Author Topic Options

PostPosted: Mon Aug 15, 2005 6:03 pm

<strong>Written By:</strong> Patm
<strong>Date:</strong> 2005-08-15 18:03:00
<a href="/article/220323551-warming-hits-tipping-point">Article Link</a>

Dr Kirpotin told the magazine the situation was an "ecological landslide that is probably irreversible and is undoubtedly connected to climatic warming." He added that the thaw had probably begun in the past three or four years.

Full story at
<a href="http://www.guardian.co.uk/climatechange/story/0,12374,1546824,00.html">http://www.guardian.co.uk/climatechange/story/0,12374,1546824,00.html</a>

PostPosted: Mon Aug 15, 2005 7:51 pm

if all that methane is released i wonder how it would compare to the amount of CO2 that has been released due to pollution, etc. maybe we overestimate the effects of human activity? not that we should just treat the planet as if it's an infinite resource & garbage can, but isn't it possible that the earth cools & heats on its own schedule and humans wouldn't affect it much?

---
"George Bush has declared the war on terrorism to be the cause of his generation. The cause of Canadian sovereignty will be ours." - John Godfrey, MP for Don Va

George Bush has declared the war on terrorism to be the cause of his generation. The cause of Canadian sovereignty will be ours. -- John Godfrey, MP for Don Valley West

PostPosted: Mon Aug 15, 2005 9:17 pm

'Unprecedented' changes - that's only if your knowledge of climate history goes back just thirty years. Climate has always changed, it always will change, and anybody who is trying to play god by stopping these changes will fail.

The atmosphere and all the factors affecting it are extremely complex, today's computer models of climate are still in their infancy, but even when they finally do become more accurate - it's still unlikely that they will predict future climate changes with very much accuracy.

Climate may some day reach a 'Tipping point' in that the planet will become inhospitable for humanity but it's unlikely any of us will be around to see it...

PostPosted: Mon Aug 15, 2005 11:41 pm

>>Climate may some day reach a 'Tipping point' in that the planet will become inhospitable for humanity but it's unlikely any of us will be around to see it...<<

Unfortunately, that day is a lot closer than we'd like to think, though given the current state of world affairs, you still might be right about nobody being around to watch.

Personally, I feel it's "game over" already. The human race may survive the changes, likely with massive losses, but the world will never again be as hospitable to us as it has been over the last 10,000 years.

Forum Super Elite
PostPosted: Mon Aug 15, 2005 11:59 pm

I recognize the world is constantly changing, the planet is made to re-energize itself, clean itself, and the fact that we are putting so many pollutants into the atmosphere certainly cannot help. I don't know if this is the doom we hear about, but I certainly can't believe that what we are contributing is a good thing.

I wonder if anyone has an opinion on the benefits of shutting down the huge polluters, beside reducing greenhouse gas emissions, would there be a benefit to implementing something like we do domestically with watering. Many communities allow people to water on alternate days, to concerve water. Would a program that allowed company x to run on a shorter work week, and alternate with company y next week, say or something like that be beneficial. We do car pooling for workers, why not try slowing down production in manufacturing goods etc? I know the profit margin etc, is a factor, but that aside,does anyone think that could work to improve air quality etc? Or am I totally out to lunch on this one?

---
If I stand for my country today...will my country be here to stand for me tomorrow?

"aaaah and the whisper of thousands of tiny voices became a mighty deafening roar and they called it 'freedom'!"' Canadians Acting Humanely at home & everywhere

PostPosted: Tue Aug 16, 2005 4:24 am

Some people say I'm a dreamer, but I'm not the only one...

If we are to save humanity from our own worst excesses, it is time we begin to shift our paradime of excessive consumption and waste. It may already be too late, but keep the dream alive.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 16, 2005 5:23 am

Why not put even a little bit of confidence in what the overwhelming majority of climate change scientists are suggesting, not just from computer models but also from empirical evidence like the Siberian thaw discussed in the article?

How about even a fraction of the confidence that's placed in the scientists who say "GMOs are safe and won't harm the environment"?

It's way more difficult to come to terms with science that is unprofitable.

Forum Elite

PostPosted: Tue Aug 16, 2005 8:58 am

If and when we start thinking about such disasters with a bit of logic, we must accept the fact that a certain amount of environmental damage, global warming, etc. is due to natural causes. However,when we look at the figures on how this whole mess has exploded in the past few years, it becomes obvious that the main causes are so called "human activities". In short, "wealth creating hi tech" replacing human labour and increasing resource conversion. The oil economy, automation, communting, air travel, etc.

The evolved purpose of ecologies is to slow down resource conversion and eliminate waste. This is what the millions of living species are about, all programmed to fulfill certain functions in the slowing down and waste eliminating process.
There's no such thing as "The survival of the fittest", because we don't know who, or what, the fittest are. When certain life forms outlived their useful function to the ecology, they're eliminated. This could easily happen to the human race. Ultimately, perhaps cockroaches prove to become the fittest and inherit the Earth.

The human race is the only life form without any logical purpose for its existence. This lack of purpose is accelerated by our species' talent to make ever increasing stupid, self destructive decisions and cloak them behind the excuses of religion and ideology.

If we want to find the main, human made reasons for these ecological disasters, we only have to pick up a textbook on neoclassical economics, the biggest crime wave and self destructive ideology in human history. Ed Deak, Big Lake, BC

Forum Super Elite

PostPosted: Tue Aug 16, 2005 11:14 am

Humans have no prupose for their existence? Oh please Ed. Also, I wouldn't group every human into "the human race." Some have accomplished much more than others.....

---
The midget, Bush, and that Rumsfield deserve only to be beaten with shoes by freedom loving people everywhere.

- Mohammed Saeed al-Sahhaf, The Iraqi Informat

"True nations are united by blood and soil, language, literature, history, faith, tradition and memory". -

-Patrick J. Buchanan

Forum Elite

PostPosted: Tue Aug 16, 2005 11:58 pm

OK Perturbed......We can point at every tree, every worm, every bird, every blade of grass and find their uses within ecological systems, slowing down resource use and eliminating waste, but exactly what is the purpose of the existence of the human race in general.

I'm not talking about the exceptions, the very few, who have made tremendous contributions to civilizations, but in general, what has the human race accomplished except perennial destruction of ecological systems, perennial wars, perennial ideologies claimed to be the wishes of the gods and abysmal stupidity in following abysmally stupid leaders ? Like right now, in front and centre, on TV, air and in print, so that everybody can admire and praise their asinine actions, shown even on this interactive blog. Ed Deak, Big Lake, BC.

Forum Junkie
PostPosted: Wed Aug 17, 2005 12:24 am

Right on Ed!
I remember reading some years ago how people say they support the enviroment but are not willing to do anything about it.Even the politicians said it would take a massive natural disaster to wake the public up.

X