CKA Forums
Login 
canadian forums
bottom
 
 
Canadian Forums

Author Topic Options
Offline
CKA Moderator
CKA Moderator
User avatar
Profile
Posts: 37141
PostPosted: Wed Jan 15, 2020 12:53 pm
 


PBS Nature: The Whale Detective.

Awesome show! Guy gets body slammed by a 30 ton whale, wonders why he didn't die. (note the big smile afterwards!) Searches to find out where the whale is now. Hilarity ensues. And some pretty tender moments. :cry: Whales are pretty amazing people.



Offline
CKA Moderator
CKA Moderator
User avatar
Profile
Posts: 37141
PostPosted: Thu Jan 23, 2020 7:56 am
 


IHMO, one of the few good stories in the small screen Star Wars realm.




Offline
CKA Uber
CKA Uber
 Calgary Flames
User avatar
Profile
Posts: 30009
PostPosted: Thu Jan 23, 2020 1:47 pm
 


bootlegga wrote:
I can't wait - Zombie Drama 'Black Summer' Renewed for Season 2 on Netflix

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/live- ... ix-1256578


Yeah. For something spawned off of Z-Nation, Black Summer was surprisingly not horrible. I binge-watched all the episodes in one sitting a few months back and it was well worth the effort. I still like Walking Dead but they could sure use a lesson from Black Summer on maximizing the action and minimizing the dramatics.

* The Witcher was tolerable but that was mostly due to Henry Cavill. The guy must be massive in real life because when he had the fighting gear on he looked as big as the house. They did the battles and sword fights quite well. The overall costuming was terrific. The general FX were OK. But the CGI with the dragon was quite hokey IMO, like a video game running on Windows 98. The story was a bit too up and down, with not much effort spent on explaining why this world is the way it is. That's where they failed, in comparison to Game of Thrones or LOTR. They've been given a second season so hopefully they got a budget increase to go along with it to make the necessary improvements to take the show from merely okay to actually good.

* This one is terrific:



It's basically the better aspects of True Detective combined with an actual supernatural threat. Good background story accompanied by very good acting. This is the format that Stephen King works should only be done in because movies and three-ep mini-series just don't do the story justice. Highly recommended.


Offline
CKA Uber
CKA Uber
User avatar
Profile
Posts: 16848
PostPosted: Fri Jan 31, 2020 6:16 pm
 


Coming in March.



Offline
CKA Uber
CKA Uber
 Calgary Flames
User avatar
Profile
Posts: 30009
PostPosted: Sat Feb 01, 2020 12:11 am
 


Picard completely and totally kicks ass. Discovery should take note that you can do a new Trek series without resorting to non-stop preaching.


Offline
CKA Uber
CKA Uber
 Vancouver Canucks


GROUP_AVATAR
User avatar
Profile
Posts: 26052
PostPosted: Sat Feb 01, 2020 1:01 am
 


Thanos wrote:
* The Witcher was tolerable but that was mostly due to Henry Cavill. The guy must be massive in real life because when he had the fighting gear on he looked as big as the house. They did the battles and sword fights quite well. The overall costuming was terrific. The general FX were OK. But the CGI with the dragon was quite hokey IMO, like a video game running on Windows 98. The story was a bit too up and down, with not much effort spent on explaining why this world is the way it is. That's where they failed, in comparison to Game of Thrones or LOTR. They've been given a second season so hopefully they got a budget increase to go along with it to make the necessary improvements to take the show from merely okay to actually good.


I was like you with The Witcher - up and down, back and forth. Stuff I liked, even liked a lot, followed by stuff that didn't work for me.

But at the end when Geralt and Ciri finally found each other I was kind of shaking the remote and saying, "Hey what happened? Where'd my show go?"

I really want to know what happens next. I'm # 3 on hold at the library for the novel that's supposed to tell me.


Offline
CKA Moderator
CKA Moderator
User avatar
Profile
Posts: 37141
PostPosted: Sat Feb 01, 2020 10:28 am
 


Thanos wrote:
Picard completely and totally kicks ass. Discovery should take note that you can do a new Trek series without resorting to non-stop preaching.


I don't know about 'kicking ass' but it definitely is interesting.

I also like where this season of Doctor Who is going. They've returned to the roots of the show, which was meant to teach people about history by going to certain historical events. And of course, history from other planets and future history got thrown in for some variety.

And Captain Jack is back. :)


Offline
CKA Uber
CKA Uber
 Vancouver Canucks


GROUP_AVATAR
User avatar
Profile
Posts: 26052
PostPosted: Sat Feb 01, 2020 10:48 am
 


DrCaleb wrote:
I also like where this season of Doctor Who is going. They've returned to the roots of the show, which was meant to teach people about history by going to certain historical events. And of course, history from other planets and future history got thrown in for some variety.

And Captain Jack is back. :)


You're the one, are you? The last holdout. Or at least one of the last holdouts who won't desert the sinking ship. I hear most viewers are deserting this current incarnation of Doctor Who in droves.

