Login 
canadian forums
bottom

Canadian Forums

Author Topic Options
Forum Elite
Forum Elite
PostPosted: Thu Feb 26, 2009 8:02 pm

I know there are a lot of nerds on here like me. So I beat you are looking forward to Watchmen. I have just started reading it and the movie looks great. Anyone read it or have plans to see it?

Here is a imbd summary:
"Watchmen" is set in an alternate 1985 America in which costumed superheroes are part of the fabric of everyday society, and the "Doomsday Clock" - which charts the USA's tension with the Soviet Union - is permanently set at five minutes to midnight. When one of his former colleagues is murdered, the washed up but no less determined masked vigilante Rorschach sets out to uncover a plot to kill and discredit all past and present superheroes. As he reconnects with his former crime-fighting legion - a ragtag group of retired superheroes, only one of whom has true powers - Rorschach glimpses a wide-ranging and disturbing conspiracy with links to their shared past and catastrophic consequences for the future. Their mission is to watch over humanity... but who is watching the Watchmen?"

Here is a trailer

CKA Super Elite
CKA Super Elite
PostPosted: Thu Feb 26, 2009 8:12 pm

I dont know, the plot seems a little weak...

Forum Super Elite
Forum Super Elite
PostPosted: Thu Feb 26, 2009 8:32 pm

I must be too old. Doesn't even sound interesting. :lol:

GROUP_AVATAR
PostPosted: Thu Feb 26, 2009 8:38 pm

The graphic novel is AMAZING. This movie looks so good too. And it's rated R. OH BABY!!! [drool]

Forum Elite
Forum Elite
PostPosted: Thu Feb 26, 2009 11:39 pm

DrJones wrote:
The graphic novel is AMAZING. This movie looks so good too. And it's rated R. OH BABY!!! [drool]

I have heard that it has full frontal male and female.

Forum Elite
Forum Elite
PostPosted: Thu Feb 26, 2009 11:44 pm

poquas wrote:
I must be too old. Doesn't even sound interesting. :lol:

I think if you look into it more, you will find that it has a lot of ofter all ages. It set in the 1980s during a time of high nuclear tension.

It is dark and not like some comic moves. The characters have major issues, they are not like your normal heroes. Plus, you add government regulation, family issues and love story, human weakness. It all in there and a whole lot more.

CKA Elite
CKA Elite
 Montreal Canadiens

GROUP_AVATAR
PostPosted: Fri Feb 27, 2009 3:08 am

The movie looks good IMO but I can't help but realize the simularities the superheros look to existing ones. One of which more or less kinda looks like a gayer version of batman.

CKA Elite
CKA Elite
 Toronto Maple Leafs
PostPosted: Fri Feb 27, 2009 3:52 am

Bacardi4206 wrote:
The movie looks good IMO but I can't help but realize the simularities the superheros look to existing ones. One of which more or less kinda looks like a gayer version of batman.

That was Alan Moore's whole point. The Watchmen was also to serve as a commentary on superhero archetypes. And Night Owl II wasn't a comment on Batman so much as he was a comment on the Blue Beetle and people inheriting titles they can't live up to.

The plot was fantastic. If you enjoyed V for Vendetta, this one will blow your cock off.

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
 Calgary Flames
PostPosted: Fri Feb 27, 2009 4:09 am

I like the initial looks of it, but this is the third movie made of Alam Moore's work where he's had his name taken off of it. I don't think he's as pissed off about it as he was with what they did to "V For Vendetta" but he still won't be endorsing or making any public endorsements or doing interviews for "Watchmen". As I've been reading Moore since his stint on "Swamp Thing" back in the mid-1980's I'm kinda going to have to sidee with him on this one. Much like "Lord Of The Rings" and Prof. Tolkiens objections to turining it into a film, I have to agree with the creators when they say some things just shouldn't be given a Hollywood treatment. It's not that Zack Snyder or Peter Jackson go out their way to ruin these interpretations. It's just that film, no matter the cost or the amount of CGI they put into 'em these days, can't live up to what was put down on the page and left to the readers imagination.

