Login 
canadian forums
bottom

Canadian Forums

Author Topic Options
CKA Uber
CKA Uber
PostPosted: Sun Jan 01, 2012 11:48 am

Guess I'm a very late adopter. I finally broke down and bought a blue ray machine - before that I wasn't watching movies for a long time - video was still around. Now it turns out all the video rental shops are closing too. I can order video on demand, but the selection is very poor - lots of crap. Netflicks sounds like it's not worth it either. I certainly don't want to get into the whole bittorrent thing. So how do people here get their movies to watch at home?

CKA Super Elite
CKA Super Elite
PostPosted: Sun Jan 01, 2012 12:10 pm

andyt andyt:
Guess I'm a very late adopter. I finally broke down and bought a blu ray machine - before that I wasn't watching movies for a long time - video was still around. Now it turns out all the video rental shops are closing too. I can order video on demand, but the selection is very poor - lots of crap. Netflicks sounds like it's not worth it either. I certainly don't want to get into the whole bittorrent thing. So how do people here get their movies to watch at home?

Fixed :mrgreen:

Well I have nextflix, and as many others on here can attest to, it's well worth the money.

With the rental shops closing you can usually get their liquidated stock pretty cheap.

Pawn shops usually have Blu Ray on the cheap.

I do torrent some movies which I cant see on netflix.

Lastly I buy movies as well, right now Futureshop has many of their Blu ray flicks on sale.

Welcome to the 2012 [B-o]

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
PostPosted: Sun Jan 01, 2012 12:20 pm

I've heard it both ways on netflix - they certainly don't have the latest releases, which for me was kinda the point of getting the machine, since the movie channels I subscribe to just play the same crap over and over.

Don't want to buy movies.

2012 - forward to the past, where easily available newly released videos are no longer easily available, like it was before video. What happens to all those movies you read about in the paper that sound good - are they not released on CD anymore, and if not doesn't that make a huge cut in movie profitability? And what happened to the demand for that product from consumers?

CKA Elite
CKA Elite
 Calgary Flames
PostPosted: Sun Jan 01, 2012 12:33 pm

I wouldn't go so far as to say Netflix is worthless but you are right about the titles being older. For the 8 bucks a month its still not a bad deal. I think its more comparable to something like Movie Central (a movie channel) than an actual "rent movies" type of idea though.

Two options you could consider would be an xbox (or similar) or apple tv. Apple tv will be the cheaper of the two at about $100 or so. In my opinion it also has way more titles than Zune (xbox) as well.

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
 Vancouver Canucks
PostPosted: Sun Jan 01, 2012 1:22 pm

Don't have Bluray yet, probably will get a BluRay drive for my PC, but not my TV. Just don't like watching movies much anymore. Have to psych myself up to sit passively for the 1.5-2.x hours, at least it feels that way. Video games have made me expect some kind of interaction, it seems.

Site Admin
Site Admin
PostPosted: Sun Jan 01, 2012 1:57 pm

I bought a Play Station 3 a few years ago to watch movies with. Works great and can do lots of other entertaining things too. Other than that it's just whatever movie the TV box puts out.

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
PostPosted: Sun Jan 01, 2012 1:59 pm

But where to you get your movies from to play on the play station?

CKA Elite
CKA Elite
 Toronto Maple Leafs
PostPosted: Sun Jan 01, 2012 2:55 pm

The PS3 is pretty good for viewing blu-rays. My biggest complaint on the original PS3 was the fan got pretty f'n loud after a while. The PS3 also hooks you into PSN where you can buy/rent hd/sd movies from a huge catalogue including new releases.

The problem there is: only blu-rays are 1080p and they're getting hard to rent. Rogers stores still exist and that's where I go for them.

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
PostPosted: Sun Jan 01, 2012 3:52 pm

Dayseed Dayseed:
The PS3 is pretty good for viewing blu-rays. My biggest complaint on the original PS3 was the fan got pretty f'n loud after a while. The PS3 also hooks you into PSN where you can buy/rent hd/sd movies from a huge catalogue including new releases.

The problem there is: only blu-rays are 1080p and they're getting hard to rent. Rogers stores still exist and that's where I go for them.

In the lower mainland Rogers are closing all over the place. I wonder how long the rest will remain. Blockbusters is gone. All that's left mostly are small little mom and pop places that can't afford to bring in a lot of titles.

Anybody try the mailorder places where you get CD's in the mail.

What I still don't understand is what all the people who used to rent movies do now - there doesn't seem to be a good source.

CKA Super Elite
CKA Super Elite
PostPosted: Sun Jan 01, 2012 3:53 pm

andyt andyt:
I've heard it both ways on netflix - they certainly don't have the latest releases, which for me was kinda the point of getting the machine, since the movie channels I subscribe to just play the same crap over and over.

Don't want to buy movies.

2012 - forward to the past, where easily available newly released videos are no longer easily available, like it was before video. What happens to all those movies you read about in the paper that sound good - are they not released on CD anymore, and if not doesn't that make a huge cut in movie profitability? And what happened to the demand for that product from consumers?

You'll shell out $6-$8 to rent a movie but wont pay $20, or less, to own it? [huh]

CKA Super Elite
CKA Super Elite
PostPosted: Sun Jan 01, 2012 3:59 pm

To me there are two types of movie goers:

1) People who are escapists and watch movies for entertainment,

2) People who watch movies because they love film.

When I buy a movie it usually because I know I will watch it several times, and I thoroughly love listening to Director/Cast/Crew commentary as well as behind the scene features you dont get when you watch netflix.

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
PostPosted: Sun Jan 01, 2012 4:00 pm

Personally. I buy the ones I really want to watch, download the ones I'm mildly interested in but don't want to pay for in case they're crap, and then I use Netflix.

CKA Super Elite
CKA Super Elite
PostPosted: Sun Jan 01, 2012 4:02 pm

andyt andyt:
What I still don't understand is what all the people who used to rent movies do now - there doesn't seem to be a good source.

My parents use torrents, netflix or buy them.

CKA Elite
CKA Elite
PostPosted: Sun Jan 01, 2012 4:12 pm

I get all from blu ray movies off the net, there are available the sameday that a blu ray version is released anywhere in the world and sometimes sooner. I would buy the discs but they are way over priced here and hopeless selections, its actually easier to buy from Amazon and have them shipped here than to buy localy. I looked all over the pace but the concept of Blu Ray rentals hasn't arrived here yet it seems.

Anyway I you don't mind the "torrent" thing and have a fast line, unlimited and no throttle network, than the interwebz would be your best bet. For me its usenet, maxes out your connection speed. Its not uncommon for me to download 40GB uncompressed Blu Ray rips. Takes about a night to D/L at 1 megabyte/sec

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
PostPosted: Sun Jan 01, 2012 4:45 pm

andyt andyt:
Dayseed Dayseed:

In the lower mainland Rogers are closing all over the place. I wonder how long the rest will remain. Blockbusters is gone. All that's left mostly are small little mom and pop places that can't afford to bring in a lot of titles.

Anybody try the mailorder places where you get CD's in the mail.

Rogers is closing down.

It's not widely known, but they pulled all gift cards from non-Rogers retailers (Shoppers Drug Mart, etc) as they plan to close.

Renting movies from a store will be gone within 2 years...On Demand or buying directly from a store will be how to get movies.

I just download them all and watch them through either my LG or Asus media player....or the PS3.