Author Topic Options
CKA Super Elite
CKA Super Elite
 Toronto Maple Leafs
PostPosted: Fri May 24, 2019 7:13 am

DrCaleb wrote:
xerxes wrote:
llama66 wrote:
On a serious note. Radiation Poisoning would fucking suuuuuuuccccccckkkkk.

Oh it totally would. All of the people who were working at the reactor were dead within a month, save for one guy.And it wasn't a quick death.

It was a pretty good series though. I knew most of the details already, but it was good to see they took the piece seriously. Even down to Soviet era diving masks, phones, cars, busses . . .!

Typical 'Russian' piece though. Russians like sacrifice, especially heroic sacrifice for the common good. And there definitely was a lot of that. :cry:

I like the part where Legasov asks something like "Is this how things are done? Some uninformed, unqualified party member makes an arbitrary decision that will cost millions of people their lives?"

I absolutely love the series. I knew quite a bit about the disaster too, but there is something about *seeing* it on the little screen that makes it all the more chilling.

The thing that floors me is the ineptitude of the Soviets.

CKA Moderator
CKA Moderator
PostPosted: Fri May 24, 2019 7:25 am

llama66 wrote:

I went to Leningrad and Moscow when it was still the Soviet Union. I was not surprised in the least. I am actually more surprised at the progress they did make, despite the obvious flaws that they deliberately put in their own way.

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
PostPosted: Fri May 24, 2019 8:05 am

Quote:
On a serious note. Radiation Poisoning would fucking suuuuuuuccccccckkkkk.

Oh it totally would. All of the people who were working at the reactor were dead within a month, save for one guy.And it wasn't a quick death.
Quote:
I absolutely love the series. I knew quite a bit about the disaster too, but there is something about *seeing* it on the little screen that makes it all the more chilling.

Same here. I watched a show on it some years ago called Zero Hour (the episode is on YouTube for those interested) but seeing it dramatized is something else.

And yeah the ineptitude is galling. The Chernobyl disaster is is essentially a metaphor for the rot at the core of the Soviet Union, and just like the reactor, the explosion laid bare to everyone just how bad things were.

Edit: poor formatting and to add the vid

Thing that also blows me away is that the one guy in the control room survived all that fatal radiation and lived to 1995. I'm surprised the Soviets didn't dissect him to discover his superpowers/

Last edited by xerxes on Fri May 24, 2019 6:19 pm, edited 2 times in total.

CKA Super Elite
CKA Super Elite
 Toronto Maple Leafs
PostPosted: Fri May 24, 2019 8:12 am

Quote:
The Chernobyl disaster is is essentially a metaphor for the rot at the core of the Soviet Union,

Absolutely. Officially the death toll was 56... but how many thousands died early as a result of this disaster?

CKA Super Elite
CKA Super Elite
 Toronto Maple Leafs
PostPosted: Tue May 28, 2019 6:36 am

Last night's episode was fairly chilling. I was riveted when they sent in the "bio-robots". 56 dead my ass.

CKA Super Elite
CKA Super Elite
 Toronto Maple Leafs
PostPosted: Tue May 28, 2019 6:36 am

Also, check out the Hot Zone, it's about Ebola starring Ser Davos.

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
 Vancouver Canucks

GROUP_AVATAR
PostPosted: Thu May 30, 2019 12:11 pm

Sorry guys. Checked my YouTube subscriptions this morning and there are too many classics to ignore. Gotta share:

CKA Moderator
CKA Moderator
 Vancouver Canucks

GROUP_AVATAR
PostPosted: Thu May 30, 2019 1:38 pm

DrCaleb wrote:
llama66 wrote:

I went to Leningrad and Moscow when it was still the Soviet Union. I was not surprised in the least. I am actually more surprised at the progress they did make, despite the obvious flaws that they deliberately put in their own way.

I got to make a trip to the USSR back in the day and was utterly shocked by the poverty and shortages.

The only thing that ever seemed to be widely available was cheap vodka for about three rubles per the liter. And that shit was awful!! I had a couple shots and got the most wicked headache from it.

The issue with the ineptitude is this torpor or lethargy combined with that special brand of dark Russian fatalism where they don't even try to improve things because they've resigned themselves that some other Russian will fuck it up for them.

And they're usually right. :|

CKA Moderator
CKA Moderator
PostPosted: Fri May 31, 2019 5:21 am

Letterkenny.

Never really watched it. Decided the Crave subscription should get some use between Star Trek seasons.

Pretty sure the actor that plays 'Wayne' is related to my Dad. 8) They look identical, when my dad was that age, right down to the red hair. And Dad grew up in Central Ontario, so there might be a cuckoo in a nest somewhere. ;)

There's gunna be a scrap!

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
 Vancouver Canucks
PostPosted: Fri May 31, 2019 5:57 am

DrCaleb wrote:
Letterkenny.

Never really watched it. Decided the Crave subscription should get some use between Star Trek seasons.

Pretty sure the actor that plays 'Wayne' is related to my Dad. 8) They look identical, when my dad was that age, right down to the red hair. And Dad grew up in Central Ontario, so there might be a cuckoo in a nest somewhere. ;)

YES! Someone other Than Llama to get the references!

PITTER PATTER

CKA Moderator
CKA Moderator
PostPosted: Fri May 31, 2019 6:03 am

Tricks wrote:
DrCaleb wrote:
Letterkenny.

YES! Someone other Than Llama to get the references!

PITTER PATTER

Sooo, you were chatting with some guys on the internet the other day . . .

CKA Super Elite
CKA Super Elite
 Toronto Maple Leafs
PostPosted: Fri May 31, 2019 6:12 am

To be fair, it is a great show.

CKA Moderator
CKA Moderator
PostPosted: Fri May 31, 2019 6:15 am

CKA Super Elite
CKA Super Elite
 Toronto Maple Leafs
PostPosted: Fri May 31, 2019 6:18 am

My roomate the other day was like "it's 11:11, make a wish", I replied with "I wish you weren't so fucking awkward, bud". He's never seen Letterkenny, so it was funnier for me.

CKA Moderator
CKA Moderator
PostPosted: Fri May 31, 2019 6:21 am

"I made your mom come so hard the National Film Board is going to make a Heritage Moment out of it."

"Fuck off Shoresy!"

Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 1345 posts ]  Previous  1 ... 82  83  84  85  86  87  88 ... 90  Next