taliban soldiers. Some guy walks up to a US soldier and points at some guy he doesn't like and says "Taliban! Where's my money?". It's in all the papers. Or, don't they run those stories on Fox?

So Guantanamo is a gulag, in every sense of the word.

With all the people arrested after 9/11 and locked up since then without charges or the benefit of a lawyer, and all the 'Taliban' taken and put in a concentration camp in the hot sun in Cuba - let me ask you this: How many people have actually been convicted of anything? Give you a hint - one. And they were charged with an outstanding warrant for fraud, if I recall.

Some nice justice system you have there!!

---
"If you must kill a man, it costs you nothing to be polite about it." Winston Churchill

Take the Kama Sutra. How many people died from the Kama Sutra as opposed to the Bible? - Frank Zappa