canadian forums
bottom

Canadian Forums

Author Topic Options
CKA Moderator
CKA Moderator
PostPosted: Wed Feb 05, 2020 12:30 pm

xerxes wrote:
So true. At least with Disney, they have the catalogue and financial resources to justify a subscription. Same with Netflix. But with CBS, NBC, et al splintering off to make their own streaming services, I don't see how that's going to be viable in the long term.

This article was also well timed. tl;dr, AT&T is keeping things like Friends or Big Bang Theory or Pretty Little Liars off Netflix specifically to boost it's own streaming service.

AT&T is doing exactly what it told Congress it wouldn’t do with Time Warner

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
 Vancouver Canucks

GROUP_AVATAR
PostPosted: Thu Feb 13, 2020 4:20 pm

N_Fiddledog wrote:
DrCaleb wrote:
I also like where this season of Doctor Who is going. They've returned to the roots of the show, which was meant to teach people about history by going to certain historical events. And of course, history from other planets and future history got thrown in for some variety.

You're the one, are you? The last holdout. Or at least one of the last holdouts who won't desert the sinking ship. I hear most viewers are deserting this current incarnation of Doctor Who in droves.

More on that:

CKA Uber
CKA Uber

GROUP_AVATAR
PostPosted: Thu Feb 13, 2020 6:05 pm

Not bad, a bit of a different take on the normal body snatcher stories.

CKA Moderator
CKA Moderator
PostPosted: Fri Feb 14, 2020 6:21 am

This season of Vikings was . . . 8O

CKA Uber
CKA Uber

GROUP_AVATAR
PostPosted: Fri Feb 14, 2020 11:30 am

I'm a couple episodes in on V-Wars, and it's been interesting so far:

CKA Uber
CKA Uber

GROUP_AVATAR
PostPosted: Fri Feb 14, 2020 12:53 pm

bootlegga wrote:
I'm a couple episodes in on V-Wars, and it's been interesting so far:

Started to watch it but it started becoming to much like Van Helsing. I keep thinking maybe I should go back and finish it off since there's nothing else really worth watching that we haven't seen.

CKA Moderator
CKA Moderator
PostPosted: Thu Mar 05, 2020 7:07 am

Review: Jodie Whittaker’s Time Lord returns to classic Doctor Who form

Also, "Homeland" is once again getting scarily close to reality while still being fictional enough to be fantasy.

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
 Vancouver Canucks

GROUP_AVATAR
PostPosted: Thu Mar 05, 2020 10:59 am

DrCaleb wrote:

It's good that you and yours have something you like but somebody needs to point out that the reason there's still a Doctor Who is because the BBC forces the British to pay a licensing fee. This way they can make you watch what they want you to see not what most viewers would ever want to watch.

Doctor Who ratings have tanked and YouTube is filled with videos from actual fans outraged at what Chibnall and his no-talent crew are force-feeding the fandom.

These below are all from my YouTube scroll this morning:

To put it another way - in the graphic below from Rotten Tomatoes, Doc would be represented by what they call the Tomatometer or what woke critics require you to think. I would be represented by the audience score. Although personally I think it's a little too high.

CKA Uber
CKA Uber

GROUP_AVATAR
PostPosted: Thu Mar 05, 2020 11:36 am

N_Fiddledog wrote:
DrCaleb wrote:

It's good that you and yours have something you like but somebody needs to point out that the reason there's still a Doctor Who is because the BBC forces the British to pay a licensing fee. This way they can make you watch what they want you to see not what most viewers would ever want to watch.

Doctor Who ratings have tanked and YouTube is filled with videos from actual fans outraged at what Chibnall and his no-talent crew are force-feeding the fandom.

These below are all from my YouTube scroll this morning:

To put it another way - in the graphic below from Rotten Tomatoes, Doc would be represented by what they call the Tomatometer or what woke critics require you to think. I would be represented by the audience score. Although personally I think it's a little too high.

It's pretty hilarious to note that this once stellar TV series now has a lower rating than such classics TV series as Mulaney or Iron Fist. ROTFL

It's also interesting to note that the new PC Dr Who may have even had a lower score than the 17% it appears to have received.

Quote:
Rotten Tomatoes is once again being accused of removing reviews, this time for Doctor Who, and doctoring the Audience Score.

The movie review aggregate site owned by Comcast's Fandango and run by a former exec at Disney has been accused of similar behavior for Captain Marvel and Disney Star Wars.

Season 12 for Doctor Who is currently the lowest-rated season for the show by fans at Rotten Tomatoes with a 13% Audience Score.

https://cosmicbook.news/doctor-who-rott ... ng-reviews

And yet the power players who make Movies and TV will do nothing to remedy their own hubris because, it's apparently better to be perceived as a failure than to admit that altering something to meet a political agenda almost always ends in folly, especially when it involves forcing feeding pap to a once docile, happy, but very astute audience who can see right through your motives.

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
PostPosted: Fri Mar 06, 2020 6:40 pm

This is more like TV I'm going to watch:

'The Last of Us' Series in the Works at HBO From 'Chernobyl' Creator Craig Mazin, Neil Druckmann (Exclusive)

Quote:
Craig Mazin, the creator of the acclaimed limited series Chernobyl, is reteaming with HBO to adapt the hit video game The Last of Us.

