Author Topic Options

PostPosted: Wed Dec 20, 2006 12:13 pm

<strong>Written By:</strong> Patm
<strong>Date:</strong> 2006-12-20 11:13:18
<a href="/article/181318511-us-labour-practices-in-iraq">Article Link</a>

Then seven months into the job, he quit.

Not one of the five different US embassy sites he had worked on around the world compared to the mess he describes. Armenia, Bulgaria, Angola, Cameroon and Cambodia all had their share of dictators, violence and economic disruption, but the companies building the embassies were always fair and professional, he says. The Kuwait-based company building the $592-million Baghdad project is the exception. Brutal and inhumane, he says “I’ve never seen a project more fucked up. Every US labor law was broken.”

In the resignation letter last June, Owen told First Kuwaiti and US State Department officials that his managers beat their construction workers, demonstrated little regard for worker safety, and routinely breached security.

<a href="http://www.corpwatch.org/article.php?id=14173&printsafe=1">http://www.corpwatch.org/article.php?id=14173&printsafe=1</a>

[Proofreader's note: this article was edited for spelling and typos on December 21, 2006]

Forum Elite

PostPosted: Fri Dec 22, 2006 2:20 pm

Of course, this is coming to Canada. Just wait what comes with the NAU and GATS that will free up the importation of "experts".

Bu then, nobody will do anything, as the "rules based trade" will permit anything for the corporate mafia to become "more efficient, competitive and productive", which in neoclassical terminology means the lowest wages, worst conditions and biggest profits.

Ed Deak.

Forum Super Elite

PostPosted: Sat Dec 23, 2006 12:16 am

Reminds me that I e-mailed the NDP to see what their "take" was on NAU. That was 3 weeks ago -- no response.

I wonder what bribe/hold "they" have that the so-called opposition parties cannot or will not open their mouths.....?

---
"No kingdom could be ruled without lies - - for lies are the things we use to build our reputations."........
King Arthur

You're just jealous because the voices only talk to me