Canadian Forums

Author Topic Options
CKA Uber
CKA Uber
 Vancouver Canucks

GROUP_AVATAR
PostPosted: Mon Nov 04, 2019 11:11 am

xerxes wrote:
Or... people didn’t want to watch another Terminator rehash. The return of Cameron and Hamilton notwithstanding.

I get it and the fact fans of the franchise were screaming against its obvious need to be woke from the moment they released the first promotion poster was just coincidence.

Very well now explain why Batwoman was the lowest rated opening of what they call the "Arrowverse" in the history of the franchise and why the Batwoman ratings continue to plummet:

https://tvseriesfinale.com/tv-show/batw ... e-ratings/

Now it's true it isn't just woke garbage. It's garbage on a lot of different levels but why do these 2 things keep going together? It's almost like the type who keep insisting this priority of being woke is going to work when all evidence keeps telling them it doesn't for some reason believe the woke priority trumps success.

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
PostPosted: Mon Nov 04, 2019 2:47 pm

So here we are back to the usual incel argument. Strong female characters are bad so anything short of a smashing success is their fault.

Linda Hamilton was in the first two Terminators playing a strong woman in both and they were both huge hits. So is the problem Mackenzie Davis playing some augmented human (I have t see the movie yet so I don’t know what her characters deal is)? Or is the problem the new John Connor who is now a Latina for some reason? You would think the fact that Mackenzie Davis usually engages in on screen lesbianism would excite the incels.

And as for Batwoman? It’s ratings are shit because the show is shit. If Batwoman is bad because the lead is a woman, then by that logic Supergirl is doing so well because of the female lead.

If “woke” means having a strong female character, then that criticism has no weight to it, not that it ever did.

CKA Uber
CKA Uber

GROUP_AVATAR
PostPosted: Mon Nov 04, 2019 3:43 pm

N_Fiddledog wrote:
Get Woke, Go Broke: ‘Terminator: Dark Fate’ Bombs At The Box Office

Quote:
The still yet to be disproven axiom “get woke, go broke” chalked up another win for itself this weekend with the underwhelming box office performance of the ultra-feminist “Terminator: Dark Fate.”

Despite the return of producer James Cameron and the reunion of Linda Hamilton and Arnold Schwarzenegger, Forbes reports that the sci-fi action sequel pulled in a horrific $10.6 million on Friday and is now tracking for a lousy $27 million opening weekend on an inflated budget of $185 million (not including another $100 million in marketing costs). That makes it the lowest profiting “Terminator” in the franchise’s history.

Forbes has more:

Terminator: Dark Fate faced judgment day once again yesterday, earning just $10.6 million on Friday. The sci-fi sequel … was the third attempt to revive the Terminator series in a decade. McG’s Terminator: Salvation, a future war sequel starring Christian Bale, earned just $125 million domestic and $375 million on a $200 million budget. Alan Taylor’s Terminator: Genisys, a time-twisting retcon that paired Schwarzenegger with Emilia Clarke and Jai Courtney, earned $89 million domestic and $441 million worldwide on a $155 million budget, including $113 million in China.

So, how did this happen? How could one of the most beloved sci-fi action franchises in movie history become such a flop? According to Society Reviews, “Terminator: Dark Fate” flips everything people loved about Sarah Connor’s story on its head in the name of third-wave feminism, rendering the events of T1 and T2 meaningless

https://www.dailywire.com/news/get-woke ... ox-office/

OK, that's movies but if you like we can talk Batwoman or Mrs. Doctor Who for the same result.

All the man babies crying about 'Get Woke, Go broke' need to realize that Terminator has ALWAYS been about a strong female protagonist, Sarah Connor.

In the first, she fights back and says, "You're terminated fucker." when she crushes it in the press. In T2, she is a hardcore badass who breaks out of prison, fights the T-1000, and acts like a Terminator herself when she goes after Miles Dyson.

I watched Dark Fate on Friday and Mackenzie Davis was incredible in the time-travelling saviour role.

And it's a got a better score on Rotten Tomatoes then every other sequel after T2: 69% on the TomatoMeter and 84% from audiences.

https://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/terminator_dark_fate

CKA Moderator
CKA Moderator
PostPosted: Tue Nov 05, 2019 6:46 am

I'm loving Mr. Robot right now. That last episode was some sort of Emmy winner. On par with one episode of Buffy, when her mom died.

Two sentences were spoken through the entire episode. Yet, the plot and dialog were clear. 8)

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
 Vancouver Canucks
PostPosted: Tue Nov 05, 2019 8:38 am

DrCaleb wrote:
I'm loving Mr. Robot right now. That last episode was some sort of Emmy winner. On par with one episode of Buffy, when her mom died.