There are some big deletions from "Watchmen". A small one is that "Tales of the Black Freighter" won't be in it, and I can see the reasons why as it wouldn be too confusing for anyone who never read the comics to understand why it parallels the main plotline. They're apparently going to toss an animated short of "Black Freighter" into the DVD release as an extra. A more worrysome change from the comics affects the entire ending though from what I read recently. I won't spoil it for anyone, but maybe in a post-Sept 11 world Hollywood is still too scared to show a major catastrophic disaster happening in an American city because the scriptwriters backed off from a huge part of Ozymandias' master plan. I can't figure our why because in my interpretation it'll wreck the entire point of the film. But I'll let you guys look it up on your own to see what I'm talking about.

CKA Elite
CKA Elite
PostPosted: Fri Feb 27, 2009 6:38 am

Dayseed wrote:
The plot was fantastic. If you enjoyed V for Vendetta, this one will blow your cock off.

I don't consider this a very good reason for me to attend the film. In fact, I would rather say it has the opposite effect.

Forum Elite
Forum Elite
PostPosted: Fri Feb 27, 2009 9:52 am

Dayseed wrote:
Bacardi4206 wrote:

That was Alan Moore's whole point. The Watchmen was also to serve as a commentary on superhero archetypes. And Night Owl II wasn't a comment on Batman so much as he was a comment on the Blue Beetle and people inheriting titles they can't live up to.

You got the right and V for Vendetta is one of the best film of the last 10 years.

Forum Elite
Forum Elite
PostPosted: Fri Feb 27, 2009 10:07 am

I agree Thanos. At the same time the movies often opens the comic up to people that have never heard of the them. When people do read them they normal like them a lot better. It is to bad they are not willing to do it in a way Alan Moore would like. I know why he is pissed about V for Vendetta. They took a lot of his basic message out of it and base on what you are say I can see why he would be pissed about that. Personnel I like the comic a lot better, but the movie was good (V). I guess it comes down to a fear by the main stream media/Hollywood of any Libertarian or Anarchist.Plus, they have a feeling that we as the consumer can not understand a richer plot, deeper messages and disasters close home, but if the truth be hold it is Hollywood/ The Media that is to simple mind to understand it.

That being said I'm still going to go see it and most likely enjoy it. In fact, this movie and V for Vendetta for that matter may become as much a commentary on 2000's Hollywood than it is on what Alan Moore wrote and that's to bad because he is bloody brilliant.

CKA Uber
CKA Uber

GROUP_AVATAR
PostPosted: Fri Feb 27, 2009 10:19 am

I've watched the trailers, read tons of interviews, perused all sorts of websites about the film, but I never read the graphic novel, and that may be why I just don't give two figs about this movie.

All I can say is I hope it's as good as you all hope it is. I think it will do much more business on DVD than in the theatres.

Forum Elite
Forum Elite
PostPosted: Fri Feb 27, 2009 10:39 am

bootlegga wrote:
I think it will do much more business on DVD than in the theatres.

I think you have a point there. Much like V. People did not fully understand V at first, so they waited until DVD and then it became much bigger. It does have the 300 director which will add some fan base.

CKA Uber
CKA Uber

GROUP_AVATAR
PostPosted: Fri Feb 27, 2009 10:55 am

The reason is not because people aren't sure about a movie, but rather the key is the rating. The 'R' rating will prevent a lot of teenaged males from seeing it, so they will have to wait for the DVD. Same with movies like 300 and V for Vendetta. Movies like Saw and Crank are made specifically with the DVD market as their number #1 audience. If it breaks even while in the theatres, it's a bonus. DVD sales are the main reason there were three Resident Evil movies (and maybe a fourth), three Transporter movies, and all sorts of other relatively weak movie franchises.

That is why Hollywood is always trying for PG-13 movies, to hit as many of the four quadrants (young and old, male and female) as possible. Statistics show that movie-going drops off dramatically after 35, yet peak around the 20-25 age group, so that is why many movies have themes aimed at younger audiences.

The problem is that many people don't realize just how much movies cost. These days, a 'low budget' flick still can have a $5 million budget, while blockbusters like Dark Knight can push close to $200 million. And studios generally spend as much on marketing as they do on producing a movie, so a film like the Dark Knight actually cost closer to $400 million to make.