canadian forums
bottom

Canadian Forums

Author Topic Options
CKA Uber
CKA Uber
PostPosted: Fri Mar 27, 2020 4:07 pm

Thanos wrote:
I liked it when the Romulan commander ordered their fleet to target for "planetary sterilization pattern 5". What, this means that they've got at least another four full-sterilization patterns ready to go at a moment's notice? Good ol' Romulans. They're basically Star Trek's version of how Emperor Palpatine runs things. Always among the most reliably psychotic totalitarians ever encountered. :lol:

Didn't like the super-synthetics that were coming through the portal. Don't know why "monstrous tentacles" seems to be the go-to imagery for so many sci-fi baddies. Would have been much more interesting if they'd been like the Ori from Stargate, with just a massive total-supremacy ship of some kind, one that would even dwarf a Borg cube. Keeps them on an understandable level.

That's the exact thing I thought. There are other planetary sterilization plans?

I thought the would be synthetic annihilators were going to be akin to the Reapers from Mass Effect.

I'm curious where they're going to go in the second season. Will the synths still be a problem? Is Picard going to go back to Starfleet?

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
 Vancouver Canucks

GROUP_AVATAR
PostPosted: Fri Mar 27, 2020 4:08 pm

Thanos wrote:
1.73 fanboy losers whining like children because the girl they'd spent eight years rubbing one out to in their fantasies turned out to be the greatest c*******r of them all.

C'mon man, be honest. There was a lot more wrong with that finale than the writers' faulty exegesis of Daenerys, from Mhysa to "Burn them all!"

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
PostPosted: Fri Mar 27, 2020 4:09 pm

Thanos wrote:
1.73 fanboy losers whining like children because the girl they'd spent eight years rubbing one out to in their fantasies turned out to be the greatest c*******r of them all.

Right? I'll admit, Season 8 felt rushed and the finale was a damp squib but the reactions from certain corners of the internet were completely ridiculous.

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
 Montreal Canadiens
PostPosted: Fri Mar 27, 2020 4:12 pm

I have watched exactly 0 episodes of Game of Thrones.

Started reading the first book a while ago and got sick of it. :(

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
 Vancouver Canucks

GROUP_AVATAR
PostPosted: Fri Mar 27, 2020 4:17 pm

The Witcher books are better. One man's opinion anyway.

CKA Super Elite
CKA Super Elite

GROUP_AVATAR
PostPosted: Fri Mar 27, 2020 4:55 pm

There's always someone discontent with the end of a show. I was fine with Picard, it was pretty obvious early in the final episode and I'm happy about Data.
As for GoT, what the hell did ppl expect? Dany's flaws were shown clearly in the last few seasons, though I didn't like how rushed the last season was.

It's showmanship. Entertainment. Nobody likes it when it's over.

Can't wait for the Orville.

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
 Vancouver Canucks

GROUP_AVATAR
PostPosted: Fri Mar 27, 2020 8:50 pm

I don't know why you're all so obsessed about the death of Daenerys. If I had to pick what's dumbest about the finale it would be the whole choosing of the ruler of the 7 kingdoms scene.

But now that I think about it, it wasn't just the finale. It was the last 3 episodes that screwed over the whole series so bad I can't take it seriously anymore.

I liked the the Picard Season 1 finale. There were fumbles but they could be forgiven. Until Picard "died." Then he didn't. That ruined it for me. Either give me the pathos or don't but don't make me feel then say "Ha ha. Tricked you."

I honestly thought Picard's death was a series ending finale. Then it wasn't. Would have been something to remember if it was though. Bringing him back was a little to much magic thinking.

Last edited by N_Fiddledog on Mon Mar 30, 2020 11:47 am, edited 2 times in total.

CKA Moderator
CKA Moderator
PostPosted: Sun Mar 29, 2020 6:16 am

herbie wrote:
Can't wait for the Orville.

^^

And Discovery. And American Gods. And Sandman.

CKA Super Elite
CKA Super Elite
 Edmonton Oilers
PostPosted: Sun Mar 29, 2020 12:26 pm

I just realized I'm 2 seasons behind on Better Call Saul...

So the rest of my day is planned...

We've all agree at this point that there's nothing wrong with dropping a screen in front of the kids and ignoring them until it's feeding time, right?

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
 Vancouver Canucks

GROUP_AVATAR
PostPosted: Sun Mar 29, 2020 12:34 pm

Unsound wrote:
I just realized I'm 2 seasons behind on Better Call Saul...

So the rest of my day is planned...

[B-o]

I've been avoiding watching the new season of Westworld so I can have a watchathon later.

CKA Uber
CKA Uber

GROUP_AVATAR
PostPosted: Mon Mar 30, 2020 10:28 am

raydan wrote:
I have watched exactly 0 episodes of Game of Thrones.

