canadian forums
bottom

Canadian Forums

Author Topic Options
CKA Moderator
CKA Moderator
PostPosted: Mon Jun 01, 2020 8:41 am

"Coronavirus Explained"

A short and interesting look at exactly what the SARS-COV2/ Covid19 pandemic is. (and why there is a difference between those terms!)

It avoids hype or non-medical explanations.

CKA Moderator
CKA Moderator
CKA Moderator
CKA Moderator
PostPosted: Thu Jun 11, 2020 8:10 am

"The Innocence Files"

Taken from "The Innocence Project", a look in to what it broken in the US judicial system. Spoiler: A lot. So bad that there are lawyers who's only job it is to exonerate these people. And that isn't easy, because the system is biased toward the State.

Deep dives into how a person can spend 30 years in prison based soully on the testimony of eyewitnesses, and how the Prosecution hides evidence from the defence about those witnesses. People who have to prove their innocence in order to get a new trial.

It goes deep into the flaws of certain kinds of evidence, like bite marks or hair samples. In depth, and heartbreaking.

CKA Uber
CKA Uber

GROUP_AVATAR
PostPosted: Thu Jun 11, 2020 11:00 am

maldonsfecht wrote:
started watching this the other night... not high-brow stuff, but actually very funny and well acted... (who knew Rob's actual wife was such a fox)

I watched the first episode and it was a total train wreck! :lol:

Thanks for the recommendation.

CKA Uber
CKA Uber

GROUP_AVATAR
PostPosted: Thu Jun 11, 2020 11:03 am

Freakinoldguy wrote:
bootlegga wrote:

If you can handle a post-apocalyptic show these days, Into the Night is pretty good.

I'm a few episodes in and so far it's been interesting...and it's been dubbed into English on Netflix for those who hate subtitles.

We watched it and found it interesting but a bit cliche filled. I'd be interested to see what season two brings because when I looked up to see if it was in the works I discovered that this series was based on a digital only science fiction novel .

If the show follows the book the believablity factor is going to have to go right out the window since this series goes from the post apocalyptic thriller people have become invested in to a pure cyberpunk futuristic science fiction story/ My guess is that if it does that it'll lose it's humanity and likely a good portion of it's audience.

I agree with the bit cliched critique, but for once it was refreshing to see a post-apocalyptic show that wasn't about zombies (even though I like zombies). Hopefully the second season will be interesting too and not cliched - I worry we'll get the old 'army/goverment brutalizing civilians' trope often seen in post-apocaylptic genre.

CKA Moderator
CKA Moderator
PostPosted: Fri Jul 03, 2020 7:06 am

"Homemade"

A bunch of little short films made by creative people stuck in Covid lockdown. Funny, interesting, unexpected. I've only watched a few, but they have had laughs and poignant moments.

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
PostPosted: Sun Jul 05, 2020 2:02 pm

DrCaleb wrote:
Quote:
Netflix Secures International Rights to Studio Ghibli Animated Films

The iconic animated features of Japan’s Studio Ghibli will be available in territories outside the U.S., Canada and Japan on Netflix starting in February. The move is a further change of position for the studio which has repeatedly resisted the idea that its beloved cartoons would be released on digital platforms.

Netflix, sales agent Wild Bunch, and Studio Ghibli, which counts Hayao Miyazaki as one of its leading lights, will upload 21 Ghibli features including Academy Award-winner “Spirited Away,” “Princess Mononoke,” “Arrietty,” “Kiki’s Delivery Service,” “My Neighbor Totoro,” and “The Tale of The Princess Kaguya.”

They will be screened in their native Japanese, with sub-titles, and be available globally on Netflix except in the U.S., Canada, and Japan.

https://variety.com/2020/digital/asia/n ... 203473100/

Why do they hate us?

Turns out they don't hate us after all. A bunch of Studio Ghibli films are now on Netflix Canada. If you haven't seen any of Hayao Miyazaki's movies, do it. They are simply wonderful.

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
PostPosted: Sun Jul 05, 2020 2:07 pm

Also, on Disney+, if you somehow hadn't heard, you can watch Hamilton from the comfort of your own home instead of shelling out hundreds of dollars for a ticket in the nosebleeds.

The show is just fantastic. Brilliantly acted and sung, and the best part of watching it like this is you can really see the emotions on the actors faces which you rarely can live in the theatre.

I hope this starts a trend where we can see other Broadway shows like Book of Mormon or Spamalot.

CKA Moderator
CKA Moderator
PostPosted: Tue Jul 07, 2020 7:16 am

"Eric Andre: Legalize Everything."

Ok, this guy is off the hook. :lol: Very raunchy, and he does a scene from "Silence of the Lambs" you will not be able to unsee. But the prank texts to "mom" are worth it.

CKA Moderator
CKA Moderator
PostPosted: Wed Jul 08, 2020 6:46 am

"Warrior Nun"

I was hesitant to blend superhero with Catholicism, but the production is a lot less Churchie than I was expecting. It helps too that the lead actress, Alba Baptista, is a major hottie. Even though I thought I had seen her in something before, this is her English language debut. I think this is because she bears resemblance to Ellen Page.

CKA Uber
CKA Uber

GROUP_AVATAR
PostPosted: Wed Jul 08, 2020 9:15 am

The Order of the Cruciform Sword? They stole that from Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade!

Who knows, this might be okay.

I was searching Netflix the other day and they have all sorts of old classics like Stripes, See No Evil Hear No Evil, Jurassic Park, and Hunt for Red Octoer.

CKA Moderator
CKA Moderator
PostPosted: Wed Jul 08, 2020 10:04 am

bootlegga wrote:
The Order of the Cruciform Sword?

Should change it to "Order of the Stone Cold Hottie". ;)

Forum Super Elite
Forum Super Elite
 Calgary Flames
PostPosted: Wed Jul 08, 2020 3:00 pm

Two great documentary series I've been watching:

'Dirty Money'

'The Toys That Made us'

-J.

CKA Moderator
CKA Moderator
 Vancouver Canucks
PostPosted: Wed Jul 08, 2020 5:51 pm

CKA Moderator
CKA Moderator
PostPosted: Thu Jul 09, 2020 6:06 am

CDN_PATRIOT wrote:
Two great documentary series I've been watching:

'Dirty Money'

'The Toys That Made us'

-J.

You might also like "Rotten". ;)

Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 502 posts ]  Previous  1 ... 30  31  32  33  34  Next