canadian forums
bottom

Canadian Forums

Author Topic Options
CKA Uber
CKA Uber
 Calgary Flames
PostPosted: Mon Mar 30, 2020 6:50 pm

Well, you're entirely wrong and we'll have to leave it at that.

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
 Vancouver Canucks

GROUP_AVATAR

Warnings: (20%)
PostPosted: Mon Mar 30, 2020 8:52 pm

I disagree. And "we?"

...Oh, alright... :wink:

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
 Calgary Flames
PostPosted: Mon Mar 30, 2020 9:45 pm

PS: you're still wrong and always will be.

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
 Vancouver Canucks

GROUP_AVATAR

PostPosted: Mon Mar 30, 2020 11:34 pm

Don't wanna get out easy, eh?

OK.

If we think of the Game of Thrones finale as a 2 parter containing the last 2 episodes it was the worst finale in the history of television.

Wrong, right. Potayto, Potahto. That's the camp I line up with and we are legion.

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
 Calgary Flames
PostPosted: Mon Mar 30, 2020 11:58 pm

13 million people watched the finale.
2 million signed some petition afterwards.
Kinda wildly overestimating your significance there, legionnaire. :lol:

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
 Vancouver Canucks

GROUP_AVATAR

PostPosted: Tue Mar 31, 2020 12:02 am

10 million never wanted to think about the series again.

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
 Calgary Flames
PostPosted: Tue Mar 31, 2020 1:24 am

And Trump won the total vote. And had the biggest inauguration crowd in history too. :lol:

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
 Vancouver Canucks

GROUP_AVATAR

PostPosted: Tue Mar 31, 2020 10:09 am

I was one of those who didn't sign the petition and just wanted to forget, but if you're going to force me to remember I'll tell you this again. There was a lot more than the sudden flip of Khaleesi to mad queen that turned me off GoT.

As far as that one goes, I get it...they killed her maid and confidente so she was pissed. And that was the final spark that inflamed her crazed bloodlines. But actually that whole death of Missendi thing felt forced and a little unreasoned.

There was inconsistent crap in general towards the end of the series. Like one day the bad guy just had to think in the general direction of a dragon with his scorpion and 'down goes Fraser.' The next time scorpion bolts are blackening the skies and they might as well have been shooting at the moon.

The Jaime and Brienne thing got cringey. Like much of season 8 they flipped the character arcs quicker than you could accept them without convincing buildup.

The final battle of the Clegane brothers was anticlimactic to the point of boredom.

A lot of storylines were left dangling. If they told us how the tarly family made out, for instance, I don't remember.

I can't even remember what happened to two of my favorite characters, Bron and Jorah, and don't care anymore if I do, because it was probably stupid.

Deciding who got the Iron throne reminded me of those old Mickey Rooney movies where they'd go, "C'mon kids, lets put on a show."

All in all the final half of the final season felt rushed and silly. It felt like a betrayal of canon making it hard to even take the far superior early seasons seriously. The denouement was outright stupid.

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
 Montreal Canadiens
PostPosted: Tue Mar 31, 2020 1:08 pm

Short film inspired by the life and heritage of Antonio Pasin, inventor of the Radio Flyer wagon

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
 Calgary Flames
PostPosted: Tue Mar 31, 2020 3:19 pm

N_Fiddledog wrote:
I was one of those who didn't sign the petition and just wanted to forget, but if you're going to force me to remember I'll tell you this again. There was a lot more than the sudden flip of Khaleesi to mad queen that turned me off GoT.

As far as that one goes, I get it...they killed her maid and confidente so she was pissed. And that was the final spark that inflamed her crazed bloodlines. But actually that whole death of Missendi thing felt forced and a little unreasoned.

