CKA Forums
Login 
canadian forums
bottom

Canadian Forums

Author Topic Options
PostPosted: Sat Jan 09, 2016 4:23 pm

Hi Guys. I just want to make an observation about the culture of the 2010s.

What I've Noticed: Fiction analysis is everywhere now. What I say "analysis" I mean "over-analysis". Nothing is "just a story" or "just a game" anymore. Christian fundies think that every story is "sinful". Feminists think that every story is sexist and racist.

Fundies won't leave J.K. Rowling alone. Feminists won't leave Nintendo alone. Same shit, different asshole. Nothing is "just a story" anymore. Some feminists even think that Disney is sexist.

I've been trying to escape from this pretentious snobbery for quite some time but it seems like there is no escape. This garbage frequently appears on cracked.com, Know Your Meme, YouTube, TV Tropes, and other sites that used to be funny. If you utter the words "It's just a story" then you are a hellbound sinner, a patriarch or both. I hate this stupid decade.

Anyways, the whole world wants to tear every story to shreds so I might as well join in. Here are my thoughts on modern fiction.

1. Why is everything so dark and edgy? Captain America: The Winter Soldier is one of the highest-rated movies on IMDB even though I hated it. Superhero movies shouldn't be angsty and emo. I miss campy superheroes. We need more superhero movies where everyone is shouting and boasting all the time and everything is colorful. I hate emo superheroes.

2. Black and white morality is underrated. Not every story has to include grey morality. Sometimes I just want a battle between a clearly defined good and a clearly defined evil. I hate moral nihilism.

3. Directors who shoehorn in romantic subplots where they don't belong are assholes. Not everyone has an active sex life. Quit taunting me you dicks.

4. Humanoid aliens should not exist in modern films. The existed in the old Star Trek show because CGI did not exist back then. We live in the age of CGI so humanoid aliens have no reason to exist. Show some creativity.

5. Abusive parenting is not funny. That's why I don't watch Family Guy anymore.

6. Referencing the name of a movie is not the same as making fun of it. Don't be like Seltzer and Friedberg.

7. I can make fun of a crappy film even if it is for kids. Pixar has made films for kids that are masterpieces. The "It's just for kids." defense makes no sense.

8. Video Games don't need a complex story. Just take me to the damn action already. If I wanted to watch a CGI film then I would watch one. I hate cutscenes.

9. The folks at Nintendo are not saying that all women need to be rescued. Princess Peach is not a bad character.

10. 300 by Frank Miller was kinda sexist ... but I still enjoyed it. Deal with it.

Dear God. Getting all this off my chest felt good.

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
 Montreal Canadiens
PostPosted: Sat Jan 09, 2016 4:47 pm

I don't mind that people analyse or even over-analyse, free speech and all... but I draw the line when they start talking censoring or banning.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 09, 2016 5:03 pm

I respect free speech too ... but it's still annoying seeing this stuff on sites I used to like.

Another Thing: The English version of Dead or Alive Extreme 3 was cancelled due to feminist whining.

Who's next?

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
PostPosted: Sun Jan 10, 2016 10:50 am

When I like something, I just like it. If I don't like it, then I find something else.
I don't think it matters whether other Peeps like it or not, that shouldn't ruin your fun. 8)

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
 Vancouver Canucks

GROUP_AVATAR
PostPosted: Sun Jan 10, 2016 12:19 pm

I know this. Oscar winners for best pic are sure crappy these days.

They owe me 2 hours of my life back for telling me Birdman was worth watching.