canadian forums
bottom

Canadian Forums

Author Topic Options
CKA Moderator
CKA Moderator
 Vancouver Canucks
PostPosted: Wed Aug 31, 2022 5:50 pm

This is GOT season 8 all over again. Well, the train wreak should be a fun watch anyway.

CKA Moderator
CKA Moderator
 Vancouver Canucks
PostPosted: Fri Sep 02, 2022 4:42 pm

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zHuk_1K ... L&index=19

Anyone seen this yet? Between this and She-Hulk I don't know which one I care less about.

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
 Calgary Flames
PostPosted: Fri Sep 02, 2022 6:08 pm

It wasn't Game of Thrones at it's height. But it was no where near as bad as any of these Gamergate types making these horrible YouTube videos said it would be. It has a lighter intensity to it, and need to because anything associated with Tolkien can't be involved with wholesale butchery, cruelty, or sexy time. The dread is lurking in the background but the average day-in-the-life isn't anything close to the misery it was for people in the GOT setting.

This is why you need to watch and make up your own mind and not listen at all to any of these self-appointed critics and arbiters of what is or isn't good. That's vital, considering the vast majority of these punks come across like dedicated followers of Roosh V or Andrew Tate in that they genuinely believe (assuming they even know anything in the slightest about the world Tolkien created, which I highly doubt almost all of them do), that Galadriel should have spent the entire 15000 years of her life doing nothing but playing the harp & weaving tapestries because "the serious stuff is for men only, honey". All these incels and internet scumbags exploiting the incels should all die on the spot given the damage they keep causing with their poisonous idiocy.

Rings of Power is basically not Tolkien but it's a very loving fan-fic by people who really love Tolkien. And that's good enough for me. The production values are absolutely spectacular, some of the best I've ever seen. And the acting/characterizations were mostly pretty decent too. Does it take liberties with what Tolkien wrote? Yeah, it sure does. Keep in mind though that Amazon was handcuffed by the licensing agreement they made with Tolkien Enterprise in that they are quite literally prohibited from mentioning any of the places and names of the First Age characters, locations, and events that proceeded the Second Age. Seriously, they are only allowed to mention Sauron, Morgoth, Silmarils, Feanor, & Valinor. They couldn't even use the name of Galadriel's brother Finrod in the script, that's how tightly controlled and restricted to the Second Age only they are.

Peter Jackson also massively violated the official Tolkien canon in each and every one of the LOTR and Hobbit films he made, which is something that maddened me greatly as the narrative from those books was clearly defined. I give ROP a lot more leeway because what Tolkien wrote of the Second Age was basically just a historical outline & tale of years. The actual characters and conversations and smaller events to fill up that age are just waiting there to be written. I do note also that those who seem the most pissed off at Rings of Power are also those most likely to either be wildly in love with the Jackson films or at a minimum give a full pass to all of Jackson's wild excesses/deletions/ridiculous inclusions. So, once again as per just about everything else that comes out in genre fiction when a book gets converted into a film or TV show, the loudest complaining is coming from the usual suspects who (oh so conveniently!) have successfully monetized their carefully manufactured "outrage" via YouTube channels. What a shock that someone out there is being a little bitch just because they're getting paid for it!

With that kind of entrepreneurial moxie these guys should really go for broke and start their own churches. That's where the big bucks in complaining for the purposes of making money & getting undeserved attention really waits for them.

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
PostPosted: Fri Sep 02, 2022 6:17 pm

LotR aside, seeing the irrational hate for She-Hulk is hilarious. A sign that you’re doing something right, is when you’ve triggered all the incels. It’s a light-hearted show based on a comic series that never took itself to seriously to begin with. And these fucking losers are having strokes over a post credit scene.

Like what you like and move on. I haven’t watched this new series yet, but I’ll reserve judgement till I do. And if I don’t like it I’m not going to a hate filled tirade on the internet. Some people have no fucking life and they HAVE to shit on everything because it’s the only thing that gives any sense of meaning to their sad little lives.

