CKA Moderator
CKA Moderator
 Vancouver Canucks
PostPosted: Fri Jun 18, 2021 7:24 pm

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
 Calgary Flames
PostPosted: Fri Jun 18, 2021 7:35 pm

I will watch the first couple of eps and make a decision then. One, the last two eps of the first season were unforgivably bad. And two, more importantly, I suspect that the drive is on to make all of Trek like Discovery instead of having Discovery be more like the Trek that came before.

Kind of sick to the core by wokeness and hyper-keen SJW-ing today. As such I feel like I'm going to have to sink more and more into the good parts of the past that had none of that shit in it. All just to avoid the utter banality of what current products are like and what future ones are going to be like.

CKA Elite
CKA Elite
 Calgary Flames

GROUP_AVATAR
PostPosted: Fri Jun 18, 2021 7:37 pm

It's horrible. I was excited when I first heard about the show, but after watching the first five episodes, it left me with a worst taste in my mouth than Discovery. Characters I used to love got ruined or killed, admirals dropping f-bombs, and bad storytelling and writing all around.

Saw the trailer for season two, and now it looks as if they're going to ruin Q now as well. I won't even touch it. Star Trek for me ended with Enterprise, and Star Trek Nemesis. None of the new stuff even comes close to classic Trek. I used to be about morals and messages, but has been warped and twisted into garbage to appeal to younger audiences or people that weren't Trek fans to begin with.

-J.

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
 Calgary Flames
PostPosted: Fri Jun 18, 2021 7:45 pm

It's always amazing, and endlessly discouraging, on how fast they are to dump the fanbase that supported these products, to the point of virtually living and breathing the inspiration that came from them, just to jump the disgusting fucking bandwagons of current political & social trends in the real world. The supporters who loved the product and the message it sent meant nothing at all to them. They were just stepping stones to get them to a place where the niftier and cooler trendmakers of today are residing.

Just a means to an end. Just a tool to be used and thrown away like yesterday's news until the next latest-and-greatest came along. I'm more pissed off at myself for ever having anything at all to do with any of this stuff to begin with. :|

CKA Elite
CKA Elite
 Calgary Flames

GROUP_AVATAR
PostPosted: Fri Jun 18, 2021 8:11 pm

Thanos Thanos:
It's always amazing, and endlessly discouraging, on how fast they are to dump the fanbase that supported these products, to the point of virtually living and breathing the inspiration that came from them, just to jump the disgusting fucking bandwagons of current political & social trends in the real world. The supporters who loved the product and the message it sent meant nothing at all to them. They were just stepping stones to get them to a place where the niftier and cooler trendmakers of today are residing.

This exactly. The mentality of 'fuck all the fans, we'll go after a new audience' is what's ruining almost every main franchise and sending the people that made them what they were far away in droves.

Michael Bay ruined Transformers, Disney ruined Star Wars, and now Kurtzman has ruined Star Trek and caused irreparable damage. It's sad to see this happen to so many things I held dear, and equally frustrating as well.

-J.

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
 Calgary Flames
PostPosted: Fri Jun 18, 2021 8:16 pm

It's like getting severed at work from a place & company you really loved. Thanks for all your help but you're really not needed, or even wanted anymore. Onwards, upwards!

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
PostPosted: Fri Jun 18, 2021 8:17 pm

I guess I’m the outlier here because I liked the first season and I can’t wait for the second season. I think it’s better than Discovery and the last season of Discovery got pretty good even though it was preachy and overly dramatic.

It’s the same whining all the time. “Oh no the show isn’t exactly like it was when I young.” “Oh noes, there’s new characters I don’t like!” And so on and so forth.

Time marches on. Cultural attitudes change and they are reflected in the media we consume. I was young at the time, but were people mad at ST:TNG because Picard wasn’t an intergalactic poon hound like Kirk?

And I just all the people pre-hating a show from a 1 min trailer. They’re the same goons who heard about an trans character in The Last of Us 2 and instantly decided it was the worst game in the history of ever before even playing it.

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
 Montreal Canadiens
PostPosted: Fri Jun 18, 2021 8:35 pm

If you don't like it, don't watch it. Dog damn whiny old people! :evil:

...and get off my lawn!!! :twisted:

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
 Calgary Flames
PostPosted: Fri Jun 18, 2021 10:37 pm

At this stage in the game I'm looking forward to a Superman helmed by JJ Abrams even less than I'm looking forward to living past age 60. There's no point in asking if anything will get better because it objectively won't. The only question now is how awful will it be. :|

CKA Moderator
CKA Moderator
PostPosted: Sat Jun 19, 2021 6:37 am

CDN_PATRIOT CDN_PATRIOT:
Michael Bay ruined Transformers, Disney ruined Star Wars, and now Kurtzman has ruined Star Trek and caused irreparable damage. It's sad to see this happen to so many things I held dear, and equally frustrating as well.

-J.

xerxes xerxes:
I guess I’m the outlier here because I liked the first season and I can’t wait for the second season. I think it’s better than Discovery and the last season of Discovery got pretty good even though it was preachy and overly dramatic.

