Canadian Forums

Author Topic Options
CKA Uber
CKA Uber

GROUP_AVATAR
PostPosted: Mon Jul 24, 2017 5:38 am

Coach85 Coach85:
BartSimpson BartSimpson:
Go stare at the sun for a while and see if you can see it.

It's entirely possible you won't.

Even so, he wouldn't find it because you made it up.

The author made an accurate comment that "some people" would be annoyed about the casting but beyond that, it was a glowing review of the film.

Stop looking for reasons to be outraged....and the name calling, really?

R=UP

Sadly, Bart has been easily triggered ever since other right wing supporters on CKA have called him for his blind support and total faith in President (for Life) Trump.

CKA Moderator
CKA Moderator
 Vancouver Canucks

GROUP_AVATAR
PostPosted: Mon Jul 24, 2017 8:56 am

bootlegga bootlegga:
Sadly, Bart has been easily triggered ever since other right wing supporters on CKA have called him for his blind support and total faith in President (for Life) Trump.

You know, it's getting tiresome how many people like to make shit up, accuse me of it, and then expect me to defend their delusions.

I do not 'blindly support' this man and some people on CKA are well aware of that.

What I object to is the bandwagon full of assholes who passionately hate him for things that are unsupported or simply untrue.

If you can't tolerate the idea of someone not getting on board with this blind hatred of the man (and Russia) then go fuck yourself.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 24, 2017 9:10 am

Saw the film last night. Not as good as I had hoped. I don't think they spent a whole lot of time on effects. The beach did not look like it was the scene of a mass retreat of 325000 troops. Some of the ships used were simply boarded up mock ups. The aerial scenes were pretty good though, except they were using a variant of Spitfire that didn't exist until later in the war, but that's me being picky.

CKA Moderator
CKA Moderator
 Vancouver Canucks

GROUP_AVATAR
PostPosted: Mon Jul 24, 2017 9:18 am

Nuggie77 Nuggie77:
Saw the film last night. Not as good as I had hoped. I don't think they spent a whole lot of time on effects. The beach did not look like it was the scene of a mass retreat of 325000 troops. Some of the ships used were simply boarded up mock ups. The aerial scenes were pretty good though, except they were using a variant of Spitfire that didn't exist until later in the war, but that's me being picky.

A coworker who saw it over the weekend tells me that the three timeline thing was confusing.

The scenes on the beach take place over the course of a week.

The scenes on the water occur over the course of a day.

The aerial battle takes place over the course of one hour.

And the scenes are interspersed with each other which adds to the confusion.

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
 Montreal Canadiens
PostPosted: Mon Jul 24, 2017 12:13 pm

My usual post on movies historically based...

It's a movie, people... A MOVIE.
Not real life, not a documentary... A MOVIE.

Ever hear of artistic license? It's a MOVIE!!! :evil:

Now you can all go back dissing the movie because it's not historically correct. :D

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
PostPosted: Mon Jul 24, 2017 12:58 pm

I saw it over the weekend and I have to say the rave reviews are justified. It's intense and engrossing and worth the price of admission (especially if you see it in IMAX which you should).

I thought the three different timelines worked well. I can see why it would confuse some people but they all converge at the end of the movie. This is going to be an Oscar contender for sure which will be a nice change from the usual artsy movies that only a dozen theatres run.

CKA Uber
CKA Uber

GROUP_AVATAR
PostPosted: Mon Jul 24, 2017 4:59 pm

BartSimpson BartSimpson:
bootlegga bootlegga:

You know, it's getting tiresome how many people like to make shit up, accuse me of it, and then expect me to defend their delusions.

I do not 'blindly support' this man and some people on CKA are well aware of that.

What I object to is the bandwagon full of assholes who passionately hate him for things that are unsupported or simply untrue.

If you can't tolerate the idea of someone not getting on board with this blind hatred of the man (and Russia) then go fuck yourself.

Thanks for proving just how easily triggered you are snowflake! :lol:

Go ahead and can say whatever the fuck you want to help you sleep easier at night, but pretty much everyone here knows your 'criticism' of Trump is about equal to your support for Hillary in the last election.

Of course you won't believe me, but your many posts in the Trumpocalypse thread defending President Cheeto speak volumes for the rest of us.

Forum Super Elite
Forum Super Elite
PostPosted: Fri Jul 28, 2017 8:04 pm

Tricks Tricks:
Quite frankly the only people's opinion that matters on the movie are the people like the gentleman in the article above, the ones who were there. If they commend it, then it's a success.

I disagree there. Any work of art has to say something interesting to be worth viewing. The British end of WWII, a relatively minor part of the fighting, has been massively overcovered in dull and worthy movies, novels and comics since 1945. Growing up, I heard little else (John Lennon was making fun of this stuff as far back as the Sixties) and have no desire to repeat the experience unless something genuinely original is on offer. James Meek had this to say in 2001:

https://www.lrb.co.uk/v23/n17/james-mee ... ca_nonsubs

CKA Super Elite
CKA Super Elite
 Vancouver Canucks
PostPosted: Sat Jul 29, 2017 6:51 am

Thanos Thanos:
All in all it looks like a masterpiece so there's no need to let a few whiny voices in the distance with their skewed priorities wreck it for anyone else. Hopefully it wins a ton of Oscars and other award just to piss them off.

This was a single-scene tracking shot from Atonement. Up until Nolan's film it's been pretty much the sole modern take on Dunkirk in our generation's time.

American Sniper faced the same Leftist backlash, made a shit load of money and won no Oscars just like what will happen to Dunkirk.

CKA Super Elite
CKA Super Elite
PostPosted: Sat Jul 29, 2017 3:31 pm

raydan raydan:
My usual post on movies historically based...

It's a movie, people... A MOVIE.
Not real life, not a documentary... A MOVIE.

Ever hear of artistic license? It's a MOVIE!!! :evil:

Now you can all go back dissing the movie because it's not historically correct. :D

Reminds me of something else. I shoot muzzleloading rifles and shotguns. I'm not involved in reinacting but see stuff about it on forums i follow. Apparently reinactors are really PC (Period Correct) and frown on ANY period kit that doesn't meet their standard. So, if you show up for a reinactment as a Rogers Ranger with an affordable India made Brown Bess, you can expect to be ridiculed by the guys carding custom made $4 ooo Bess's. the world is full of folks who can't see past the end of their noses and expect everyone else to have BB lint identical to theirs.