bottom

Canadian Forums

Author Topic Options
CKA Super Elite
CKA Super Elite
 Boston Bruins
PostPosted: Sat Jan 06, 2007 9:40 am

Little Mosque on the Prarie

Little Mosque On The Prairie is an unabashedly comedic look at a small Muslim community interacting with the denizens of a little prairie town. The sitcom reveals that although different, we are all surprisingly similar when it comes to family, love, the generation gaps and our attempts to balance our secular and religious lives while trying to understand those of others in the community.

Watch the clips.

"Little Mosque on the Prarie" = Big Laughs?

TORONTO, Ontario (Hollywood Reporter) -- "Little Mosque on the Prairie," a Canadian sitcom that debuts Tuesday, January 9, depicts immigrant Muslims bumping up against white locals in rural Saskatchewan.

Zarqa Nawaz, creator and writer of the groundbreaking show, insists she's an equal-opportunity satirist taking dead-aim at both Muslim and Canadian stereotypes in a post-September 11 world.

"I expect both groups will be wondering if the other finds the show funny," says Nawaz.

There are predictable jokes about Muslim beliefs clashing with Canadian traditions. In one scene, a father wearing a kufi, or a knitted cap worn by devout Muslims, protests that his Canadian-born daughter wearing a revealing tank top looks "like a Protestant."

"Don't you mean prostitute?" the daughter asks.

"No, I meant a Protestant," the father replies.

In another scene, a young man of Middle Eastern origins with a Canadian accent is heard in an airport check-in line telling his mother via cell phone that his father shouldn't think his choosing to stop being a Toronto lawyer to become an imam in Saskatchewan amounts to career "suicide."

"This is Allah's plan for me," the young man says in passing, before an arresting cop appears suddenly and tells the surprised lawyer that he won't be making that appointment in Paradise.

Nawaz, a British-born Muslim and mother of four who settled on the Prairies with her family a decade ago, downplays the idea that the homegrown comedy may spark widespread controversy.

She insists her comedy springs from a relatively uneventful life in multicultural North America, unlike Europe, for example, where relations between Muslims and the wider Christian community are often a powder keg.

"North America should be the first place where a comedy like this would come about, where Muslims can be comfortable in their own skin and questions of Canadian identity can produce a sitcom," she says.

To ensure it doesn't cause unforeseen offense with "Little Mosque on the Prairie," the government-owned Canadian Broadcasting Corp. (CBC) has hired an independent Muslim-Canadian consultant to comb through the sitcom's creative elements and suggest possible alterations.

Kirstine Layfield, CBC executive director of network programming, says recent preview screenings with select Muslim audiences elicited encouraging results -- laughter.

"Just doing the series is a risk in itself, but one the public broadcaster should take on if we're to help communicate authenticity of living in Canada," Layfield adds.

Mary Darling, one of three executive producers shopping the Canadian comedy stateside, says a U.S. airing may help break down barriers between faith communities.

"It won't do any harm, and maybe it can do some good," she says.

GROUP_AVATAR

GROUP_AVATAR
PostPosted: Sat Jan 06, 2007 9:51 am

While it sounds like a lark and probably is. I expect the next morning will hear the angry cries of Hardcore Muslims, Lets just hope they dont try to portray Mohammed in any form...

Site Admin
Site Admin
 Vancouver Canucks
PostPosted: Sat Jan 06, 2007 9:53 am

I don't know, the previews looked pretty funny to me. If people can't laugh at themselves, ________ em if they can't!

PostPosted: Sat Jan 06, 2007 9:54 am

Methinks it will piss off some Muslims big time.

repost link.

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
 Ottawa Senators

GROUP_AVATAR
PostPosted: Sat Jan 06, 2007 9:54 am

$1:
While it sounds like a lark and probably is. I expect the next morning will hear the angry cries of Hardcore Muslims, Lets just hope they dont try to portray Mohammed in any form...

This has been known for awhile, so why haven't they showed up yet?

CKA Super Elite
CKA Super Elite
 Boston Bruins
PostPosted: Sat Jan 06, 2007 9:55 am

I agree (with QBC). I've only seen the curling preview but it looked funny. They showed a bit on CNN this morning too.

CKA Super Elite
CKA Super Elite
 Toronto Maple Leafs
PostPosted: Sat Jan 06, 2007 10:17 am

Rihx Rihx:

The CBC has hired Muslim reviewers in an attempt to ensure nothing offensive makes it to air.

CKA Super Elite
CKA Super Elite
 Toronto Maple Leafs
PostPosted: Sat Jan 06, 2007 10:18 am

canucker canucker:
I agree (with QBC). I've only seen the curling preview but it looked funny. They showed a bit on CNN this morning too.

It's international news, quite the coup for CBC.

CKA Super Elite
CKA Super Elite
PostPosted: Sat Jan 06, 2007 10:25 am

The usual. The actors will be marked for death. :roll:

Site Admin
Site Admin
 Vancouver Canucks

GROUP_AVATAR
PostPosted: Sat Jan 06, 2007 2:40 pm

since i started getting CBC HD 2 days ago i've seen a couple ads for this show, i was going to post about it, you beat me too it!

lol I think it looks funny, my gf really wants to watch it.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 06, 2007 2:42 pm

Canadaka Canadaka:
since i started getting CBC HD 2 days ago i've seen a couple ads for this show, i was going to post about it, you beat me too it!

lol I think it looks funny, my gf really wants to watch it.

Actually it was posted a few days ago but got buried,could be good for a laugh or a jihad against CBC

PostPosted: Sat Jan 06, 2007 2:44 pm

I think it has the possibility of being quite enjoyable. I just hope that the naysayers don't try to drag it down if it isn't laugh-out-loud funny every second of every minute.

Forum Elite
Forum Elite

GROUP_AVATAR
PostPosted: Sat Jan 06, 2007 3:24 pm

tritium tritium:
The usual. The actors will be marked for death. :roll:

Typical, dammit. The writers do all the work and the dumb actors get the glory.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 06, 2007 4:05 pm

Sounds like the typical PC propaganda from the Communist Broadcasting Corp. :roll:

It'll be off the air by the third show.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 06, 2007 5:53 pm

Drunk Canuck Drunk Canuck:
Sounds like the typical PC propaganda from the Communist Broadcasting Corp. :roll:

It'll be off the air by the third show.

Ya,seems they will run out of material pretty fast or offend someone,we saw what happened when someone drew a cartoon depicting Allah. I wonder how long it will be before someone asks the Imam?

ASK THE IMAM

Nothing on there yet that I can find. :o