Missandei's death was huge but Varys' treason was the final straw. Another thing few had noticed was that Dany wasn't really listening to any of her advisers for quite a while. She kept them around more as friends and confidents than anything else. With Varys' death the only ones left were Grey Worm, who was openly encouraging her towards atrocity, and Tyrion whom she no longer trusted. From the beginning of the series, starting with Jorah, she always had someone there to rely on. At the end they were almost all gone. Maybe if Jorah hadn't died at Winterfell she might not have destroyed the city as he would have clearly counselled her against doing such a thing. But with him gone? There were no rungs on the ladder left for her to grasp, and the spiral into delusional madness was unstoppable

Quote:
There was inconsistent crap in general towards the end of the series. Like one day the bad guy just had to think in the general direction of a dragon with his scorpion and 'down goes Fraser.' The next time scorpion bolts are blackening the skies and they might as well have been shooting at the moon.

Cersei had a lot of time to have improved-model scorpions built to be ready for the eventual dragon attack. TV and movies don't allow it to come across properly but a lot of the scenes have to be regarded as taking place over weeks and months, not hours or days. I'm not sure what a show can do to make that effect come across more convincingly. As for them killing the dragon in mid-air I don't see what the complaint is, not after it's been shown that the largest one with the toughest scales could be hurt by a bolt. Given that I don't see what's not plausible about the smaller one that got the shit kicked out of it at the battle of Winterfell falling prey to a scorpion when it unwittingly flies across the path of a genuinely dangerous warrior like Euron manning the firing mechanism of one of the devices.

Quote:
The Jaime and Brienne thing got cringey. Like much of season 8 they flipped the character arcs quicker than you could accept them without convincing buildup.

Jaime was cursed by loving an evil person, something he couldn't ever escape from. Go back to season six when he told Edmure at the siege of Riverun that he'd kill everyone in the world if that was the only way he could get back to Cersei. That was his fate all along, to die with her. As for Brienne the sex part was just him doing the last kind act of his life, for his only real friend aside from Tyrion. Whatever good he had in him was always going to be eclipsed by his attachment to Cersei. Besides, it's HBO and they're always going to put scenes like that in for those who only watch for the tiddies & fucking.

Quote:
The final battle of the Clegane brothers was anticlimactic to the point of boredom.

Boo on you. It was awesome, fool. :x

Quote:
A lot of storylines were left dangling. If they told us how the tarly family made out, for instance, I don't remember.

Sometimes you have to think for yourself, and actually remember the finer details of their society. Little Sam is now the heir to House Tarly. Older Sam, as both a maester and a member of the Night's Watch, can't wed or have legitimate children, so technically Little Sam is a bastard but as the only surviving male heir to the house. He most would most likely have been legitimized by King Brandon though as that act is well within the king's powers. And all of it is kind of hilarious, and would have given Sam's dad a heart attack from shock if he'd known, because Little Sam is one of Craster's sons-by-incest anyway. Sam and Gilly kept that reality secret, and the only one who really knows the truth is Jon Snow.

It would have been good for Dickon Tarly to have not died. Obviously though he was horrified at what real battle looked like and preferred to die with his father rather than live in a world that he thought was going to be ruled by a monster like Daenerys.

Quote:
Can't even remember what happened to two of my favorite characters, Bron and Jorah, and don't care anymore if I do, because it was probably stupid.

Sigh. Bronn survived it all by staying out of the final battles, and was made Master of Coin in King Brandon's new council. And Jorah died at Winterfell defending Dany against the wights. Were you even paying attention while you were watching these shows, or were you distracted by all the goofy "news" that you absorb that was on the computer at the same time the TV was on?

Quote:
Deciding who got the Iron throne reminded me of those old Mickey Rooney movies where they'd go, "C'mon kids, lets put on a show."

This is how aristocracy behaves. The crown turns into a revolving door. In the end Dany did succeed in "breaking the wheel" with Westeros now being ruled by an elected king instead of a dynastic one. Whether or not it survives is now up to everyone's imagination. Given that a Targaryen eventually goes insane, even the "good" ones, it's best that Jon Snow was exiled to the far north. He wouldn't have been immune from the insanity gene kicking in one day, and if he had children to follow him the same old tragedy would keep happening.

Quote:
All in all the final half of the final season felt rushed...

This we agree on. The season should have gotten two more episodes to fill in the background details and to provide time to explain things better.

