bottom

Canadian Forums

Author Topic Options
CKA Uber
CKA Uber
 Vancouver Canucks

GROUP_AVATAR
PostPosted: Tue Jul 20, 2021 11:43 am

Funny thing though, I didn't mind the "girls can do it too" hammer they wanted to hit you over the head with here.

It was almost clever.

It wasn't like they just called it John Wick and tried to make it with an all female cast.

It was more like they used a John Wickian type skeleton and fleshed it out with a Tarantino style history of edgy violent cinema. There was even spaghetti western in there.

It's kind of regrettable that it didn't work. I was a little embarrassed for Lena Hedley when they had her do a John Woo double-fisted pistol firing leap. That came out cringe.

Should have called it 'Jane Wick' and had more slow motion shotgun blasts for a Peckinpaw reference. I think making what they were doing so obvious you couldn't ignore it would have helped.

There were bits in Gunpowder Milkshake that were almost soft parody. I wouldn't have minded if they went harder on that, myself. Accent the clever but not go full on Airplane. Difficult balance but could have worked.

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
PostPosted: Tue Jul 20, 2021 11:48 am

Good points. It’s like they couldn’t quite decide where they wanted to go. Go John Wick clone or slightly more comedic John Wick clone. There’s definitely more room for the latter in the shoot ‘em up genre.

CKA Moderator
CKA Moderator
PostPosted: Tue Jul 20, 2021 12:04 pm

xerxes xerxes:
I watched it and it was ok. It seems like they were trying to make a budget John Wick. Good cast but it could have used a better director.

It wasn't terrible. That's the problem with Netflix. Sometimes you get Stranger Things, sometimes you get Blindspot.

CKA Moderator
CKA Moderator
 Vancouver Canucks
PostPosted: Sat Jul 24, 2021 3:15 pm

HA! Play shitty games win shitty prizes.

CKA Moderator
CKA Moderator
 Vancouver Canucks
PostPosted: Sat Jul 24, 2021 3:23 pm

After that time for a palate cleanser:

Never played the game but the show rocks! Sex, violence and vampires.

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
PostPosted: Mon Jul 26, 2021 3:50 pm

On Crave/HBO Max. A doc about Woodstock '99 and how it devolved into a orgy of violence. It was interesting. All those bands were the soundtrack of my youth and I was in awe of that lineup when I first heard about it.

But then it turned to shit. And the doc does a good job of showing how, and to an extent, why it happened. There's no definitive answer of course, the causes are too deeply cultural to properly diagnose. Nonetheless, this was an interesting look back.

Also, Dave Mustaine is interviewed in this doc and he is looking....rough.

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
 Calgary Flames
PostPosted: Mon Jul 26, 2021 3:55 pm

It was a great documentary. A real eye-opener on how not to do a festival. Those comments from Moby where he said he could feel the malice hanging over the place when they first arrived there was fairly chilling. Pinning the idiocy on the frat-boy demographic of the time was entirely appropriate. I imagine all you have to do is look at the alt-right and the younger cohort of Trump supporters if you ever wondered what became of those kind of people twenty years later. :|

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
 Calgary Flames
PostPosted: Tue Jul 27, 2021 4:45 am

Blood Red Sky was a lot of fun. I have to check out more of these foreign-made horror films. The American ones seem played out most of the time. Hey, who let all these gawd-damn German vampires on this gawd-damn plane?!?!? :lol:

CKA Moderator
CKA Moderator
PostPosted: Tue Jul 27, 2021 6:48 am

Two I am watching are 'Taco Chronicles' and 'The Chef Show'.

I think Mexican cuisine is really underrated in North America. The have incredible produce, like France, and have influences from the Middle East and Asia. Watching Taco Chronicles makes me want almost all of the tacos. I'm not too sure about Goat.

The Chef Show stars Jon Favreau, who acts, writes and directs many Marvel and Star Wars stories, and did a movie called 'Chef', which is the inspiration for this show. Many guests are well known, and many are influential in the culinary world.

CKA Uber
CKA Uber

GROUP_AVATAR
PostPosted: Tue Aug 03, 2021 9:53 am

This just got to Netflix and was pretty entertaining:

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
 Calgary Flames
PostPosted: Tue Aug 03, 2021 2:42 pm

Yeah, that was about the first time in the last ten years I actually enjoyed a Jason Statham movie. That one was oddly well-made and fun from beginning to end.

CKA Moderator
CKA Moderator
PostPosted: Tue Aug 03, 2021 2:59 pm

Well, now I have to watch it. :)

CKA Moderator
CKA Moderator
 Vancouver Canucks
PostPosted: Tue Aug 03, 2021 3:29 pm

It was ok, I think Nobody (Bob Odenkirk) was FAR better.

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
 Calgary Flames
PostPosted: Tue Aug 03, 2021 3:35 pm

Awake was interesting but fairly poor in execution. Concept was that something cosmic happened that scrambled everyone's brains so they couldn't get to sleep, with chaos & mayhem erupting inside of a few days as relentless & incurable sleep deprivation began to cause insanity and eventual death. Basically a new take in the extinction event genre. Thing is they didn't explain it very well and it became a fair large plot hole that tainted the entire movie. Good actors and an interesting idea, just bad direction and scripting. Deserved better than what resulted.

I agree with most others now. Awake and Birdbox confirms that Netflix is just really bad at these kinds of movies. Shame actually that they can't do better than Shudder does, and Shudder has about a tenth of the budget that Netflix has, with what should be a slam-dunk exploitation of a very popular and profitable genre.

Last edited by Thanos on Wed Aug 04, 2021 4:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.

CKA Moderator
CKA Moderator
 Vancouver Canucks
PostPosted: Tue Aug 03, 2021 3:41 pm

Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 618 posts ]  Previous  1 ... 35  36  37  38  39  40  41  42  Next