Started reading the first book a while ago and got sick of it. :(

I've never watched an episode of GoT and have no reason to start now...but I did start watching Designated Survivor on Netflix recently and it's been pretty entertaining so far.

CKA Super Elite
CKA Super Elite

GROUP_AVATAR
PostPosted: Mon Mar 30, 2020 11:03 am

Don't be bragging that you've never watched GoT, it was one of the best written and entertaining series ever to be on television.
Take it from a total fantasy hating skeptic. 1000 year old Valerian steel and the morons haven't fucking discovered gunpowder yet? Normally as soon as dragons or magic are mentioned I toss the book into the trash. Kind of redeemed HBO for me.

Used to be a watcher of Designated Survivor on regular TV, seemed to just peter out on Netflix, just as House of Cards went out with a whimper.

This year I actually enjoy Evil, Stumptown and Prodigal Son on regular tv, Westworld on HBO and watching the newest Altered Carbon on Netflix.

CKA Uber
CKA Uber

GROUP_AVATAR
PostPosted: Mon Mar 30, 2020 11:37 am

herbie wrote:
Don't be bragging that you've never watched GoT, it was one of the best written and entertaining series ever to be on television.
Take it from a total fantasy hating skeptic. 1000 year old Valerian steel and the morons haven't fucking discovered gunpowder yet? Normally as soon as dragons or magic are mentioned I toss the book into the trash. Kind of redeemed HBO for me.

Used to be a watcher of Designated Survivor on regular TV, seemed to just peter out on Netflix, just as House of Cards went out with a whimper.

This year I actually enjoy Evil, Stumptown and Prodigal Son on regular tv, Westworld on HBO and watching the newest Altered Carbon on Netflix.

I don't mind fantasy is okay, but the GoT universe doesn't seem particularly interesting to me.

There are also lots of other well-rated shows I've never watched because I'm not into the genre/setting or it's on a streaming service I don't subscribe to. Years ago when I still had cable, I looked at how much getting HBO would cost (because of other shows like Veep and Silicon Valley), but I didn't feel it was worth the cost.

Then I cut the cord and got Netflix and I'm done - I refuse to sign up for half a dozen services, especially with how much time I have for TV (a few hours per week).

On occasion, I'll take out a season of a TV show from the library and see if it's to my liking or not, but if it doesn't win me over after the first disc (three or four episodes), I'm out. I've taken GoT out a couple times, but always chose to watch something else.

Who knows, maybe if the final season hadn't had so much controversy, I would have gotten around to it, but now it sounds like a great series that ended horribly, so I figure what's the point now?

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
 Calgary Flames
PostPosted: Mon Mar 30, 2020 1:29 pm

The squeaky wheel gets the grease, and that's exactly what happened when the mob of whiner/haters got on Twitter to diss GOT's ending. Like I've said before, just like Ramsey Bolton made absolutely clear, if anyone thought there was going to be a happy ending then they weren't paying attention. The continent is a war-devastated hellhole. 90% of the characters were killed, usually in horrible fashion. The remaining few are basically shell-shocked for the rest of their lives. Just because it was swords & dragons doesn't mean it was children's fare where the ones left standing go singing and holding hands into perpetual happiness. If anything the cycle just starts again. The dragons and ice-monsters might be gone, but the scheming nobles and other scumbags will pick up where the previous generation left off and get back to their typical shitty behaviour in short order.

Here's what it came down to - GOT was too mature for a large part of it's audience, the kind of audience that won't ever grow up. GOT was just the reality of power-politics placed in a fantasy setting. Just like in reality in that world being good meant being gullible and having real honour meant putting the noose around your own neck. That's probably what got the haters so stirred up at the end, the show putting on display that the worst people always win in the end, just like happens continually all around us in real life. "Good King Jon" was never in the cards at all, and the fate he got in the last scene was as fortunate a thing that could have ever happened to him. Fuck, for him it was a good ending because he got to return to the only place in his entire life where he'd even been remotely happy with the only people in the world who'd ever been honest or decent to him. Jon actually won the best prize possible in that damn bloody world when he got "sentenced" to having some kind of peace of mind - being kicked out of that non-stop murderous political mess altogether was a huge gift. All the others went back to the same old thing as before and are all stuck in the shit again.

Besides, two of the best battle scenes ever put onto a screen were in the last season of GOT. If people can't be happy with seeing something like that then it's no point talking to them about any of it because they're obviously the kind who'll manage to complain about anything and everything.

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
 Vancouver Canucks

GROUP_AVATAR
PostPosted: Mon Mar 30, 2020 6:28 pm

I didn't dislike the last season of Game of Thrones because it was too dark or had too much gravitas. I didn't like it because I thought it was stupid.

Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 1535 posts ]  Previous  1 ... 93  94  95  96  97  98  99 ... 103  Next