CKA Forums
Login 
canadian forums
bottom

Canadian Forums

Author Topic Options
PostPosted: Fri Feb 13, 2004 7:05 am

As I am a relatively new guy I did'nt know if I should put this in entertainment or general. I guess entertainment as it is Conan. I am wondering after reading the paper if Quebec will make as much noise about Conan saying things about that province. Than Don Cherry did about his remarks about visors?
If not I can see the old double standard at work here.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 13, 2004 9:38 am

I though it was all pretty silly as I'm a Montrealer. As an english speaking Quebecor who's grown up here I find it very un-Canadian to be constantly bashing us like that. Over the years I'm convinced it's simply a form of jelousy and/or misunderstanding. Besides if you've ever watched Quebec television they do it all the time in thier own way so I guess it works both ways. I hope nothing is done or said as it's not worth the cheap shots.

Forum Addict
Forum Addict
PostPosted: Fri Feb 13, 2004 4:41 pm

I don't see why Quebec should complain. After all it's the Newfies who get it the worst! 8O

PostPosted: Fri Feb 13, 2004 5:06 pm

What's different between Newfie basing and Quebec bashing, in my experience, is that people don't actually mean it when they pick on the Newfies. People like Newfoundlanders. I haven't met anyone who doesn't think that most Atlantic Canadians (not to be confused with Maritimers!) are genuine, funny, friendly people.

A lot of people mean it when they disparage Quebec. It's too bad, really.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 13, 2004 5:17 pm

I agree with you Othello people seem to like Newfies better I have worked with a lot of them. Most of em are nuts :) but are a lot of fun. I have also worked with people from Quebec they are nice also but a bit more on the serious side than Newfies I think.
Anyways I was just reading the paper and ''CHUM'' issued an apology. For those remarks which I thought was in bad taste.
I am wondwering about something tho. What if we took a talk show to the states and dissed a state like Conan did to Quebec I wonder what if any would the repercusion would be would it make it all the way to the white house? just a thought

PostPosted: Fri Feb 13, 2004 5:59 pm

Rick Mercer has savaged unsuspecting Americans repeatedly - even UP TO the current resident of the White House!

The only trouble is few of them ever get to see it - and I have to wonder how many would get it, if they did.... :?

Last edited by nonrev on Fri Feb 13, 2004 11:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Forum Junkie
Forum Junkie
PostPosted: Fri Feb 13, 2004 6:25 pm

nonrev nonrev:
Dave Mercer has savaged unsuspecting Americans repeatedly - even UP TO the current resident of the White House!

The only trouble is few of them ever get to see it - and I have to wonder how many would get it, if they did.... :?

And he hits the nail on the head EXACTLY...good call nonrev.

Ever watched a Molson Commercial? Rick Mercer? Read this board? We constantly flog and stereotype Americans. I get a kick out of it. We pick on newfies, Quebecois, etc because they have unique traits that make them stand out.

If you can't laugh at yourself...as the saying goes. The PC world we are building for ourselves in these glorious lands of "free speech" are becoming painful.

m

CKA Moderator
CKA Moderator
PostPosted: Fri Feb 13, 2004 8:30 pm

schumy68 schumy68:
I though it was all pretty silly as I'm a Montrealer. As an english speaking Quebecor who's grown up here I find it very un-Canadian to be constantly bashing us like that. Over the years I'm convinced it's simply a form of jelousy and/or misunderstanding. Besides if you've ever watched Quebec television they do it all the time in thier own way so I guess it works both ways. I hope nothing is done or said as it's not worth the cheap shots.
Im an EX montrealer and I left cause I was tired of all the BS against the English and said F.U and moved back out west where the air is clean and the politics are funny

PostPosted: Fri Feb 13, 2004 8:31 pm

Judging by the lack of reaction in Quebec today (barely got mentioned on radio call-in shows) this appears to be a non-issue. As it should be.

CKA Moderator
CKA Moderator
PostPosted: Fri Feb 13, 2004 8:31 pm

Mukluk Mukluk:
nonrev nonrev:
Dave Mercer has savaged unsuspecting Americans repeatedly - even UP TO the current resident of the White House!

And he hits the nail on the head EXACTLY...good call nonrev.

Ever watched a Molson Commercial? Rick Mercer? Read this board? We constantly flog and stereotype Americans. I get a kick out of it. We pick on newfies, Quebecois, etc because they have unique traits that make them stand out.

If you can't laugh at yourself...as the saying goes. The PC world we are building for ourselves in these glorious lands of "free speech" are becoming painful.

m

Does any one remember the Prime Minister Poutine joke that Mercer pulled on Bush just before he was elected???

Last edited by RoyalHighlander on Fri Feb 13, 2004 8:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.

CKA Moderator
CKA Moderator
PostPosted: Fri Feb 13, 2004 8:44 pm

http://www.canadaka.net/cka/modules.php ... tit&lid=22
Go here to see all of them.. They are funny

http://www.canadaka.net/cka/modules.php ... load&cid=5

Forum Junkie
Forum Junkie
PostPosted: Fri Feb 13, 2004 8:59 pm

I have the whooooooooooooole show in mpeg format and love it. I watch it when I get homesick :)

I do have to admit, I have not seen the Conan show, so I commented on it based on what I have anecdotally here and there.

m

CKA Moderator
CKA Moderator
PostPosted: Fri Feb 13, 2004 9:22 pm

Mukluk Mukluk:
I have the whooooooooooooole show in mpeg format and love it. I watch it when I get homesick :)

I do have to admit, I have not seen the Conan show, so I commented on it based on what I have anecdotally here and there.

m

If ya have time to do so maybe down load the mpgs to our down load section so all can enjoy them?? Just a thought

PostPosted: Fri Feb 13, 2004 11:08 pm

Well, dont I feel like the bonehead? :oops:
Its RICK Mercer, not Dave..... Hey - I was in the middle of making tacos at the time, okay?

Besides, doesnt look like anyone else picked up on it...... :wink:

PostPosted: Sat Feb 14, 2004 4:32 am

mike2277 mike2277:
Judging by the lack of reaction in Quebec today (barely got mentioned on radio call-in shows) this appears to be a non-issue. As it should be.

As you said this seems to be a non issue. What I cant understand about this is why Cherry is being drawn and quartered because of his comments about europeans and the french hockey players. While Conan, i think made some very terrible comments and notthing really has been said about it.
If this should be a non issue shouldnt Cherrys remarks be a non issue also?