It’s the same whining all the time. “Oh no the show isn’t exactly like it was when I young.” “Oh noes, there’s new characters I don’t like!” And so on and so forth.

Time marches on. Cultural attitudes change and they are reflected in the media we consume. I was young at the time, but were people mad at ST:TNG because Picard wasn’t an intergalactic poon hound like Kirk?

And I just all the people pre-hating a show from a 1 min trailer. They’re the same goons who heard about an trans character in The Last of Us 2 and instantly decided it was the worst game in the history of ever before even playing it.

Right now, I am right in between these two comments.

I didn't hate Discovery, or Picard. They both challenged and entertained me. Do I hate that they killed Picard, and Data? Yes. And Discovery's Kirkland brand Edris Alba with the glowie forehead is a bit weak. But things go on, nonetheless.

I like that (I think) Discovery is heading toward the "Andromeda" future that Roddenberry envisioned. And that progress will be messy. It's not the highly moral Trek of the 60's and 80's, but then again Trek of that era was a reflection of Societies struggle with the Civil Rights movement. We've supposedly moved past that.

raydan raydan:
If you don't like it, don't watch it. Dog damn whiny old people! :evil:

^^ That. It's not Gene Roddenberry's "Star Trek". It's Eugene Roddenberry's now. If it stops entertaining me, I'll stop watching it.

After all; it's not a way of life, or a religious sect, it's entertainment.

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
 Toronto Maple Leafs

GROUP_AVATAR
PostPosted: Sat Jun 19, 2021 6:48 am

Weak, lots of bytes but no bite.

CKA Elite
CKA Elite
 Calgary Flames

GROUP_AVATAR
PostPosted: Sat Jun 19, 2021 8:16 am

Thanos Thanos:
It's like getting severed at work from a place & company you really loved. Thanks for all your help but you're really not needed, or even wanted anymore. Onwards, upwards!

Nail on the head right there. I'd have more respect for Kurtzman and all the others making this new 'Star Trek' if they didn't call it 'Star Trek' at all. PIC/DIS/LD are nowhere near Star Trek, save for a handful of legacy characters that were put there to attempt to keep very same the loyal Trek fanbase that they have ended up alienating.

Star Trek was never about political correctness and the 'woke' mentality. It was about smart story, and using the show to send powerful messages about current issues, while giving us all hope that the future would be something we as humans could one day all be proud of.

Now, this current crop of 'Trek' is all about pandering to everyone, giving cheap pops, and millions of lens flares. You can put lipstick on a pig, but it's still a pig.

Any REAL Trek fan knows that proper Star Trek ended some time back. Now, all we get is hollow nonsense meant to appease all the snowflakes and bleeding hearts.

-J.

Forum Super Elite
Forum Super Elite
PostPosted: Sun Jun 20, 2021 9:35 am

Wait they killed off Picard and Data? Really? I keep thinking I will make time to watch but now I’m second guessing it. My list of things to do is so long I will probably never get to it anyway.

CKA Elite
CKA Elite
 Calgary Flames

GROUP_AVATAR
PostPosted: Sun Jun 20, 2021 11:25 am

housewife housewife:
Wait they killed off Picard and Data? Really?

Data's body was vaporized in Star Trek Nemesis, but his memory engrams were saved by transferring a copy of them to the less advanced android B4. In STP, his memory engrams (consciousness) were wiped out.

Picard is now an android, which makes no sense whatsoever.

housewife housewife:
I keep thinking I will make time to watch but now I’m second guessing it. My list of things to do is so long I will probably never get to it anyway.

You're not missing much. STP is even further from anything Star Trek than Discovery is, and they've already killed some legacy characters and ruined others. The opening scene of the first episode was great for nostalgia's sake, but the show on a whole went immediately downhill.

It's too bad that a storied franchise had to be ruined like this, but whatever. I keep re-watching all the good stuff (TOS,TNG,DS9,VOY,ENT, movies up to Nemesis).

-J.

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
 Calgary Flames
PostPosted: Sun Jun 20, 2021 4:13 pm

There were a lot of good things in Picard, especially the activities of the Romulans and the Borg. I disagree with the video about the violence and swearing. Like, big deal and there's no way they can go back to the old days where Kirk could knock out a giant Klingon with one punch. The Romulan agents, especially the exquisite Narissa, were murderous for a reason because they genuinely believed they were facing an apocalypse-level existential threat, which was basically proven true when the future-AI's started coming through the temporal portal.

I'll say it again - most of Picard was good, with IMO only three of the ten episodes being bad. If I don't watch the second season in full it'll be because Picard becomes too much like Discovery and moves too far away from what TNG/DS9/Voyager established for that particular era of the Federation. And I will give the upcoming new series with Captain Pike a watch too, with the same rules that I won't not watch it unless it pisses me off by being too much like Discovery.

Discovery though? Fuck it. Flush that entire horrid thing down the toilet as far as I'm concerned.