Quote:
...and silly. It felt like a betrayal of canon making it hard to even take the far superior early seasons seriously. The denouement was outright stupid.
[/quote][/quote]

Twaddle. You're just being silly yourself.

Last edited by Thanos on Tue Mar 31, 2020 3:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
 Vancouver Canucks

GROUP_AVATAR

PostPosted: Tue Mar 31, 2020 3:21 pm

My point is a lot of that stuff is either forgettable or only memorable by its idiocy.

Do you know what 'Fanwanking' is? It's when a story doesn't make a lot of sense so the viewer builds up or outright creates background details to create the sense that's lacking.

No offense, because I do it too, but you're quite the fanwanker.

Oh and that whole idea of over-Mary-Sue-ing Arya while they Simped John Snow felt dumb too. But yeah, I know...I'm an incel for noticing, right?

Last edited by N_Fiddledog on Tue Mar 31, 2020 3:34 pm, edited 2 times in total.

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
 Calgary Flames
PostPosted: Tue Mar 31, 2020 3:34 pm

Does that apply to you when you flip out and put your own politics into movies and TV shows, and then when someone watches them they find out that nothing at all of what you said happened at all? Like when you took some interview comments from Brie Larson as an opportunity to say Captain Marvel was nothing but an exercise in "woke" misandry, when there was nothing at all of that sort of thing in the at movie? And I mean the actual movie, not the one that you and your neckbeard video buddies on YouTube have made up in your heads as some kind of warped socio/political weapon that you actually believes "rekt's" the other viewpoints. If I extrapolate on GOT it's because I've watched the entire series in binges multiple times, read the books multiple times, and followed GRRM's comments on both the show and the remaining books. What have you got? Another dumb outright lie that cretins like Jim Hoft or Paul Joseph Watson said?

You guys just pull things out of thin air, or right out of your asses, and strawman and gaslight like spastics trying to make it real. You might want to take note of the number of fingers on your own hand that pointing right back at you when you say that kind of thing to someone else. With some of the things you've done and said around here you're the last person who should be listened to on anything, and that included genre fiction as much as it does current events & politics.

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
 Vancouver Canucks

GROUP_AVATAR

PostPosted: Tue Mar 31, 2020 3:57 pm

I always get misunderstood on my Brie Larson critiques so here: I'll give them to you in quotable clarity. They're not what you want to believe. And they're all supportable. I can give you a YouTube clip of Brie for the first one upon request.

Brie Larson attacked the fans, virtue signalling an SJW superiority over them for not liking one of the movies she made. That's how she was introduced offscreen. She continued to build on that angry 3rd wave feminist stance, posturing moral superiority and disdain for the fans as her movie approached.

Marvel was dropping all kinds of suggestions how all the other traditional heroes needed to be gone or minimized and Captain Marvel was going to take over as the new woke leader, so you had to see her movie to make sense of the new woke Marvel coming with Endgame.

They backed down on the idea of woke-ifying those two movies - if it ever was a real plan. As it was though it was a sneaky but effective market strategy. The controversy put Captain Marvel in front of millions of potential viewers without spending a nickel. It was the whole, "I don't care what you say about me just spell my name right" strategy.

But on the way there we got to see what a disagreeable off-screen hyper-SJW personality Brie Larson was. And she wouldn't shut up or stop proving it. She was perfect for the ruse.

Captain Marvel won't be able to hide behind Avengers Endgame next time though.

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
 Calgary Flames
PostPosted: Tue Mar 31, 2020 7:01 pm

All I know is that this is all my fault. I never learned apparently not to get into nerd-wars over what is and isn't "good" back in the days when I hung out at the comic book stores.

I should go torture some Star Wars fans instead. Their hysterics are way more funny. Tell them that Chewbacca is gay and wait for some 390 lb Tusken Raider cosplayer to suicide-bomb him(her)self at the gates of the Skywalker Ranch in despair.

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
 Vancouver Canucks

GROUP_AVATAR

PostPosted: Tue Mar 31, 2020 9:16 pm

:lol:

Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 1490 posts ]  Previous  1 ... 94  95  96  97  98  99  100  Next