canadian forums
bottom

Canadian Forums

Author Topic Options
CKA Uber
CKA Uber
 Calgary Flames
PostPosted: Sun Nov 21, 2021 6:38 pm

No, it was horrible. The only good thing about Andromeda was the first season theme song by Alex Lifeson. The SFX were hokey at best. It stank from bottom-to-top with the usual low production values that accompany at least 95% of the product from the SciFi/Space channels, especially the ones that get filmed in Canada. It should have been bagged after the first season instead of inflicting an atrocity on the viewers by getting four more seasons.

CKA Moderator
CKA Moderator
PostPosted: Mon Nov 22, 2021 7:13 am

At least you don't have strong opinions of it.

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
 Calgary Flames
PostPosted: Thu Nov 25, 2021 5:01 pm

The Wheel of Time is interesting. A lot better than The Witcher, that's for certain. It doesn't have much of an edge to it. It's standard fantasy, nothing more. I can see it surviving, but it won't ever be water-cooler conversation material the same way Game Of Thrones was though.

CKA Moderator
CKA Moderator
PostPosted: Fri Dec 10, 2021 9:08 am

See! Now that episode is the Star Trek I remember. Negotiations to bring Vulcans and Romulans back into the Federation in order to stop a galactic catastrophe, and an away mission goes horribly wrong.

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
 Calgary Flames
PostPosted: Fri Dec 10, 2021 1:11 pm

Were there any hetero white males in the episode? Or have they all been kicked out of Starfleet and banished to the prison mines of Rura Penthe for being too problematic & triggering? :wink:

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
 Calgary Flames
PostPosted: Fri Dec 10, 2021 1:50 pm

Umm, HALO anyone?

Not a gamer so I know nothing about the background of this, aside from a couple of mostly crappy direct-to-video movies that were made from this franchise. But I can always enjoy a few episodes of a silly military sci-fi TV show though, full of nothing but blasting evil gooey aliens into slimy bits.

Also, from the classic Zipperfish typo era of yesteryear ....

$1:
I think Ziprepfsih is a pretty cool guy. Eh kills aleins and doesnt afraid of anything.

Ah, the memories. :lol:

CKA Moderator
CKA Moderator
PostPosted: Fri Dec 10, 2021 2:12 pm

Thanos Thanos:
Were there any hetero white males in the episode? Or have they all been kicked out of Starfleet and banished to the prison mines of Rura Penthe for being too problematic & triggering? :wink:

I think there was a green hetero male, and brown one. One died before we could check which side of the street he walked. ;)

Thanos Thanos:
Umm, HALO anyone?

Nope.

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
PostPosted: Fri Dec 10, 2021 8:00 pm

I honestly don’t have that big of a connection to Halo. I know there’s a lot of gamers out there who love the games (and my brother in law was one of the lead programmers on the latest one) but it’s not for me. I’ll still give it a watch though. There’s always potential for it to be good.

Also, holy December saturation Batman! New seasons of The Expanse and The Witcher dropped today and I just finished the first season of Foundation. And then at the end of December, Boba Fett and the next season of Cobra Kai. #firstworldproblems

CKA Moderator
CKA Moderator
PostPosted: Sat Dec 11, 2021 11:42 am

xerxes xerxes:
New seasons of The Expanse

Final season of the Expanse. :(

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
PostPosted: Sat Dec 11, 2021 6:14 pm

DrCaleb DrCaleb:
xerxes xerxes:

Yeah.....I don't know why they're cutting it off. The show is still great and last season was better than season 4. There's still so much excellent material to work with there.

CKA Moderator
CKA Moderator
PostPosted: Sun Dec 12, 2021 12:35 pm

xerxes xerxes:
DrCaleb DrCaleb:
xerxes xerxes:

Yeah.....I don't know why they're cutting it off. The show is still great and last season was better than season 4. There's still so much excellent material to work with there.

Perhaps Mr. Bezos isn't funding it anymore.

CKA Uber
CKA Uber

GROUP_AVATAR
PostPosted: Mon Dec 13, 2021 12:03 pm

Thanos Thanos:
Umm, HALO anyone?

Not a gamer so I know nothing about the background of this, aside from a couple of mostly crappy direct-to-video movies that were made from this franchise. But I can always enjoy a few episodes of a silly military sci-fi TV show though, full of nothing but blasting evil gooey aliens into slimy bits.

HALO was originally planned to be a movie long, long ago, but Microsoft's greed just for the screenplay rights, which were rumoured to be around $10 million, killed that 15 or 20 years ago.

I only played the first game, but it was hella fun and one of the best FPS I've ever played, so a TV show done right could be interesting.

However, I'm skeptical that it will have the budget necessary for all the aliens and special effects, so I won't hold my breath on this.

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
 Vancouver Canucks

GROUP_AVATAR
PostPosted: Wed Dec 15, 2021 11:52 pm

Hawkeye just got good.

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
 Calgary Flames
PostPosted: Thu Dec 16, 2021 8:57 pm

The Witcher premiere was pretty good. Henry Cavill dominates every time he's on the screen, which is good. When they concentrate on hideous monster activity the show is incredible, like they did last night with the vampire - that was some seriously fucked up stuff. Where the show falls short though is with the human interactions. Monsters and battles? Those are uniformly great. The human context though? I dunno, comes across as too Young Adult fiction to me. The Wheel of Time has the same issue IMO. Anything that features the baddies on the screen is something worth sitting up to notice. When the characters have their conversations and emoting and such my interest drops off greatly. Which is a shame because no matter what happens both shows have gone all-out on CGI FX, and main star casting.

I must be jaded. I get that people got burned out by the nihilism in Game Of Thrones where everyone was capable of committing evil and by the end of the series pretty much all of them had done so. But the characterization was just more real and much better IMO, because it stayed true to the personalities in the books. If Witcher and WOT are doing the same them to me it unfortunately means that the characters in the books aren't that compelling. I dunno. I guess in this day and age I need to see the good guys with as much of an edge as the bad ones.

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
PostPosted: Thu Dec 16, 2021 11:28 pm

Good point. That’s what GoT (both the books and the show) did so well: nuanced characters. Characters that weren’t exclusively virtuous or evil, except for Ned the doomed saint. Too often fantasy writers make their characters almost unbelievably good or evil and GRRM’s cleverness was to muddy the waters in that regard.

Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 1979 posts ]  Previous  1 ... 108  109  110  111  112  113  114 ... 132  Next