The way I heard it the "writers" are not so much returning to the roots as retconning the series - which means they're rewriting the canon, turning it into something different. For example I hear they're telling us now that we were all wrong about who the original Doctor Who was. NO. Apparently the real original Doctor was an overweight, black women. I'm surprised she wasn't also a midget in a wheel-chair.

It's not so much a revisiting of traditional Who as a rewriting of it. Although they do let old characters do walk-ons from what I hear. I hear they're going to be screwing around with the Cybermen next episode. I imagine you'll have to be calling them Cyber-People after that one though.

It's no surprise they'd bring back the gay guy. He might be the only one that gets to keep his original character.


Offline
CKA Uber
CKA Uber
 Calgary Flames
User avatar
Profile
Posts: 30009
PostPosted: Sat Feb 01, 2020 3:59 pm
 


DrCaleb wrote:
Thanos wrote:
Picard completely and totally kicks ass. Discovery should take note that you can do a new Trek series without resorting to non-stop preaching.


I don't know about 'kicking ass' but it definitely is interesting.


Picard is Star Trek for those who believe in progress, and doing the right thing, and the need to be patient sometimes.

Discovery is Star Trek for the "woke", who want everything now, and want people alive today to pay through the nose for the sins and crimes of their ancestors generations ago, and who get off destroying people on Twitter for saying "wrong" things.

It's a generational thing apparently. Not the Boomers this time. More like Gen X vs the more annoying members of the Millenials and the Gen Z cyber-kids who do their crusading via a smart phone.


Offline
CKA Moderator
CKA Moderator
User avatar
Profile
Posts: 37141
PostPosted: Sat Feb 01, 2020 4:32 pm
 


Thanos wrote:
DrCaleb wrote:
Thanos wrote:
Picard completely and totally kicks ass. Discovery should take note that you can do a new Trek series without resorting to non-stop preaching.


I don't know about 'kicking ass' but it definitely is interesting.


Picard is Star Trek for those who believe in progress, and doing the right thing, and the need to be patient sometimes.


No disagreement from me. But it's still young. Let's see where it goes.

Thanos wrote:
Discovery is Star Trek for the "woke", who want everything now, and want people alive today to pay through the nose for the sins and crimes of their ancestors generations ago, and who get off destroying people on Twitter for saying "wrong" things.


Can't speak about the twits, but I think Discovery is the Wild West, before TOS. Before the Federation was feared, when the rules were still being written. We always have to know where we came from to know where we are going.


Offline
CKA Uber
CKA Uber
 Calgary Flames
User avatar
Profile
Posts: 30009
PostPosted: Sat Feb 01, 2020 4:37 pm
 


It's not that. If I hear Michael Burnham do another speech of "why we are hear, why we are doing this" I'll probably scream. It's not the stories or the acting and for the most part the characters have been great, it's some of the dialogue they're being given to say. Star Trek is naturally inspirational by itself with the built in dream of real equality and humanity finally moving past pettiness and greed. It doesn't need a MLK moment in every episode to get the point across. It's not full-blown virtue signalling that they're deliberately doing but it's coming across as something not too far away from it.


Offline
CKA Moderator
CKA Moderator
 Vancouver Canucks


GROUP_AVATAR
User avatar
Profile
Posts: 12315
PostPosted: Sat Feb 01, 2020 6:08 pm
 


Thanos wrote:
Picard completely and totally kicks ass. Discovery should take note that you can do a new Trek series without resorting to non-stop preaching.

Oooooo...good to know. We have the first 2 episodes recorded but for some reason have been behind in catching up on a few shows we record. I'm on days off now so we'll probably watch them in the next couple days. I've been looking forward to it since I first saw the ads for it.


Offline
CKA Moderator
CKA Moderator
User avatar
Profile
Posts: 37141
PostPosted: Wed Feb 05, 2020 7:34 am
 


Image


Offline
CKA Uber
CKA Uber
 Vancouver Canucks


GROUP_AVATAR
User avatar
Profile
Posts: 26052
PostPosted: Wed Feb 05, 2020 8:44 am
 


^ So true.

On board with Picard, so far. If it was a book it would be a page-turner.

Speaking of books, I can tip you to something, T. My turn finally came up for a Witcher book from the Library. I'm not too far in yet, but far enough I can tell you one thing. This guy can write.

Kind of reminds me of when I was a kid and discovered the Conan series. The Robert E Howard series, not the crappy things that followed.

This Witcher guy though; he brings the characters and the world to life.


Offline
CKA Uber
CKA Uber
User avatar
Profile
Posts: 16848
PostPosted: Wed Feb 05, 2020 11:58 am
 


DrCaleb wrote:
Image


So true. At least with Disney, they have the catalogue and financial resources to justify a subscription. Same with Netflix. But with CBS, NBC, et al splintering off to make their own streaming services, I don't see how that's going to be viable in the long term.


Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 1507 posts ]  Previous  1 ... 90  91  92  93  94  95  96 ... 101  Next



Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest




 
     
All logos and trademarks in this site are property of their respective owner.
The comments are property of their posters, all the rest © Canadaka.net. Powered by © phpBB.