Two sentences were spoken through the entire episode. Yet, the plot and dialog were clear. 8)

Yes! I just watched it and came here to say that. Quite possibly one of the best shows made ever. What an outstanding piece of television.

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
 Vancouver Canucks

GROUP_AVATAR
PostPosted: Tue Nov 05, 2019 10:39 am

I was scanning through the channels and I saw 'His Dark Materials' listed.

"OMG 8O " I thought. They're serializing that for television? I read that trilogy of novels. It was among my favorites.

Checked it out. Not bad so far. Staying pretty close to the book as I remember it. I want to see what happens when we get past the part that was covered in that previous movie though. That's when things are most likely to go wrong. The plot gets intricate and the likability of characters gets challenged.

As to this idea that only incels notice the suckage in a work prioritizing the wokeness of social justiceyness and identity politics...well, that's nonsense. Good luck selling that one when the correlation between snowflake friendly and garbage fiction gets more and more obvious to anybody capable of noticing - regardless of ideological programming. Especially when we keep seeing more and more examples of 'get woke, go broke.' It going to get harder to demand people ignore the obvious.

CKA Moderator
CKA Moderator
PostPosted: Tue Nov 12, 2019 9:27 am

I'm loving "Ghost In The Shell SAC 2nd Gig".

Until recently, I had no idea there was a second series of it!

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
 Vancouver Canucks

GROUP_AVATAR
PostPosted: Tue Nov 12, 2019 4:07 pm

The Disney channel will be censoring Walt's classics on its new Disney plus streaming channel and this bright young woman below doesn't think it's a good idea:

CKA Moderator
CKA Moderator
PostPosted: Tue Nov 19, 2019 7:45 am

Soon!

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
 Vancouver Canucks

GROUP_AVATAR
PostPosted: Tue Nov 19, 2019 2:11 pm

bootlegga wrote:
And it's a got a better score on Rotten Tomatoes then every other sequel after T2: 69% on the TomatoMeter and 84% from audiences.

https://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/terminator_dark_fate

Yeah, there's something fishy about the audience scores at Rotten Tomatoes lately.

It started after the Captain Marvel fiasco at RT. If you remember that one, RT couldn't control all the bad audience scores even by deleting tens of thousands of bad audience reviews.

So after that they passed a new rule that only members who could produce evidence of buying a ticket could rate a movie.

Strange things started happening. Box office bombs like Terminator: Dark Fate or the recent Charlie Angels mega-bomb were getting good audience comments and numbers.

There's a kind of open secret theory that says movie companies will buy tickets on opening weekend to make people think the movie is more popular than it is. What seems to be happening now is those companies fixing the numbers with bought tickets are now voting as audience members.

Critic scores are meaningless. They've always been fixed or moved by political ideology.

Below are the scores from Metacritic for Terminator: Dark Fate. Why does the audience there seem to think the film sucked, do you think?

Attachments:
Metacritic scores 4 Terminator DF.JPG
Metacritic scores 4 Terminator DF.JPG [ 24.57 KiB | Viewed 2 times ]
CKA Uber
CKA Uber
 Toronto Maple Leafs
PostPosted: Wed Nov 20, 2019 6:44 pm

Netflix is awesome.... we are binge watching How I Met Your Mother

Such a funny show

CKA Moderator
CKA Moderator
PostPosted: Thu Nov 21, 2019 6:55 am

Tricks wrote:
DrCaleb wrote:

Yes! I just watched it and came here to say that. Quite possibly one of the best shows made ever. What an outstanding piece of television.

That last episode was pretty good too. S4E5 - 405 "Method not accepted".

6 people, 2 rooms. That's the whole episode. Turned out different than I expected, but not too different.

CKA Uber
CKA Uber

GROUP_AVATAR
PostPosted: Thu Nov 21, 2019 10:00 am

I can't wait - Zombie Drama 'Black Summer' Renewed for Season 2 on Netflix

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/live- ... ix-1256578

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
 Vancouver Canucks

GROUP_AVATAR
PostPosted: Thu Nov 21, 2019 1:49 pm

bootlegga wrote:
I can't wait - Zombie Drama 'Black Summer' Renewed for Season 2 on Netflix

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/live- ... ix-1256578

Just looked it up. I have to check that one out.

Didn't love Z Nation, but it was watchable enough that I'll check out a spinoff.

Black Summer, in the setup of a women looking for her daughter during a Zombie apocalypse reminds me of the first season of Van Helsing but I imagine there's more to it. Also, that's not diss. I'm a Van Helsing fan.

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
 Vancouver Canucks

GROUP_AVATAR
PostPosted: Fri Nov 22, 2019 1:06 am

This new TV series from the Star Wars verse - The Mandalorian - look like it's going to be pretty good.

I've just seen episode 1 though.

Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 1380 posts ]  Previous  1 ... 88  89  90  91  92