I am not a purist. The LotR trilogy was epic IMO, even in spite of the changes Peter Jackson made. I wasn’t as happy with the Hobbit trilogy so I didn’t watch past the first one. The minutiae of every characters backstory isn’t always relevant.

That said, I don’t want a Tolkien cinematic universe. The original trilogy was epic. The hobbit trilogy was unfortunate. I’ll reserve my judgement on this series but I know I don’t want LotR series coming out as hot and heavy Marvel movies/series.

Last edited by xerxes on Fri Sep 02, 2022 6:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
 Vancouver Canucks
PostPosted: Fri Sep 02, 2022 6:47 pm

I've enjoyed She-hulk. I had someone tell me they watched "part of the first episode" and had to turn it off. Yet when I asked what they didn't like, they didn't give me an answer.

Odd.

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
 Calgary Flames
PostPosted: Fri Sep 02, 2022 7:26 pm

One of the wads on FOX was bitching about She-Hulk. "Man hating!", blah blah blah. Given that Jen Walters said that all that made her angry was obnoxious shitty guys cat-calling and giving her a bad time in bars, all of which is perfectly reasonable and understandable IMO. Like, who wants or needs to put up with these types of macho cretins anyway? Fuck, I've detested those kinds of guys for most of my life too. All in all it clearly showed that it was just another daily talking point in the never-ending culture war these goofs have monetized and that the fuckstick making the comments hadn't even watched a single second of the show. It's just another repeat of the strategized pre-emptive hate of the same sort that got aimed at Bree Larson and the Captain Marvel movie for getting on the wrong side of the contingent of perpetual little bitch-boys.

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
PostPosted: Fri Sep 02, 2022 7:44 pm

Exactly. These are the same “manly men” who call themselves alphas but curl into the fetal position when there’s a female character who isn’t some naive waifu with doe eyes and medicine ball sized tits, but is actually assertive without a man beside her.

Fuck these people. And fuck those who give human filth like that a voice.

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
 Calgary Flames
PostPosted: Fri Sep 02, 2022 7:59 pm

I don't even want to think about what these types were saying about The Sandman. I quite enjoyed it but I can imagine that there was at least a hundred different things in that series from the casting alone that set the idiot squad off so much that they were frothing at the mouth like rabid dogs with mouths stuffed full of baking soda. I can also imagine that not even one of them ever bothered to read a single issue of The Sandman comic because it would have freaked them out too much. And that they only went off on the TV show simply because it's their designated role to do so in this unending & sub-moronic social war that everything gets trapped in now.

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
 Vancouver Canucks
PostPosted: Fri Sep 02, 2022 8:52 pm

xerxes xerxes:
Exactly. These are the same “manly men” who call themselves alphas but curl into the fetal position when there’s a female character who isn’t some naive waifu with doe eyes and medicine ball sized tits, but is actually assertive without a man beside her.

Fuck these people. And fuck those who give human filth like that a voice.

My favourite part is how self-aware the show is. The third episode has a whole bit after She-hulk is chosen to be Emil Blonsky's lawyer, and it has like a little comicbook esque montage of dudes online saying "why does it always have to be a woman" type of shit.

Made me laugh out loud.

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
 Vancouver Canucks
PostPosted: Fri Sep 02, 2022 8:53 pm

The Sandman show was fucking awesome. I loved it and can't wait for more.

CKA Moderator
CKA Moderator
 Vancouver Canucks
PostPosted: Sat Sep 03, 2022 5:28 pm

Loved Sandman. People said he was very wooden in his acting but that was the character.

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
 Calgary Flames
PostPosted: Sat Sep 03, 2022 6:12 pm

Not wooden as such. More of a combination of imperious and petulant, a king who doesn't forgive when certain things occur to him or his creations. Desire is the fun one as it gives people what they want without hesitation just to enjoy watching the disaster that always follows when someone gains what they never should have wanted.