In a rare development in the world of video game adaptations, the writer and creative director of the game, Neil Druckmann, is also involved and will work with Mazin to pen and executive produce what is intended to be a series.

Carolyn Strauss will also executive produce along with Evan Wells, president of Naughty Dog, the Santa Monica-based developer of the game. The project is a co-production with Sony Pictures Television in association with PlayStation Productions. It will be the first television series from PlayStation Productions.

Sony and Naughty Dog's The Last of Us, which bowed in 2013, garnered critical praise for its engrossing tale of the post-apocalypse, centering on the relationship between Joel, a smuggler in this new world, and Ellie, a teenager who may be key to a cure for a deadly pandemic. Joel, a hardened survivor, is hired to smuggle the 14-year-old girl out of an oppressive quarantine zone. What starts as a small job soon becomes a brutal, heartbreaking journey as they traverse the U.S. and depend on each other for survival.

The HBO series will cover the events of the original game, which was written by Druckmann, with the possibility of additional content based on the forthcoming game sequel, The Last of Us Part II, which is set to released May 29.

"Neil Druckmann is without question the finest storyteller working in the video game medium, and The Last of Us is his magnum opus," Mazin said Thursday in a statement. "Getting a chance to adapt this breathtaking work of art has been a dream of mine for years, and I'm so honored to do it in partnership with Neil."

"From the first time I sat down to talk with Craig I was equally blown away by his approach to narrative and his love and deep understanding of The Last of Us," said Druckmann. "With Chernobyl, Craig and HBO created a tense, harrowing, emotional masterpiece. I couldn't think of better partners to bring the story of The Last of Us to life as a television show."

The Last of Us won numerous "game of the year" awards and went on to sell more than 17 million copies across both its original release on the PlayStation 3 and a remastered version on PlayStation 4.

"This is an incredibly exciting opportunity for us to partner with Craig, Neil, Carolyn and the teams at Sony, Naughty Dog and PlayStation to bring the virtual world of this acclaimed game to life," said HBO programming president Casey Bloys.

"This is the first of many shows we intend to develop with our friends at PlayStation Productions," said Chris Parnell, co-president of Sony Pictures Television Studios. "The Last of Us is a brilliant achievement in storytelling and character development, and we are lucky to have the opportunity to work with this team to adapt it."

Druckmann is a longtime vet of Naughty Dog, having started as a programming intern in 2004. In 2007, he was given the role of game designer on Uncharted: Drake's Fortune, the first installment in the Uncharted action-adventure series. In 2013, Druckmann created The Last of Us, based on a concept he developed as a student at Carnegie Mellon University.

This is great news. There's been talk of a movie adaptation of The Last of US for years but it's been stuck in development hell with director changes and script rewrites and the other usual BS.

But to have the writer of Chernobyl and the writer of the game from Naughty Dog teaming to make a series for HBO? I'm there. I'm waiting with on pins and needles already.

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
 Vancouver Canucks

GROUP_AVATAR
PostPosted: Sun Mar 08, 2020 2:48 am

The first 3 minutes of this one below tells you everything you need to know about what happened to Doctor Who. Funny because it's true.

CKA Moderator
CKA Moderator
PostPosted: Sun Mar 08, 2020 9:29 am

Freakinoldguy wrote:
It's pretty hilarious to note that this once stellar TV series now has a lower rating than such classics TV series as Mulaney or Iron Fist. ROTFL

Once stellar? Sorry FOG, I have to disagree. I've been a fan nearly since the series began, in the 1960's. It's always been far reaching and far beyond any other series on TV. Unique scripts, unique stories, B movie effects. ;)

I recently re-watched some old Tom Baker series, and he was thought to be the greatest Doctor of the time. It was shit. He comes off now as a huge dick, pompous and arrogant. But back then, I loved him. Peter Davidsons' Doctor was hilarious. Now he seems childish.

People are judging Doctor Who in the mirror of Game of Thrones or other shows. It's what they've come to expect. Doctor Who has never been that, never meant to be. It was started as a way to teach children history. It morphed into something else.

This new Doctor has had some missteps, for certain. But the writer and creator who has been with the show for decades has left, and the new team is still getting their legs. There also have been some pretty decent stories interrupted by the sketchy ones, and once the new writers and producers figure it out, I think it's going to set it up to be amazing.

This new Master intrigues me. :)

CKA Elite
CKA Elite
PostPosted: Sun Mar 08, 2020 9:29 am

Dexter

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
 Vancouver Canucks

GROUP_AVATAR
PostPosted: Sun Mar 08, 2020 11:09 am

Game of Thrones might not be as bad a comparison as Doc suggests either. The final season and especially the Finale of that one was also crap. In fact it also flipped the series into the stinky toilet so hard you'll never take the series seriously again. I can't even watch reruns of the good early episodes anymore.

Doctor Who is dead. The BBC and the woke just don't know it yet.

CKA Uber
CKA Uber

GROUP_AVATAR
PostPosted: Sun Mar 08, 2020 11:49 am

PostFactum wrote:
Dexter

Good to see you're still alive and well. We hadn't hear from you in awhile. [B-o]

Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 1507 posts ]  Previous  1 ... 91  92  93  94  95  96  97 ... 101  Next